CAESAR IV e-manual request

Everything Caesar IV that doesn't fit elsewhere
Perth2008

CAESAR IV e-manual request

Postby Perth2008 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:58 am

Greetings All,

I recently bought a NEW copy of Caesar IV (Sierra) for my son's birthday at EB Games (in Australia). EB Games has advised me there is no printed manual with the Australian release.

The purchased game did not come with a printed manual NOR does it have a pdf manual file on the either of the 2 installation CD ROMs or in the installed program files folder. So we have no manual.

I have had a good look around the internet and apparently some (non-Australian release) versions of this game came with a 52 page manual. Sierra has gone out of business so while I could have contacted them but it's no longer possible.

My son has played quite a few RTS and city building games like Sierra's earlier Emperor: Rise of the Middle Kingdom so he is muddling through the game.

I would appreciate a scanned or e-copy of the Caesar IV manual or a link to such ... it's just plain unusual that one is not on the CD ROMs and it would be very handy to have one as not all is covered in the tutorials.

Cheers

[ Edited Fri Dec 18 2009, 04:57PM ]

PantherX

Postby PantherX » Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:59 pm

Hello and welcome to the forums!

No manual huh? Bummer although if I remember correctly it was mostly story based but did give you an idea of why things work the way they do.

I think the tutorials are going to help a lot more than the manual ever did but good luck in your quest. I am not 100% sure it is legal to scan and re-distribute the manual.
If it was my company I would have it available as a D/L on the web. Unfortunately Sierra and Vivendi no longer exist so there is no real support for it anymore. :(

Good luck ! It is a great game and tons of fun to play.
:cool:

Perth2008

Postby Perth2008 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:49 am

Hi PantherX

Thanks for your comments.

As you say it seems like all other companies associated with the game have closed their support websites or gone out of business. Tilted Mill seems to be my last chance ... hence my request and I'm unclear how I might bring this to their attention otherwise.

Perhaps it was available at Tilted Mills old caesariv.com website?

I'd rather have a legal copy of the manual ... like most things if you Google "Caesar IV manual" there are lots of links to dubious Torrent sites and I avoid those.

Can you confirm that your copy of the game doesn't have the manual as a pdf on it? Just seems strange as almost all the games I have have a pdf manual and/or quick guide on the installation disks (or unpacked into the games folder when installed).

Well I live in hope ... meanwhile my son is soldiering on and enjoying it.

Cheers
Last edited by Perth2008 on Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

PantherX

Postby PantherX » Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:08 am

I did not find anything on my Hard drive but I did find a pdf file on the install CD.

Attached below is a pdf version of the manual from my installation CD. I don't believe there should be any problems having this available, if any of the Mods or TM want to delete the attachment, It's ok by me.

good luck and enjoy!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
:cool:

Perth2008

Postby Perth2008 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:40 am

Many many thanks PantherX!

I went and had another look at both installation disks in case my eyesight failed me ... no pdfs in either CD's root directory or the subdirectories (DirectX 9c on CD1 and Data on CD2). This is an amazing omission/oversight in the "Australian release" (which is basically the UK edition with an Australian "PG" rating classification sticker over the "12+" UK rating). Even budget (or re-release) titles that don't have a hardcopy manual have a pdf on the disks. Puzzled.

Anyway as you noted the tutorials (and the "?" on-screen information/help button) do assist but eventually some challenge will come along that needs reference to a manual. Like others posting here we've had a few freezes and crashes but overall my son is enjoying it.

Well I hope that Tilted Mill Entertainment, in the absence of Sierra can host the manual and patches on its website as a service to others facing the same or similar problems!

I did find a useful resource while looking for the manual on the internet: http://caesar4.heavengames.com/ though I expect regular forum users know of this.

My son is also looking at the Emperor: Rise of the Middle Kingdom stuff here: http://emperor.heavengames.com/ it was his first city building, but not first RTS, game.

Anyway, thanks again for your VERY kind assistance.

Cheers
Last edited by Perth2008 on Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

floridafairy

manual

Postby floridafairy » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:45 pm

This is exactly what I have been searching for. However, when I click on the link to the PDF file it goes nowhere......... can you please repost? I would be so grateful........ :)

floridafairy

found used copy

Postby floridafairy » Mon May 27, 2013 10:57 pm

Well, I finally had the brilliant idea of going on Amazon and looking for this manual - since I had gone ahead and bought the hard copy of Caesar IV expecting to have a pdf copy of the manual on it (which it doesn't). I have searched and asked everywhere for an electronic manual - to no avail. I did order a used copy of what is supposed to be the manual. Hope it is. So, that might be a possibility for others looking for a manual to go with their game.

Return to “General Discussion”