ATTN: Caesar 3 players

Everything Caesar IV that doesn't fit elsewhere
milton

ATTN: Caesar 3 players

Postby milton » Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:31 am

I just got Caesar IV (slow, I know) and after 3 days I've reinstalled Caesar 3.

It just gave me such a sense of unbearable nostalagia that I had to reinstall it. Anyone had this problem? Sadly though, another 2 days later I uninstalled Caesar 3 as the stupid plagues, disasters and overall crummy system (walker-based system without roadblocks = phail) gave me a headache.

But my main point is, can't CIV be more like CIII? As in, instead of plopping down an insulae and gaining instant 70 workers, can't you be slowly popping tents down first and watching your city grow from it's humble beginnings?

Also, there is a lack of momuments which is one of the things I really enjoyed about Pharoah and Zeus.

All in all, I really wished CIV would be abit more complex; at the current stage it's really too easy. Abit more like Children of the Nile (but that is too complex imo!). I think alot of people are going to disagree with me though...

But still a very enjoyable game.

Kiya

Postby Kiya » Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:21 am

"milton" wrote:But my main point is, can't CIV be more like CIII? As in, instead of plopping down an insulae and gaining instant 70 workers, can't you be slowly popping tents down first and watching your city grow from it's humble beginnings?

All in all, I really wished CIV would be abit more complex; at the current stage it's really too easy. Abit more like Children of the Nile (but that is too complex imo!). I think alot of people are going to disagree with me though...

Yes, in its own way C4 is very enjoyable. But it being too easy!? You want it more complex? :confused: :rolleyes: What comes to gaining instant 70 workers, well, they have to arrive the map first and then your insulae too.

But I agree that it would be more fun if there were monuments to be built like in Pharaoh and CoTN.

Keith

Postby Keith » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:43 am

"milton" wrote:I just got Caesar IV (slow, I know) and after 3 days I've reinstalled Caesar 3.

It just gave me such a sense of unbearable nostalagia that I had to reinstall it. Anyone had this problem? Sadly though, another 2 days later I uninstalled Caesar 3 as the stupid plagues, disasters and overall crummy system (walker-based system without roadblocks = phail) gave me a headache.

But my main point is, can't CIV be more like CIII? As in, instead of plopping down an insulae and gaining instant 70 workers, can't you be slowly popping tents down first and watching your city grow from it's humble beginnings?

Also, there is a lack of momuments which is one of the things I really enjoyed about Pharoah and Zeus.

I keep all the old games installed. From Caesar III through Emperor. I also have CotN and Caesar IV installed. So any time I get the urge, I pop in my CD and play any one of them.

You can control walkers in Caesar III with gatehouses and disconnected blocks. The people in Caesar IV behave much more normally by comparison, no random and destination walkers to worry about.

I would have loved to have had to have built the colosseum, circus maximus, triumpha arches, and other monuments in Caesar IV. I was disappointed this sort of thing was left out of Caesar IV, especially after having them in the older games like Pharaoh, Zeus, and Emperor.

CotN was a independent effort by TM so they could pretty much create the game that they wanted. Caesar IV was developed under contract to Sierra and I'm sure Sierra had some ideas about what they wanted Caesar IV to be.

Novicia

Postby Novicia » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:36 am

Well, I can relate to nostalgia. After watching a documentary on ancient China recently, I just had to rush over to my PC and play Emperor immediately after the show!

Of all the old games, CIII is the one I go back to the most. This could be that, despite years of playing, I still haven't finished the military campaign :o I'm just pants at soldiering, but I love this game to bits and go with the flow of disasters, pulling at oars and watching my soldiers leg it. It's all a hoot, really.

I can't make any comparisons with CIV yet as I've only just started the game. In fact, I won't make comparisons, because after such a long wait, I'm simply going to enjoy CIV for what it is. Took me ages to save up for a new PC but I got the baby this weekend and CIV and all the old games are now installed and playing perfectly. :D

Just one question. I bought CIV months ago when it first came out in the UK, just so I could croon over the box. Is there anything I need to look out for re patches?

Keith

Postby Keith » Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:10 am

Yes. You may have to download and install the 1.2 patch if your version is not already version 1.2.

http://ftp.sierra.com/sierra/caesar4/updates/caesariv_update_en_10_12.exe

Caesar IV is a blend of items from Caesar III and TM's "Children of the Nile." So while there are some familiar things in the game it plays completely different. People get what they need when they need it....no more walkers making deliveries. No more roadblocks required. In the case of Caesar III which didn't have roadblocks you could use Gatehouses and 1 tile gaps in the road to serve the same purpose.

Novicia

Postby Novicia » Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:13 pm

My version's 1.0, so thanks for the link, Keith.

I don't think I'll miss those walkers too much!

Pantaliamon

Postby Pantaliamon » Mon May 05, 2008 5:51 am

Caesar III is still my favorite out of all the ones I've played. I haven't played Emperor or CotN (though I am thinking that I am going to have to get CotN sometime soon because so many people seem to love it) but despite its problems and irritations, Caesar III is the one I like the most.

Jaguars

Postby Jaguars » Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:50 am

I don't like Caesar IV as it has too high system requirement and my PC is quite old. Caesar III is my favorite city-building game of all time even I've played Zeus or Emperor. With me, it's almost perfect, with a simple and easy rules to learn but challenged to play. I like Impressions, their game need a low system requirement and very fun !

CatMajik

Postby CatMajik » Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:20 pm

My absolute favorites are Pharoah/Cleo. CotN and CIV are great, but they just don'e quite compare to Pharoah/Cleo.

Bahahotep

Postby Bahahotep » Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:52 am

My favorite city builder so far is CotN. Though, I have only just started to play it, so maybe I'm just still in the honeymoon period...

Return to “General Discussion”