Caesar III

Everything Caesar IV that doesn't fit elsewhere
sitearm

Caesar III

Postby sitearm » Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:25 am

If you're playing Caesar III while waiting for Caesar IV, here's a thread to post questions, comments, suggestions, tips, woes, links, cool things and other useful stuff. The game is still available, inexpensively online.

Caesar III Game Play Resources

Forums
Strategy guides
Threads
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by sitearm on Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: add resource links

Acamas

Postby Acamas » Fri Aug 26, 2005 4:17 am

Do you think Caesar III could be capable of being available for your PDA or Palm handheld? Age of Empires has been converted to be played on the PDA, is Caesar III next? I would love to have Caesar III on my handheld, especially all the hours it could kill with such a small device.

Keith

Postby Keith » Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:03 am

Acamas wrote:Do you think Caesar III could be capable of being available for your PDA or Palm handheld? Age of Empires has been converted to be played on the PDA, is Caesar III next? I would love to have Caesar III on my handheld, especially all the hours it could kill with such a small device.

I think I'd go blind trying to play Caesar III or most of the citybuilders on a PDA!

I highly doubt it will occur, unless VUGames/Sierra strikes up a 3rd party deal for someone else to convert for PDAs, but then the sky might fall too. It's not the sort of thing that VUGames/Sierra is probably going to invest in considering the age of Caesar III.

Fresh

Postby Fresh » Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:26 am

There might be a big market for the Nintendo DS though! But please add roadblocks ;)

Keith

Postby Keith » Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:32 am

Fresh wrote:There might be a big market for the Nintendo DS though! But please add roadblocks ;)

You must not have played CotN or you would have known that roadblocks are not required. There are no "walkers" in the old Caesar III tradition in the new games. The people move about the city freely shopping, going to work, to doctors, temples, etc.

tobing

Postby tobing » Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:29 am

I think he's talking about Caesar III on Nintendo DS or PDA or such. Not C4.

Generally, it might be a good idea, but how would you do all this city building with only such a small display?

Cironir

Postby Cironir » Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:19 am

tobing wrote:Generally, it might be a good idea, but how would you do all this city building with only such a small display?

There's a SimCity 2000 version for the Gameboy Advance. I haven't played it (just use my GBA SP for strategy, pinball and chess), but here is a review that includes some screenshots. It is small, but do-able. :) The DS and PSP handhelds have larger displays than the GBA.

gloryninja

Postby gloryninja » Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:46 am

I had Caesar 3 for long time now 5 years i think. lol but i wonder if CaesarIV will work on my crappy computer

Keith

Postby Keith » Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:14 pm

gloryninja wrote:I had Caesar 3 for long time now 5 years i think. lol but i wonder if CaesarIV will work on my crappy computer

I guess it depends on just how crappy your computer is. ;)

From what I've seen mentioned so far, Caesar IV is being aimed at CPU of at least 1-2 Ghz in speed, and video cards in the ATI Radeon 9xxx series (or newer), or the Nvidia 6xxx series.

That is about all the tech info I've seen on projected system specs so far.

And of course a decent up=-to-date sound card with recent drivers will probably also be recommended.

Czech Centurian

Postby Czech Centurian » Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:56 pm

Hey, I'm back. I have an old computer where Caesar III used to work on but doesn't anymore. I only have 295 Mb space left. But I will definately get a new comp for C IV. :D

Keith

Postby Keith » Sat Aug 27, 2005 1:17 am

Czech Centurian wrote:Hey, I'm back. I have an old computer where Caesar III used to work on but doesn't anymore. I only have 295 Mb space left. But I will definately get a new comp for C IV. :D

My advice is to get the best most powerful system you can afford. It will last you longer in terms of being able to play games over the years. Low end systems become obsolete so quicklly because of the hardware inside that you spend more money in the long run trying to keep your system updated.

Something like the Dell Dimension XPS system would do you nicely for many years to come. I bought mine 2 years ago as a first generation XPS system and it can run anything out there on the market. The current XPS machines are now in their 5th generation and cost less than I paid for mine two years ago!

PCDania

Postby PCDania » Sat Aug 27, 2005 3:19 pm

That Dell is great looking but seems too expencieve to me and it's difficult if not saying impossible to actually find out what the default configuration is.

