Caesar III

Everything Caesar IV that doesn't fit elsewhere
ShawnDeath

Postby ShawnDeath » Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:38 pm

i miss the movies haha so i decided to dump this comp for the new games

i was just thinking of like a gaming comp + my fav old game wud be something i'd really enjoy

haha back to my win95

so no solutions to this?

Keith

Postby Keith » Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:47 pm

ShawnDeath wrote:Well i have 3 comps at home
1 for old games win 95
1 for new games win xp
1 for college assignments win 98 off pro

so heres the deal

i used win 95 for old games like caesar 2,3 , pharaoh bla bla bla it worked fine
i installed in 98 it worked fine too
i installed in xp it worked ok but during those festival movies , debt movies , there werent any movie being played but a small black box. there's also no pics for milestone populations and bllablablabla.

so wats the prob here anyone can help me out?

thanx ^^

You may want to run Caesar III in the compatability mode on your XP system. That might cure your problem.

Right click on the Caesar3 .exe file and select properties. Under the compatability tab select the Windows 2000 or Windows 95/98 mode (try both). Click apply and OK. Try the game. Try the other mode if it didn't help.

It may also be due to your video drivers. If your drivers are old they may have problem running the old Smacker SMK video files. There have also been cases where the latest drivers are worse than the previous video drivers.

In a couple of cases just recently reverting back to old drivers fixed the graphic problems some people were having with CotN and their ATI cards.

When changing video drivers, be sure you uninstall the current drivers before you install the next set.

ShawnDeath

Postby ShawnDeath » Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:37 pm

tried compatibility it just aint there
tried driver exchange still the same
and i've decided to use my old comp ^^.
thanx for the help.
but to be honest i'm kinda lazy at times so hehe
thanx again

Keith

Postby Keith » Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:46 am

ShawnDeath wrote:tried compatibility it just aint there
tried driver exchange still the same
and i've decided to use my old comp ^^.
thanx for the help.
but to be honest i'm kinda lazy at times so hehe
thanx again

There were problems like this when Lords of the Realm III was first released. People would get a black screen where the video was to run. As it turned out in some of these cases, it was fixed by updating their audio driver file.

Other than that, all I can think of is that it just might be a bad install. You whould uninstall the game completely. Then reboot your system to XP's "Safe Mode" then install the game. Reboot back to normal startup after the install is done and try the game.

Other problems could be background applications interfering with the game, such as virus scanners, screen savers, etc.

ShawnDeath

Postby ShawnDeath » Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:02 am

thnx for the help keith owe ya one ^^
if u ever come to malaysia tell me
i'd buy a couple of beers for u

Lazaro

Postby Lazaro » Mon Apr 17, 2006 4:48 am

Hi, just registered here, as I've returned to trying to create the perfect city in Caesar III, as a sort of vendetta against it, as I remember playing the game when I was a kid and failing terribly (even with cheats).

So I downloaded the map editor from the Sierra website, but I can't install it. The install starts up well, but when I click "next" in the first screen, the program locks up and I have to shut it down.

What's the problem? I have Win XP, and Caesar III works just perfectly, with movies and all. I remember the editor worked just fine in my Win 98 machine years ago. So is this a compatibility problem? Because I downloaded the file from many different websites (Gamespot, fan websites) and I get the same result each time, a "error with InstallShield Wizard".

Also, the file is shown with a red & blue box icon, and it's described as "PackageForTheWeb Stub" in it's properties. Is this right? I REALLY want to use the editor.

Keith

Postby Keith » Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:22 am

Lazaro wrote:Hi, just registered here, as I've returned to trying to create the perfect city in Caesar III, as a sort of vendetta against it, as I remember playing the game when I was a kid and failing terribly (even with cheats).

So I downloaded the map editor from the Sierra website, but I can't install it. The install starts up well, but when I click "next" in the first screen, the program locks up and I have to shut it down.

What's the problem? I have Win XP, and Caesar III works just perfectly, with movies and all. I remember the editor worked just fine in my Win 98 machine years ago. So is this a compatibility problem? Because I downloaded the file from many different websites (Gamespot, fan websites) and I get the same result each time, a "error with InstallShield Wizard".

Also, the file is shown with a red & blue box icon, and it's described as "PackageForTheWeb Stub" in it's properties. Is this right? I REALLY want to use the editor.

Make sure you are placing the editor inside the \Sierra\Caesar3 folder where the game resides.

You may have downloaded a corrupted file or it became corrupted during the download. You can get the editor from the VUG/Sierra site at:

http://www.vugames.com/file_list.do?gamePlatformId=289

It's the file labeled "Assignment Editor."

The editor is a stand alone program that does not run from inside Caesar III. You have to exit Caesar III and then click on the c3_mapper.exe file in the game folder to run the editor.

Lazaro

Postby Lazaro » Mon Apr 17, 2006 4:44 pm

I tried again, with the link you provided, but the result is the same. I placed the downloaded file in the Caesar III folder and ran it, but the install locked up in the first 'Next' giving me a InstallShield Engine error like before.

