Please don't be cruel

Everything Caesar IV that doesn't fit elsewhere
Lumpylo

Please don't be cruel

Postby Lumpylo » Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:57 pm

OK, I had to update my video card just so I could play Children of the Nile on my brand new computer (bought in December). It would be pretty rough if I have to go to the point of buying a whole new computer to be able to play this one when it comes out. I've been waiting for a new Caesar game for years and I hope I didn't get a new computer too early.

Oh please let this game be compatible with my system! I can't buy new computers twice in two years. :(

imhotep3147

Postby imhotep3147 » Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:16 pm

whats the specs on your computer.....you might not have to upgrade....or at the very least it may not be that expensive. :D

vovan

Postby vovan » Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:25 pm

If it was a good computer when you bought it, then I am guessing you will probably be able to run the game. :) If not, in the worst case you'd have to upgrade the video card, but probably won't need a whole new pc. :)

Keith

Postby Keith » Fri Aug 19, 2005 12:04 am

Consider that this game is scheduled for the fall of 2006 release. If you computer had problems running CotN it may have even more running Caesar IV so those with marginal machines should probably start planning ahead. It's only natural that as each new generation of games comes out the requirements only get steeper. You can count on the fact that Caesar IV will have refinements and additional requirements.

[url=mailto :d heitm8612@aol.com]Keith Heitmann[/url]
Listen to the music of the CityBuilders while online:
Caesar III Music Player•Pharaoh Music Jukebox•Zeus Music Jukebox•Emperor's Music Box•Official Pharaoh/Cleopatra Walkthroughs•Official Zeus/Poseidon Walkthroughs•Children of the Nile Musicbox•Children of the Nile & Quiz•Visit PlanetNile

angelisis

Postby angelisis » Fri Aug 19, 2005 6:09 am

well i look at it this way.....do an update every two years anyway.....i am about to get more memory, new hardrive and get xp so i figure i will be set, maybe something little when it comes out but that should not set me back to much. looking at the screenshots and such it looks similar in style to CotN and you haev to remember that they made it using machines that run CotN so should be ok.....don't ya think?

hate to think i gotta update my system for every tiltmill game :eek:

dreamsoftwilight

Postby dreamsoftwilight » Fri Aug 19, 2005 6:16 am

Youll need:

1gig of ram
500 megs of hard drive space
300 meg video card that supports pixelshader 6.0
2 gig paging file

</sarcasm>

Yeah I hope I dont have any problems with mine... the only thing I had to do was buy a new graphics card (needed a new one anyway last time).

angelisis

Postby angelisis » Fri Aug 19, 2005 6:22 am

did anyone read this........

Linden Game Engine
Tilted Mill has developed its own proprietary game engine to provide the perfect visual experience for the next generation of city-building and RTS games. The "Linden" engine has been built from the ground up utilizing the latest in shader technology, and can provide detailed views from as far as falcon’s eye to as close as the cracks in the cobblestones of a city street. But Linden is not just for the power user -- it efficiently tailors features to maximize a user’s performance and provide as rich a visual experience as possible whether on an old “clunker” or the most cutting edge machine available. The Linden engine will first be used for Tilted Mill's upcoming title, Caesar IV.

with emphasise on whether on an old “clunker” or the most cutting edge machine available.
i will hold you to that TM! :D

Keith

Postby Keith » Fri Aug 19, 2005 6:57 am

Cool. :cool: Good info.

mouse

Postby mouse » Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:27 am

Oh boy a new game engine this could get very interesting indeed :D

maucat

Postby maucat » Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:48 am

Can't upgrade mine unfortunately as it's a Sony Vaio with integrated video card. Asked the people at PC World and they said it's not possible to add new video card or more memory. "It's not worth the effort" were the words they used :( Talk about built in obsolescence! I only bought the damn thing last year. It's beautiful to look at but no good if it don't do the job :(

mouse

Postby mouse » Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:33 am

Is it a laptop? If it's not then I wouldn't take PC World's word on that. It's up to you with a desktop if you think it's worth the time,money and effort.

maucat

Postby maucat » Fri Aug 19, 2005 11:47 am

No, it's not a laptop, just looks a bit like a large one. See piccy. It sort of all folds up. A current review is quite critical and says you can't replace graphics card and only upgrade option is to add more memory using the one free slot. My non computer-literate husband bought it for me as a surprise pressy (bless him) and I know it was a heck of a lot of dosh.
Just wish he'd asked me first :( Never mind, I've time, a Christmas, possibly 2 birthdays and a Visa card before Caesar IV comes out :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PCDania

Postby PCDania » Fri Aug 19, 2005 12:41 pm

I feel for you maucat, especially as I'm a hardware nerd. Personally I find there should be a law against the way the Sony Vaio is marketed. Its only real value is for homework for students but it's a no-go what many modern games go because of the hardware used in it. Easy to set up when needed and easy to get out of the way after work is done.

