Postby templier » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:04 am

Topic. :)

If so, what would you like to see?

Keith

Postby Keith » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:36 am

Here we go again....

dorn

Postby dorn » Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:45 pm

I would like to see a new CB as I didn't like the demo of Cities XL. I do hate the idea of only laying out areas for shops and housing and industries an so on, i prefer to build every little house and part of my city itself, one by one.

Stardog

Postby Stardog » Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:47 pm

I don't think there will ever be a sequel from Tilted Mill.

If a new company gets the license I hope they go all out graphically. One of the few ways to get decent sales will be to make it a must-have for graphics card benchmarking.

I hope they can scale things up too so that we're not playing with miniature buildings. The visuals shouldn't be abstract - we should be able to walk the streets 1:1 in first-person.

A less realistic idea would be to mix the game with Civ so that you can zoom out all the way and see other cities and follow your traders on their actual journey, and also build multiple cities on the same map, but we'll need better computers for that... :P

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:03 pm

"Stardog" wrote:I don't think there will ever be a sequel from Tilted Mill.

Never say never. TM bought the rights to COTN from Myelin Media, the original publisher & now owns it outright. ;) That resulted in Alexandria, the COTN XPac.

TM now also owns the Name ~ Immortal Cities (Immortal Cities: Children of the Nile) ~ As in Immortal Cities: Nile Online !!!

HOOT !!!
Last edited by Tinkerbell on Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PantherX

Postby PantherX » Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:11 pm

I am pretty sure TM will be doing another CB, I don't think another Caesar would be very smart right now since we had so many rome games over the last couple years.

I think it would be fun to have a modern CB, perhaps building existing cities. The large building projects could be landmark buildings and structures.

When building say San Francisco, you need to build the Golden Gate Bridge and perhaps it has a Transamerica building. New York could have like the empire state building and/or one of the bridges. Every major city seems to have it's landmark and I think it would be quite the blast. The traffic problems alone could be a stand alone game.

AND if were going to do another historical game it's definitely time for the Incas or Mayan dynasties. ;)

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:15 pm

"PantherX" wrote:I am pretty sure TM will be doing another CB, I don't think another Caesar would be very smart right now since we had so many rome games over the last couple years.

Agreed! No do-overs. Something fresh & new!

...cough...Hinterland Orc Lords anyone?......Mosby's Confederacy?...cough...

I think it would be fun to have a modern CB, perhaps building existing cities. The large building projects could be landmark buildings and structures.

TM's excellent CB game SimCity Societies/Destinations expansion at yer service!

AND if were going to do another historical game it's definitely time for the Incas or Mayan dynasties. ;)

OMG <faints> You bet!

Historic America or MesoAmerica is at the top of my Beg List!

:)
Last edited by Tinkerbell on Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

pcgamer2

Postby pcgamer2 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:26 pm

"Tinkerbell" wrote:

TM's excellent CB game SimCity Societies/Destinations expansion at yer service!

Well, SCS really doesn't cater that. Being able to build existing real life cities like functions are not here, SCS you build societies, you aren't building cities. It just isn't realistic to call something L.A or Paris when your population is like 25-50k or so.Plus, there aren't any "real life" landmarks like the Eiffel Tower or Statue of Liberty.You honestly have better tools to rebuild a real life city in City Life 2008 edition. But the problem is, SCS is owned by EA, and i see there is a very slim to none chance that the SCS will continue on as a series, i think its a dead project.

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:26 pm

"pcgamer2" wrote:Well, SCS really doesn't cater that. Being able to build existing real life cities like functions are not here, SCS you build societies, you aren't building cities. It just isn't realistic to call something L.A or Paris when your population is like 25-50k or so.Plus, there aren't any "real life" landmarks like the Eiffel Tower or Statue of Liberty.You honestly have better tools to rebuild a real life city in City Life 2008 edition.

Maxis SimCity sucked. Even C3 was much superior to SimCity & I hate C3. SCS is much better

But the problem is, SCS is owned by EA, and i see there is a very slim to none chance that the SCS will continue on as a series, i think its a dead project.