Could this be because I have a Spanish version of Caesar III, and the editor is in English? I had the same problem with Half Life and the expansion pack Opposing Force.

Keith

Postby Keith » Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:14 pm

Lazaro wrote:I tried again, with the link you provided, but the result is the same. I placed the downloaded file in the Caesar III folder and ran it, but the install locked up in the first 'Next' giving me a InstallShield Engine error like before.

Could this be because I have a Spanish version of Caesar III, and the editor is in English? I had the same problem with Half Life and the expansion pack Opposing Force.

First, I believe you must have Caesar III v. 1.1 installed. If you have 1.0 you need the patch from the same page you got the editor from via the link above.

You can tell what version you have by starting the game and then from any scenario open the HELP menu and click on ABOUT. The version number should be displayed there.

Next. The file you dowload from VUG/Sierra is a self-extracting EXE file that should look something like image 1 below once it's on your hard drive.

Next. When you doulble left click on that file it will take a while for the self-extractor to extract all the files for the install. On a slower machine it might appear as if the system has locked up. Also, after the files are extracted the progress bar popup disappears and there is a short pause before the actual install screen comes up. See image 2 below.

On my 3Ghz P4, it took nearly 1 minute before all the files were and the InstallShield program was ready to install the file. See image 3 below.

The installer will prompt you to click NEXT. Then it will present you with a change to either accept the default install path of C:\Sierra\Caesar3 or use the Browse button to set the path to a custom location you may have installed Caesar 3 into if it is not C:\Sierra\Caesar3. See image 4.

Clicking NEXT at this point actually installs the files to the selected path. Then it presents you with a chance to view the new README.TXT file it installs.

Clicking NEXT one more time brings you to the FINISH button. Clicking the finish button closes the the installer. See image 5.

Now if you don't get any of these screens then there has to be something interfering with the install process. You should disable your virus scanner when installing.

If that fails to work, then do the following.

Reboot to the Windos XP SAFE MODE. Once at the desktop in the SAFE MODE install the map editor. Then reboot your system back to the normal startup.

NOTE: If you got a copy of Caesar III with a Packard Bell computer you may be out of luck. They altered the game files so they would only run on a PB computer. People with those versions cannot patch or otherwise update their game.

Also, there have been instances in the past where people have been selling copies of PB versions of the game. I've seen reports from people where thy have gotten them from an otherwise legitimate software store. Unfortunately there is no way to tell the difference between the PB version CDs and the normal ones, making it easy for unscrupulous people to pull a switch and return the game with the PB CD inside.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Lazaro

Postby Lazaro » Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:25 pm

! UNBELIVABLE ! The setup worked when I clicked "Next".

I had to run Windows on a very selective Safe Mode, but it's now installed and works perfectly!

Thank you very much for your detailed walktrough, Keith.

Keith

Postby Keith » Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:32 pm

Good. I am glad to hear it. :D Image

prof786

Postby prof786 » Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:26 am

Keith wrote:Good. I am glad to hear it. :D Image

are we authorized to make mods for caesar 3?

Keith

Postby Keith » Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:27 am

prof786 wrote:are we authorized to make mods for caesar 3?

You can probably make mods, if you figure out how, but you wouldn't be allowed to do it for profit that would be my guess. You'd have to check with them on that, but I'm pretty sure that gist of it.

It probably also depends on the nature of those "mods". Altering the exe file probably is out altogether and any alterations might cause the legitimate patch file to not install.

prof786

Postby prof786 » Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:43 am

many developers release SDK's along with their games so that users can create their own mods. or is that how it was suppose to work?

Crassus

C Vi Online

Postby Crassus » Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:18 pm

You guys know if C4 will be played online?? The online version of Emperor sucks!

Mr_Cheese

Postby Mr_Cheese » Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:10 pm

Heh, I've just been watching Ben-Hur and the music is pretty much the same as C-III's.... :)

Keith

Postby Keith » Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:13 pm

Crassus wrote:You guys know if C4 will be played online?? The online version of Emperor sucks!

They haven't officially said, but my guess would be no.

Keith

Postby Keith » Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:28 pm

Mr_Cheese wrote:Heh, I've just been watching Ben-Hur and the music is pretty much the same as C-III's.... :)

I wouldn't say that. Many Roman themed games tend to use brass and drums to represent the Romans just like they do in the movies.

The music in the demo of Rise & Fall Civilizations at War is similar to Hans Zimmer's "King Arthur".
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

prof786

Postby prof786 » Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:33 pm

that may be true, but i would like to say that caesar III music was more contemporary in percussions as it used various traditional instruments to get the point across. i'm expecting even better from caesar IV music.
Last edited by prof786 on Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr_Cheese

Postby Mr_Cheese » Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:38 pm

Keith wrote:I wouldn't say that. Many Roman themed games tend to use brass and drums to represent the Romans just like they do in the movies.

Ok, I'll rephrase it to "some of the Caesar III music seems to have taken its inspiration from the music of Ben-Hur" (see attachment). :)

If the C-IV music is like the sample track from the website then it'll be great. Also I think they did a great job for II and III so anything along those lines I think will fit perfectly. :)

Return to “General Discussion”