Sheep Pasture

Everything Caesar IV that doesn't fit elsewhere
sujhas

Sheep Pasture

Postby sujhas » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:24 pm

Hey guys,
i have this really annoying problem with sheep pastures and to that extent even other farms.
the problem is, say i have two sheep pastures and one sheep farm(farm1) which are close to each other. then, i build another sheep farm(farm2) and two sheep pastures at the other end of the city. when i do this, theu guy from farm 1 comes all the way to take care of pastures of farm 2 and the vice-versa happens.
Could you please tell me how do i solve this?
Thanks!

Keith

Postby Keith » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:44 pm

Don't do that. :)

Why would you build your next sheep pastures on the opposite side of the city?

I keep all my farms and fields/pastures in the same area, unless I use up all the fertile land area and have to place some fields in fertile areas elsewhere on the map that might be farther out.

Use the fertile area closest to your city, market and granary so the trip is short from the farm. Once you have that fertile area filled up you can place some fields and/or pastures in another area that might be farther out to supplement the items coming from the main area.

I keep all my farms grouped together and let my people walk to their desired field/pasture destination. I want that trip from the farm to the market/granary or clothing factory to be as short as possible.

Maximize the fertile area closest in, and only place fields/pastures in outlying fertile areas if you still need more.

sujhas

Postby sujhas » Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:02 am

Thanks man! :)
I am at the final tier of Empire part. and the pissing of part is that the fertile lands are small and distributed in 3 parts across the map. I do not have a choice but to use these lands. Especially with the requirements of "100" ratings for every section!
i am really out of thoughts to find a solution :/

Keith

Postby Keith » Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:42 am

It sounds like you are in Nicomedia.

I found it best to build my housing farthest to the from and directly opposite of the river. Place the insulae on the lower two steps of the plateau there and use the ground level for your domus and patrician housing. That way you water the whole town with aqueducts skimming the face of the lower step on ground level and careful placement of reservoirs so they overlap as move away from the shoreline. Fountains will be enough to give water to the insulae on the plateau steps.

You can squeeze in a good number of fields and pastures in the fertile area nearest the water with careful placement. When you run out of room there, use the fertile area further away from the main body water on the same side of the map, using the fertile land near the river and trees last of all if needed.

The link below is to screenshots taken of my last completion of Nicomedia using the layout I described.

To see all 32, click on the link, then on the viewer page click on the words "View Folder" under PUBLIC in the right column. Clicking on the thumbnail images on the next page it presents will produce a larger image.

With the larger image displayed you can click on it to make it larger still.

http://sdrv.ms/ZPecME

sujhas

Postby sujhas » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:11 am

thats some serious city you have built! awesomee :D

i see you have used the pasture land which is along the same direction as the main pasture you used. i mean, the one which is away from the river stream and also away from the main sea. you have placed cattle farms here. the problem i mentioned with sheep pastures, the same thing happened with cattles too. so i was wondering now that you have placed your cattle pastures here, didnt it create the same problem? i mean the one from your main field going to this new field?

Keith

Postby Keith » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:00 pm

By the time I build up the farm area away from the water, I had plenty of farms and laborers roaming about so the walk to a distant pasture of farm field really didn't cause any problem.

The trick is to build up the farm area closest to your city first. Maximize all the fertile land by carefully squeezing in as many fields and pastures as you can.

Then later if you need more food or wool or beef build a second farming area in the next closest fertile area.

If you start off by building in the farthest fertile are it will take forever for your people to deliver their goods to the granary or factory. This will slow down your city's development severely.

In my city I started with the area closest to the water. Then later I added the area you see farther away from the water, but that was only done when my city was pretty nearly done and I needed more food for a slightly larger population to meet the population goal and keep my plebians, equites, and patricians happy with more than one type of food.

I didn't add my patrician palaces to the city until the very end, when I had reached nearly the full population limit and needed to meet the prosperity goal. So I had to sacrifice some fertile land in the area near the water to squeeze in a forum for the patrician house to develop to the their next level.

You can see how I placed all the plebian insulae housing on the two lower steps of the plateau and the equites and patricians on the ground level and threaded the aqueduct and reservoirs right along the edge of the lower step so the water coverage would include the insulae on the the plateau steps as well as the equites domus.

I found that building the housing in this area of the map is among the best. I've tried other designs where I built in the areas closer to the river, but it was difficult squeezing in everything in the small areas that the size and shape of the plateau steps gave me there. I did finish those cities, but it took a lot more time to do so.

Placing those warehouses along that long stretch of road between the industrial area near the river and the housing area, allows my markets to draw items from those warehouses realatively quickly, and it keeps my cart pushers from having to walk too far to deliver their loads. It kind of splits the difference.

I have just uploaded all 5 saves I made while building that city. 1-4 are the construction phases and the last one, 5, is the Victory save. You can download them and put them in your Caesar IV > DATA > Saved Games folder and load them up and look over my city.

However, if you don't have Caesar IV updated to version 1.2 the files won't load.

If you do download them check out the overlay maps to see the coverages of entertainment, education, health, religion, and law, etc.

Nicomedia saves
1 http://sdrv.ms/15RvNI7
2 http://sdrv.ms/15RvSLZ
3 http://sdrv.ms/15RvUDI
4 http://sdrv.ms/15RvWLJ
Victory http://sdrv.ms/15Rw124

Click on the link, put a check mark in the box on the file in the new window that opens, then click DOWNLOAD on the top menu bar.

You may have to click twice on the file to remove and then replace the checkmark that may be there already before the DOWNLOAD link will appear.

sujhas

Postby sujhas » Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:33 pm

thanks a ton!
i will have to restart the map as there is no way i can incorporate new things in the current map of mine. Economy is not at all a problem, but to have more population i have to feed them which isnt possible.
i will start from the ocean end to build the city and try it.
i will resist myself to look at your saves so that i can try to finish it on my own ;-) :P
thanks again man!

Keith

Postby Keith » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:15 pm

Good luck.

You may want to download those saves now. I don't have a lot of space left in my SkyDrive space and may have to delete those files if I need to use the space for something else later on.

Return to “General Discussion”