There you go again with the desire for clones. I want new fresh different, like how TM improved SimCity. TM has fixed the Caesar Series too! Time to move on...
Last edited by Tinkerbell on Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:37 pm, edited 4 times in total.

pcgamer2

Postby pcgamer2 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:17 am

"Tinkerbell" wrote:Maxis SimCity sucked. Even C3 was much superior to SimCity & I hate C3. SCS is much better

There you go again with the desire for clones. I want new fresh different, like how TM improved SimCity. TM has fixed the Caesar Series too! Time to move on...

yes and in away SCS was a clone in a way too. I hated maxis simcity too, SCS is a lot better, but of course with most it wasn't.

SCS is a new and unpolished series.I think it needs a sequel or tilted mill to make their own series but taking some of the ideas from SCS that focuses mostly on technical part of the game and the game interaction and sims AI. The program is pretty heavy, seems just be one big pile of mess that if you can find a way to get it to chug along on certain systems and operating systems, you have an art. A cleaner coding for sure, and get rid of .net please.

the sims AI could also use a beef up.Im game for any changes, but i love the core part of the game, but for features mostly just expansion pack like adds will be satisfying.Landmarks will be nice, larger maps, a different graphic engine to give crisp grass so you can at least tell the difference between a lush green sunshine valley and a temperate coastal rocky climate.I think a lot of the ideas from mods should be included, winter holiday a must.

PantherX

Postby PantherX » Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:20 am

I never liked any of the Simcity games, wrong side of the fence I guess :) Basically I was not interested in buying SCS until I noticed all the talk on the forums about how it did not play like a Simcity game. I was very happy that I got to place specific buildings instead of just zoning.

I like SCS but unfortunately got board with it rather quickly after I got all the achievements and played with a few other ideas. I have destinations now so hopefully that will keep me busy for a while once I start playing it.

:cool:
:cool:

Zamolxes

Postby Zamolxes » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:08 pm

Sadly, I dont think we'll see another Caesar for a very long long time. Between C3 and C4 I think were 8 years, we can safely assume will be the same with C5. Besides I really dont see what can be improved. Ok, a better food distribution system, maybe a new size map, something gigantic, but all could be adresed with a patch or expansion. I guess they got C4 pretty close to perfect :rolleyes:

goonsquad

Postby goonsquad » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:47 pm

"Zamolxes" wrote: I guess they got C4 pretty close to perfect :rolleyes:

If only it were true....

It's a great game, in many ways a worthy successor to C3, but so buggy. Buggier than a plague of locusts. The military AI is horrible, but that's the least of it really, although the food distribution system seems fine to me. I'd love someone to pick up C4 and really fix it, but sadly the chance of that happening is virtually nil.
Last edited by goonsquad on Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Pharaoh Pepy

Postby Pharaoh Pepy » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:11 pm

Given that there will be a Rome Total War II, Paradox's Rome and the upcoming Rome II, Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome, etc upcoming, there is a great hunger for deep Rome themed games. I'd a game based around the fifth and sixth century stuggles where great classical cities have shrunk to hilltop citadels, which still have to pay tax to sustain Constantinople, might work. Recreating a small medieval settlement with a Rome theme, seems interesting to me.

I played Caesar IV, well playing it, and there are bugs. For instance deletion of buildings seems oddly reluctant. It does look fine after all these years. Caesar IV has many worthwhile aspects, but Caesar III seems more solid as a piece of design.
Last edited by Pharaoh Pepy on Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sithlord72

Caesar 5 suggestion

Postby sithlord72 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:18 am

I have a suggestion for a Caesar 5:

It would be a Role Playing Game, City Building Simulation, Empire Building Simulation and Life Simulation. You can rule the Roman Empire from 300 B.C. to 476 A.D. where you get to be a Roman governor or governess depending on the gender your choose for your character and work your way to becoming a Roman Emperor or Roman Empress. You can choose you character's race, gender, appearance, nationality and religion. Also it would be cool to have a detailed Roman Empire scenario where have very detailed Roman cities and have to deal with the other governors and senators. You can have gladiator shows and chariot races to make your people happy. You also have to deal with the praetorian guard and members of the imperial family as well as generals and client rulers. You also have to deal with plebians and barbarians as well as rival civilizations. You also would have Roman wonders like the Portus lighthouse, Pantheon, Colosseum, Nero's Golden House, Trajan Market, Caracallas Baths, Hadrian Wall, Hadrian’s Tomb, Diocletian's Palace, Trajan’s Column, Constantine’s Arch and more. There will be 65 Roman Emperors including Augustus, Tiberius, Caligula, Claudius, Nero, Vespasian, Titus, Domitian, Trajan, Hadrian, Marcus Aurielius, Commodus, Severus, Caracella, Diocletian, Constantine and more.