Dog of the Sun

Postby Dog of the Sun » Fri Aug 19, 2005 12:55 pm

I feel halfheartledly towards you too, but i do think that higher graphics than CotN would guarentee me a spot on the game, Cotn was how do I say it, Boxyish, you know temples ,square, Palace , square, Priest boxish, Servant shack, boxish- If all of the Buildings weren't perectly square, higer resoloution or sumtin, so I m half n half. :D

dreamsoftwilight

Postby dreamsoftwilight » Fri Aug 19, 2005 2:32 pm

Dog of the Sun wrote:I feel halfheartledly towards you too, but i do think that higher graphics than CotN would guarentee me a spot on the game, Cotn was how do I say it, Boxyish, you know temples ,square, Palace , square, Priest boxish, Servant shack, boxish- If all of the Buildings weren't perectly square, higer resoloution or sumtin, so I m half n half. :D

erm... yeah, thats because theyre buildings not trees. Round buildings werent very common I dont think or existed at all untill the middle ages. But, I could be wrong...

I have one rule when when Im asked about what computers and what company you should buy pre-fabbed ones from: NEVER buy those those pre-built ones. Go to a smaller computer store (non-corporate) and get one custom built. It will cost you less, or about the same as it would to buy one from a corporation. This way youre ensured to not end up with integrated BS, and youre also supporting small businesses. If you cant put it together yourself, they will put it together for you, sometimes for free, especially if you just plopped down 500$ or more in their store. :)

I agree, there should be a law against marketing stuff like that, and there should be a law against integration to a point where you cant upgrade it at all.

existenz

Postby existenz » Fri Aug 19, 2005 2:51 pm

I agree. I would never buy a prefab PC. I started off 5 years ago with a 386, and taught myself over the years to upgrade. I now have a 3.2Gig, 1gig memory, 6600GT Video card etc. and I had the satisfaction of doing it all myself. Was lots of fun the first time I put in a motherboard - parts everywhere!!! :D

mouse

Postby mouse » Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:19 pm

Oh dear I'm with PCDania just like him I'm a hardware nut :D Did run through a few off the shelf computers before I took the leap to custom built. Now I build my own which is why my now almost 1 year old computer will be able to handle C4 when it comes out ;) If you can't/don't want to build your own then I agree get a computer shop to build one for you provided you can select the parts you want to have installed :p

Jeff Fiske

New Egg rocks!

Postby Jeff Fiske » Fri Aug 19, 2005 10:27 pm

Yea, it is hard these days with PC's.

Trying to explain to people what is a minimum system is nasty. If I ask my sister what kind of machine she has, she would probably say- a comp USA.

So how am I supposed to ask her what Direct X package it supports?

Building your own is fun- but there is a long learning curve involved and your first build can take 8 hours if you are lucky.

Start with Barbone kits- and it might only be 3 hours.

Then again, just get a Dell!! Of course you have to then decide betwen the 6800GT with pixel shader 3.0 or the X800 XT.

Meanwhile- we will do what we can- and Chris said that thing about clunkers, not me. It is not going to run on your toaster oven.

Acamas

Postby Acamas » Fri Aug 19, 2005 10:34 pm

I do hope it will be top of the line graphics and speed because my computer was made to be upgraded as great as possible. Its been 8 years can you believe it!

Jimaaten

Postby Jimaaten » Sat Aug 20, 2005 12:24 am

Jeff Fiske wrote:Meanwhile- we will do what we can- and Chris said that thing about clunkers, not me. It is not going to run on your toaster oven.
Dang! I was so hoping to be able to make a french bread pizza and play C-IV at the same time. ;) Stupid, non-multi-tasking toaster oven. :mad:

Return to “General Discussion”