One example: when looking at the Hardware tab it says 1GB of RAM, but the Tech Specs says: Standard: 512 MB Dual channel DDR2-533MHz SDRAM standard. Which one is correct?
Another example: How big a harddisk does it have? 'Storage' says: Up to 500 GB single drive, or up to 1.5 TB (3 drives x 400 GB) internal RAID storage. When has 3x 400 become 1.5 TB? It's only 1.2 TB.
Third example: What CPU does it actually have? Overview says 8xx sequence Dual Core Processors, the Tech Specs names 3 different CPUs.

Where and what is the data for the standard configuration?

When clicking the Costomize button there are some settings recommended by Dell, is that the stardard configuration or how?

reachrishikh

Postby reachrishikh » Sat Aug 27, 2005 8:24 pm

Keith wrote:My advice is to get the best most powerful system you can afford.

Yes Keith, I am planning to buy a pretty high end configuration myself. ( Though that may be the reason my dad hasn't given the go-ahead yet, due to the heavy cost ;) ). That's why I said, TM, don't mind the hardware config requirements, just give us the best you can !

Czech Centurian

Postby Czech Centurian » Sat Aug 27, 2005 8:39 pm

I'm planning on getting the best there is out there, so that it can last a little while. (I'll let you in on a secret, I have a Pentium One. When I got it, it was the best and now it's becoming obsolete, it has served pretty well.)

Keith

Postby Keith » Sat Aug 27, 2005 8:40 pm

The system as pictured is the current default configuration, the recommended hardware and software shown is the default setup.

From there you can modify the configuration with multiple choices of CPUs, HDs, DVD drives, etc.

When I bought mine I specifically picked the Radeon 9800 Pro and Windows XP Pro over the then defaults.

They will often have rebates, and other offers. It changes and depends on when you place your order. The phone sales people may make offers that you won't see in the catalog. Just ask them if they have any special deals. I ordered my system over the phone.

Acamas

Postby Acamas » Sun Aug 28, 2005 1:18 am

I suggest you go to your local computer shop and have them make you a custumized computer. I only spent $700 on mine and it is equivilent to a $2000 dell computer but much cheaper! This was 3 years ago though. The only difference was it had an AMD Athlon instead of a Pentium which was popular for most Dell computers.

Keith

Postby Keith » Sun Aug 28, 2005 9:33 am

Yeah, I had a no-name computer once. It came complete with a "tail light warranty."

(As soon as they see your tail lights, that's the end of your warranty!)

sitearm

On a tight budget a generic pc can work for a careful shopper

Postby sitearm » Sun Aug 28, 2005 1:18 pm

On a tight budget a generic pc can work for a careful shopper. My old company bought several hundred of them in the early days of pc's to test they were worthwhile.

For it to work you need a local shop willing to put it together for you and be around for service. Count on about 2 years use I'd guess, 4 if fortunate.

Even if buy Dell, after service warranty you'll want a local shop and those are very... dynamic. Just found a new one locally after the two I'd used went out of business.

angelisis

Postby angelisis » Sun Aug 28, 2005 1:23 pm

sitearm9 wrote:On a tight budget a generic pc can work for a careful shopper.

you can say that again and i can vouch for it.......mine is a no name.....and every name inside....LOL....i still do not know how my pc fix it dude managed to get it soooo good for 500 bucks........my monitor is worth more.....lol

sitearm

Caesar III game play resources and screen shots

Postby sitearm » Sun Aug 28, 2005 1:34 pm

Caesar III Game Play Resources are added at the first post of this thread. Our friends Keith and EmperorJay moderate forums for Caesar III at Sierra and HeavenGames respectively.

Added also are screenshots, including a large city built in C3 with a hippodrome and an extensive aqueduct network, and a simpler layout showing a reservoir, granary, housing and other buildings.

These shots demonstrate the "look" of C3, and why historical city building became such a popular genre. You might want to pick up a copy and try it for fun or challenge.

It's "only" 1 year until C-IV is released, but in "Internet Time" that will feel like 7.

Return to “General Discussion”