It would be cool to have historical preset scenarios like the Punic Wars, Roman Civil Wars, Roman Empire, Hun War, Jewish War, Dacian War, Roman invasion of Britain, Gladiator War, Byzantine Wars and much more. There is also a late Roman Empire scenario where you have a split Empire. The Western Roman Empire and a Eastern Byzantine Empire. There is a Byzantine Empire scenario 330 to 1453. The leaders of the Byzantine Empire is Justinian, Empress Theodora, Justinian Dynasty, Heraclian Dynasty, Isaurian Dynasty, Nikephorian Dynasty, Amorian Dynasty, Macedonian Dynasty, Komnenid Dynasty, Doukid Dynasty, Komnenid Dynasty, Angelid Dynasty, Laskarid Dynasty, Palailogan Dyansty as well many others until 1453. You also have to deal with Turks, the Papacy, Venicians, the Crusades and more. You can rule the Byzantine Empire from 330 to 1453 and ends with the Byzantine-Turkish War.

It would be cool to have day and night cycles, Seasons, Weather systems and cycles like rain storms, snow storms, hurricanes, earthquakes, volcanoes and more. You also have an interactive 3-D palace and senate house where you can interact with emperors, empresses, praetorian guards senators and imperial family members.

It also be cool to have a combination of a Simcity type game with the Sims 3 where you can create the citizens in your cities. You can create your citizens appearance, gender, nationality, religion, outfits and more. You can have your citizens give in Roman apartments and have them move to Roman Villas. Have them go into Roman industries. You can have them be gladiators, charioteers, soldiers, assassins, actors, senators, praetorian guards and more.

There would also be multiple storylines with multiple endings. The base storyline is based on the I Claudius series where you as a Roman Governor or Governess has to deal with the Julio-Claudian Dynasty. You have do deal with Emperors Augustus, Tiberius, Caligula, Claudius and Nero. As well as dealing with Empress Livia, Empress Julia, Sejanus, Macro, Empress Messalina, Empress Agrippina and more. The current Emperor will effect the building projects you are on. You can also ally yourself with senators, members of the imperial family to gain more favor and money.

After you become Roman Emperor or Roman Empress you have total control of your Empire. You can also have senators, members of the imperial family, citizens, religious cultists and client rulers assassinated, poisoned, forced to commit suicide, exiled or executed. You also get a lot more money and resources. You also have 3-D land battles, sea battles, gladiator shows and chariot races. You have a trading system by ship, canal and carts. You have built cities like Rome, Pompeii, Athens, Alexandria, Jerusalem, Londonium, Corinth, Sparta, Byzantium, Carthage, Antioch, Ravenna, Petra, Damascus and much more. As well as build cities in any providence in the empire. You can build a Roman Villa for yourself and then when you are powerful enough you can build a Governor’s Palace.

Here are detailed tech trees:

ROMAN CIVIL WARS
For the Romans only, there may be hidden consequences secretly embedded with some policies, technologies, or buildings to generate massive amounts of temporary unhappiness to initiate Roman civil wars. The unhappiness effects will be cancelled out relatively quickly as soon as the "right" thing is researched or produced.

RELIGION
The resource of "faith" will only become available near the end of the game when Constantine becomes emperor, which will cancel out the effects of existing Roman pagan temples. Pagan temples (i.e. Temple of Mars, Temple of Jupiter, etc.) can be unlocked through the tech tree. Only the Romans will have access to "faith" and the only organized religion will be Christianity. The term Pantheon will be replaced with "Edict" which is basically a law enacted by the Roman Emperor specific to Christianity. All founder and follower beliefs will be replaced with Christian-specific ones.

