Caesar IV - Question/Advice..

Everything Caesar IV that doesn't fit elsewhere
RJG

Caesar IV - Question/Advice..

Postby RJG » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:59 pm

Is there any advantage in buying Caesar 4’s retail CD package rather than just doing an electronic download? Does one package offer you anything extra? Is one better or are they the same?

Thanks in advance...

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:51 pm

Howdy, RJG!

Personally, I always prefer to have a disk in my paws.

Keith

Postby Keith » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:14 pm

When Caesar IV was first released on disc, the box also included a third disc, a DVD of a the History Channel's program "Rome: Engineering an empire." I don't know if later retail boxed versions included that or not.

When CotN was first released there was a bonus disc available under special circumstances that I no longer remember. It included things like a walkthrough, game related wallpapers, commentary from the TM staff, game music tracks, images and out takes from CotN, a CotN trailer video and you could win a contest to the Luxor Hotel in Las Vegas.

I usually prefer to have a game on disc, too.

RJG

Postby RJG » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:22 pm

Thanks Tinkerbell and Keith for your speedy replies. I agree a disk is the best way to go. I just purchased the retail version of the game and it has already been shipped. The seller “claims” that it is new and the box is still sealed. We will see if that is an accurate description, once I receive it.

I tried the demo version of the game a few days ago and I really enjoyed it.

Thanks again.

Keith

Postby Keith » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:39 am

Well, I hope you get a legitimate copy. I avoid places like eBay, because many games have been illegally copied and sold through that service. I just don't have that kind of trust. I would only buy a game from a well-known online retailer like Amazon, etc.

You'll need the update patch too once it arrives. You can get it from Caesar IV Heaven or I have a copy of it that I grabbed off the Sierra FTP server before they shut it all down last year.

I was a volunteer moderator on their boards for 10 years for all the citybuilder games and grabbed all the files they had for those games when I heard that Sierra was merging with Activision and closing up their websites.

http://caesar4.heavengames.com/downloads/lister.php?category=patches

The most recent version of Caesar IV is 1.2.

RJG

Postby RJG » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:44 am

"Keith" wrote:Well, I hope you get a legitimate copy. I avoid places like eBay, because many games have been illegally copied and sold through that service. I just don't have that kind of trust. I would only buy a game from a well-known online retailer like Amazon, etc.

You'll need the update patch too once it arrives. You can get it from Caesar IV Heaven or I have a copy of it that I grabbed off the Sierra FTP server before they shut it all down last year.

I was a volunteer moderator on their boards for 10 years for all the citybuilder games and grabbed all the files they had for those games when I heard that Sierra was merging with Activision and closing up their websites.

http://caesar4.heavengames.com/downloads/lister.php?category=patches

The most recent version of Caesar IV is 1.2.

I am not a big fan of eBay either but this particular seller is one of eBay’s Top Rated sellers. They are actually an online-gaming store selling on eBay. To date they have completed 16, 771 transactions on eBay and have received, from every buyer, a perfect 100% positive feedback rating. They also offer a 30 day return policy and have a customer/tech support line that you can call 24/7 that uses no outsourcing and no automated recordings of any kind. I know the support line works because I purchased Children of the Nile from them earlier this year and needed some help with an issue I was having. I called; they answered, and took care of the problem in a few minutes.

Thanks for the link Keith. I will download that patch/update ASAP.

Simtopia23

Postby Simtopia23 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:52 pm

i've bought today the game in low-cost edition(best sellers game) for 9,90 and looks modern game and fun.

Zamolxes

Postby Zamolxes » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:41 am

I would recommend getting the hard copy instead of the download one. Much better, you dont risk loosing it and can be aquired quite cheap from retailers. Try amazon.

Keith

Postby Keith » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:54 am

I too prefer a hard copy, but if you get your digitally download games from a place like STEAM, which as been around for 7-8 years already, it should be safe. I was not an original fan of STEAM, but it does have it's advantages (no disc required for startup, but you do need a internet connection.) They had many bugs back when STEAM was new, but it all seems to be ironed out and running smoothly now.

As for places like Direct2Drive and other digital providers, they don't seem to be very helpful in the event you have a problem. They typically slough off the job onto us here on the TM boards. Tilted Mill is the developer only, and all tech support here is fan-based. There is no Tilted Mill tech support person or persons here.

According to Sierra, which at the time only provided tech support for games they sold on disc, all tech support for the digital versions of the game such as patches and problems installing patches and updates is supposed to come from the provider from which you purchase your digital download.

Sierra is gone...closed up and merged into Activision Blizzard. I don't believe they support Caesar IV with tech support at all now.

So if you decide to go digitial for your games, check out their tech support before you buy. See what others that buy from them say. That would be my advice.

Return to “General Discussion”