SLAVERY
There are 4 main elements here: The slave worker unit, the slave camp, slave pool, and the slave market. The slave worker unit can only be obtained by capturing an enemy city and building a slave camp there. The slave camp requires a slave pool which is only found in captured cities. A slave unit will appear outside the city once you build a slave camp in a captured city. The advantage a slave unit has over a regular worker is it works faster and it cost less maintenance. Regular workers are very expensive to maintain. Slave markets have no requirement (except for the proper tech tree discovery) and can be built in any city. Each slave market will give a small amount of base gold and hammer production even without slave camps to represent that the Romans would enslave a small percentage of their own population for crimes, unpaid debt, etc. You can increase the gold and hammer production of slave markets by building slave camps throughout your empire. Each slave camp globally modifies every slave market throughout your empire by a small amount. So lots of slave markets in combination with lots of slave camps will greatly enhance your gold and hammer production. Additionally, you can unlock private slaves by researching private slaves under the Happiness tech tree category. Private slaves will increase the happiness of the city, and requires the slave market to exist in the city. Private slaves allows Private tutors which increases science and culture. The slave market will make available many other choices such as slave farmers, slave miners, gladiator schools, and more.

TECHNOLOGY TREE

Each of the 10 Main Branches on the tech tree will have 10 discoveries.

Tech Tree Branch #1: State
1. Forum Romanum - Requires Legend of Romulas. Decreases unhappiness. Adds culture.
2. Senate - Requires Forum Romanum. Allows construction of the Senate building. Decreases unhappiness. Adds culture.
3. Proconsul - Allows construction of the Proconsul building. Decreases unhappiness. Adds culture.
4. Courthouse - Allows construction of the courthouse building. Decreases unhappiness. Adds culture. Courthouse allows Freedmen (increases population). Also allows Crucifixion (which requires courthouse) reducing unhappiness.
5. Embassies - Allows embassies to be established.
6. The Emperors - Senate obsolete. Allows Palaces and Praetorian Guard. New Era: Age of Emperors
7. Hostages - Allows open border, and knowledge sharing diplomacy.
8. Defensive Pacts - Allows defensive pact diplomacy.
9. Period of Crisis - Most State structures become obsolete. Allows Assassinations (which requires Praetorian Guard) in capital greatly reducing empire unhappiness.
10. Constantine - Allows a new capital to be built in a different city. Allows powerful Constantinian Walls to be built in the new capital making it virtually impregnable.
11. Diocletian’s Palace – Allows you to pass edicts more quickly as well have more imperial power.

Tech Tree Branch #2: Army
1. Warrior - Allows production of the Warrior unit.
2. Phalanx - Allows production of the Phalanx unit.
3. Manipular System - Allows production of the Manipular Legion.
4. Walls - Allows construction of City Walls.
5. Marian Reforms - Allows production of Marian Legions and Barracks.
6. Monuments - Allows construction of Triumphal Columns and Arches (requires concrete mix).
7. Augustus Reforms - Allows production of the Imperial Legion.
8. Hadrian Reforms - Allows construction of forts and Hadrian's Wall.
9. Period of Crisis - No legions can be produced.
10. Constantine Reforms - Allows production of the Chi Rho Legion (legion requires Church), and allows Constantinian Walls in new capital.

Tech Tree Branch #3: Auxilia
1. Equites - Allows production of early aristocratic cavalry unit.
2. Sentry - Allows production of the sentry unit. Bonus defending cities, and greater visibility than normal units.
3. Sagittarii I - Allows production of the Sagittarii (archer) unit.
4. Catapult - Allows production of the catapult siege weapon.
5. Foederati Foot - Mercenary soldiers. Free to build with high maintenance.
5. Foederati Horse - Mercenary cavalry. Free to build with high maintenance.
6. Auxilia Infantry - Non-citizen soldiers. Can only be produced in captured cities. Not as strong as legions, but requires no Iron.
6. Auxilia Cavalry - Non-citizen cavalry. Can only be produced in captured cities. Stronger than Equites.
7. Sagittarii II - Improved version of the Sagittarii.
7. Ballista - Allows production of the ballista ranged battlefield weapon.
8. Battering Ram - Allows production of the battering ram siege weapon.
9. Period of Crisis - All Auxilia units become obsolete.
10. Foederati Foot II & Horse II - Barbarian Mercenaries. Strongest units available to Romans, but deserts after each offensive attack.

Tech Tree Branch #4: Maritime
1. Fishing Docks - Allows production of the fishing boat.
2. Shipyard - Allows production of the Trireme naval vessel.
3. Embarkment - Allows units to embark.
4. Galley Slaves - Adds Galley Slave promotion (increases speed) for new vessels produced in the city. Requires slave market.
5. Quadrireme - Allows production of the Quadrireme naval vessel. Requires Shipyard.
6. Harbor - Increases gold and food. Allows Harbor, Lighthouse, Trade Ships, and Grain Ships.
Trade Ships - Increases gold for the city of Rome. Requires Harbor & Lighthouse. Can be built at all port cities.
Grain Ships - Increases food for the city of Rome. Requires Harbor & Lighthouse. Can be built at all port cities.
7. Quinquereme - Allows production of the Quinquereme naval vessel. Requires Shipyard.
8. Naval Barracks - Gives promotion bonus to new naval units.
9. Period of Crisis - All warships, trade ships, and grain ships obsolete.
10. Golden Horn - Allows the Golden Horn harbor in Constantine's Capital, and Dromon warship.
11. Greek Fire – Allows Greek Fire Ships.

Tech Tree Branch #5: Population
1. Garden - Adds food to city. Allows settler.
2. Hunting & Farming - Allows hunting camp and farms to be constructed.
3. Granary - Increases food production of Wheat resource.
4. Slave Farmers - Increases food output of tiles. Requires slave market. Allows the Latifundium (plantation).
5. Animal Husbandry - Allows pastures to be constructed.
6. Improved Tools - Increases work speed of worker and slave units.
7. Aqueduct - Increases population growth rate.
8. Water Works - Allows Fountains, Sewer System, and Public Baths
9. Period of Crisis - Barbarians destroy Aqueducts! Aqueducts and Water Works obsolete.
10. Resettlement - Requires Constantine's Capital. Greatly increases population growth of the new capital.

Tech Tree Branch #6: Economy
1. Bartering Post - Increases income.
2. Goods Market - Requires Bartering Post. Increases income.
3. Currency - Allows a city to build wealth.
4. Slave Market - Increases income, and opens the door to many new choices.
5. Roads - Allows caravans, trade routes, and increases travel speed.
6. Taxation - Allows Tax Collector and Census. Increases unhappiness.
7. Expanded Trade - Allows the trading post and Trajan's Market.
8. Bridge Building - Allows bridges.
9. Period of Crisis - Hyperinflation! Currency and Taxation obsolete.
10. The Solidus - Allows the Solidus to become new Roman currency improving the economy.

Tech Tree Branch #7: Production
1. Worker Tools - Allows the Plebeian unit (worker).
2. Stone Working - Allows quarries.
3. Wood Cutting - Allows the removal of forest.
4. Slave Labor - Allows the Slave Camp in conquered cities which produces the Slave Unit.
5. Mining - Allows mines, and the Slave Miners "structure" which increases hammers from hills.
6. Concrete Mix - Allows Concrete Mix to be made in a city which is required by many super structures.
7. Forge - Increases military production.
8. Workshop - Allows the workshop.
9. Period of Crisis - Slave Camp becomes obsolete.
10. Water Mill - Increases production near rivers.

Tech Tree Branch #8: Happiness
1. Festivals - Increases happiness.
2. Theatre - Increases happiness.
3. Villas - Increases happiness.
4. Private Slaves - Increases happiness.
5. Circus Maximus - Increases happiness. Requires concrete mix to exist in city.
6. Colossus of Nero - Increases happiness.
7. The Colosseum - Allows a regular colosseum and allows a super colosseum The Flavian Amphitheatre (can only be built in Rome). Also allows beasts and gladiator schools which increases the happiness of the colosseum and the Flavian Ampitheatre.
8. Exotic Foods - Adds happiness.
9. Period of Crisis - Most happiness structures become obsolete except Private Slaves.
10. Compassion - Allows "Compassion" to be built in cities increasing happiness and food for the poor.
11. The Hippodrome - Have Chariot Races.
12. Caracalla Baths - Increases happiness.
13. Trajan Market- Increases wealth.
14. Trajan Column - Create Imperial Legion faster.
15. Constantine's Arch - Create Praetorian Guards faster.

Tech Tree Branch #9: Knowledge
1. Latin - Allows The Legend of Romulas wonder. (increases science & culture)
2. Adopt Knowledge - Allows Adopt Knowledge in any conquered city which then yields 1 free technology from the tech tree. (max of 2)
3. Greek - Allows the Grammaticus (increases science & culture) and the Law of the Twelve Tables wonder (requires Senate).
4. Adopt Knowledge - Allows Adopt Knowledge in any conquered city where Adopt Knowledge hasn't already taken place. (max of 2)
5. Private Tutors - Requires private slaves. Allows Private tutors which increases culture and science.
6. Adopt Knowledge - Allows Adopt Knowledge in any conquered city where Adopt Knowledge hasn't already taken place. (max of 2)
7. Library - Allows Library and the Library of Celsus wonder. Allows a city to convert hammers into science.
8. Adopt Knowledge - Allows Adopt Knowledge in any conquered city where Adopt Knowledge hasn't already taken place. (max of 2)
9. Period of Crisis - Legend of Romulas and Grammaticus obsolete.
10. Reveal Map - Reveals the entire map.

Tech Tree Branch #10: Religion
1. College of Pontiffs - Allows Pontifex Maximus and Temple of Vesta.
2. Temple of Mars - Benefits military units.
3. Temple of Neptune - Benefits naval units.
4. Temple of Minerva - Benefits science.
5. Temple of Jupiter - Various benefits.
6. The Pantheon - Various benefits.
7. Emperor is God - Requires Praetorian Guard. Adds culture but increases unhappiness.
8. Persecution - Proconsuls and Courthouses become obsolete. Allows Martydom (which requires crucifixion) giving a strong culture bonus.
9. Period of Crisis - All temples and College of Pontiffs obsolete.
10. Constantine - Crucifixion obsolete. Allows faith and happiness structures Church and Church of Holy Apostles wonder (requires Constantine's Capital).

Civilizations included are:

Romans
Carthaginians
Macedonians
Magna Graecia
Egyptians
Seleucids
Pontus
Gauls
Dacians
Goths
Franks
Alamanni
Parthians
Huns

The 27 minor civs (43 cities)
Samnites - Capua, Venusia
Illyrians - Salona, Narona, Dyrrachium
Etruscans - Pisae
Iberians - Saguntum, Bestetani, Ilercavones, Emporion
Celtiberians - Celtiberi, Carpetani, Cantabri, Astures
Lusitanians - Lusitani, Celtici
Numidians - Cirta, Capsa, Vescera
Kingdom of Armenia - Artaxata, Armavir
Britannic Tribes - Cantiaci, Iceni, Brigantes, Picts
Ravenna
Aleria
Sparta
Athens
Corinth
Olbia
Carales
Massilia
Cyrene
Leptis Magna
Jerusalem
Tyre
Damascus
Petra
Gortyna
Salamis
Byzantium
Miletus
Assyria
Persia

Here are some buildings and units for the Byzantine Empire.

For the Units:

Kataphraktoi/Athanatoi: Heavy Byzantine Cavalry armed with a paramerion, pennant lance, and shield. They are modeled with scaled horse armor and klibanion/epilorikion/mail face mask armor. These units have extremely high health and attack, but are rather slow and very expensive. They are also highly resistant to missile weapons.

Imperial Siege Engineers: Imperial Siege Engineers are summoned to the Crusading army to provide their expertise in constructing advanced siege engines. Byzantine Siege Engineers can only be constructed if both an Imperial Apothecary and a Siege Engineering Building is present. In addition to standard siege engines, Imperial Siege Engineers can construct Siphonotor Siege Towers and Helepolis Trebuchets.

Byzantine Siphonotors: Expensive Byzantine elite units carrying cheirosiphon Greek Fire projectors (read: flamethrowers). This unit releases a burst of Greek Fire that immediately sets flame to objects within its narrow line of fire. Slow to reload, slow to fire, and slow moving, Byzantine Siphonotors are useful for clearing out small groups of enemies, and damaging the castle economy, if they can get in range. Siphonotors are also heavily armored – wearing klibanion armor and mail face masks. They have only a limited supply of Greek Fire and must be resupplied by the Imperial Alchemist after several shots.

Varangian Guard: Elite Byzantine unit carrying large two-handed axes and a Viking round shield. Varangians are tough, devastating units that are well-suited for filling the role of shock troops. While expensive, they perform their job admirably in service of the Emperor and his subjects. Varangians are armored in klibanion armor and a visored Rus-styled helm.

Siphonotor Siege Towers: Siege Towers outfitted with two cheirosiphon Greek Fire projectors. These Siege Towers have slightly higher health than normal Siege Towers and can provide a shocking burst of flame to castle walls during assaults. Requires 4 Imperial Siege Engineers to build.

Helepolis Trebuchets: From Helepolis, meaning “City-taker”, these large counterweight trebuchets are the state-of-the-art in castle bombardment. Providing higher damage, range, and health than the standard trebuchet, they are also capable of launching cows and Greek Fire at their enemies. Requires 3 Imperial Siege Engineers to build.

For the Buildings:

Imperial Alchemist’s Hut: Allows you to summon an Imperial Alchemist to your service who provides the “prepared fire” (i.e. Greek Fire) mixture to Siphonotors, Siphonotor Siege Towers, and Helepolis Trebuchets. The Alchemist’s hut appears as an extravagant purple hut with various alchemical ingredients scattered about. The Alchemist himself wanders about in a similar manner to the Apothecary, and also provides a disease immunity bonus to your citizens. Very expensive.

Imperial Mercenary Hut: Similar to the Alchemist’s Hut, the Imperial Mercenary Hut allows for the recruitment of Varangian Guard, Imperial Siege Engineers, Siphonotors, and Kataphraktoi/Athanatoi. It appears as an extravagant purple hut with Byzantine klibanion armor and paramerion swords, as well as colorful shields and pennants. There is also a Chi-Rho vexillum standing outside the entrance.

Basilica: The Byzantine Basilica acts as an upgrade to the Cathedral. The Basilica confers a high religion bonus to your citizens, and also provides a small source of income. For a small payment of resources, the Basilica can also offer its hospital services by trained Hospitaller or Byzantine staff, healing your troops for a short time. Only 1 Basilica can be built in your castle at any one time.
Last edited by sithlord72 on Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Keith

Postby Keith » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:28 am

"sithlord72" wrote:I have a suggestion for a Caesar 5:

It would be a Role Playing Game, City Building Simulation, Empire Building Simulation and Life Simulation. You can rule the Roman Empire ....

No need to repost your idea. I moved your original post from the CotN board you mistakenly posted it on to the Caesar Suggestion board where it should have been.

As far as I know there are no current plans for another Caesar game. It took 8 years between Caesar III and Caesar IV. I wouldn't expect to see another Roman Empire game from TM for some time. There are so many other cultures that have yet to be explored. Over the years just about every possible ancient civilization has been suggested as the basis of a new citybuilder, and that is no exaggeration. Speaking figuratively, such a list of suggested civilizations is "miles long" already.

I like he idea of the 3D combat (given that the game itself is in 3D like Caear IV and Children of the Nile.) I have mentioned that myself using Rome Total War as the example. I have also mentioned many times in the past that I wouldn't mind a even simpler "battle screen" as it was in Caesar II where you fight your battles and manipulate your cohorts during the fight.

So far they want to keep the games they make "citybulders" and they sacrifice many of the realism things you have pointed out to make the game more playable as a "game" and less of a simulation. Combat has always been minimized and simplified in these games because they didn't want them to be war games.

It would be interesting to see how a game could be put together using all those ideas, but it's a question of will they all work together and will I be able to run on the majority of current computers currently owned by fans.

With all those items in the game it could boil down to doing everything or doing less well. We can always fantasize. However, there are some that are fairly sick of Rome and want something different. We are all waiting for more info on Medieval Mayor, the next game in development right now.

They may be returning to the old style 2D graphics used in their games of the old citybuilder series from Sierra. That's the plan for at least Medieval Mayor at any rate.

Return to “General Discussion”