Caesar III

Everything Caesar IV that doesn't fit elsewhere
The Sage Nabooru

Postby The Sage Nabooru » Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:45 pm

My question concerns Caesar II. Yep, way back! Is there any way to mod this game? I've never been able to win it, and I'd like to see what modding can do, but I don't know if it's even possible.

Keith

Postby Keith » Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:19 pm

I'm not aware of any way to mod the game. It doesn't even have any built-in debug (cheat) codes. For money there was a external third party program called Caesar Bucks that would let you add money to your treasury if fixed amounts which you can download from my personal website. I didn't write the program so I can't answer any tech questions about it.

The Sage Nabooru

Postby The Sage Nabooru » Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:24 pm

Thanks. It's not running correctly, though, it's missing something with a DLL tag, perhaps if I downloaded it directly from your site? It's missing "VBRUN300.DLL". Do you know who programmed it?

Keith

Postby Keith » Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:27 pm

Not sure what it might need. C2 was back in the day when Win31 and DOS were running computers. Many of those files aren't available in later versions of Windows. You may be able to run C2 in DOSBOX, since it could run in either DOS or Windows 3.1.

The Sage Nabooru

Postby The Sage Nabooru » Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:30 pm

My game runs alright in DOS mode, I just can't install that Caesar Bucks. Is it possible that the missing file was part of the C2 installation? If so I'll just re-install it.

It says the .exe file (or one of its components) is missing, so I'm thinking I'm missing part of the download maybe.

EDIT: I figured it out. I went to the Wikipedia page on the game and found a link to a fansite that said that Caesar Bucks works with Windows 3.1, and the Denarii Editor with later versions. Thanks!
Last edited by The Sage Nabooru on Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Keith

Postby Keith » Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:17 am

The Sage Nabooru wrote:My game runs alright in DOS mode, I just can't install that Caesar Bucks. Is it possible that the missing file was part of the C2 installation? If so I'll just re-install it.

It says the .exe file (or one of its components) is missing, so I'm thinking I'm missing part of the download maybe.

EDIT: I figured it out. I went to the Wikipedia page on the game and found a link to a fansite that said that Caesar Bucks works with Windows 3.1, and the Denarii Editor with later versions. Thanks!

No, the exe file was all that there is to it. It must be relying on an old Win31 DLL file that is no longer available in later Windows versions.

goonsquad

Postby goonsquad » Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:17 am

CBC will be holding a C3 team contest, only the second ever such event to be held at CBC. The event will begin on 1st March 2008 with the preliminary "audition" mission. This short (4 years) mission will enable CBC to determine teams of approximately equal strength. The audition is expected to run for about 4 weeks, and the team contest itself will start around the second half of April. The audition is more or less a conventional standalone CBC contest, but each player's score in the audition will form part of the team score.

We are looking for players of all levels to compete. We are especially looking for expert players to lead our teams. Already one such expert has indicated he will participate, we are looking for at least 3 more. Not wanting to drop names here but you know who you are.

The experts get to share their skills in C3 with a team comprised of players of skill levels ranging from very good to most likely rank novice. Novice players get the rare opportunity to learn from an expert, and players in between get to improve their game skills and participate in an event you won't soon forget.

Team contests have become the highlight of the CBC calendar, and with good reason. Teams have their own private forum with which they can communicate among themselves. The spirit of teamwork in these events is something to experience. Many lasting friendships have been formed in CBC team contests.

The audition starts next weekend, the 1st March 2008. We hope to see you there.

http://www.citybuildingcontests.net/index.html

MavsOnly

Postby MavsOnly » Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:20 pm

yeah excellent

Amenuk

Postby Amenuk » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:20 pm

"The Sage Nabooru" wrote:Thanks. It's not running correctly, though, it's missing something with a DLL tag, perhaps if I downloaded it directly from your site? It's missing "VBRUN300.DLL". Do you know who programmed it?

Hi,
That dll is available as a free download from Microsoft
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/196285/
________
Mcdonalds gift cards
Last edited by Amenuk on Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

sofis

Caesar III Update 1.0.1.0 gone?

Postby sofis » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:33 am

I just reinstalled Caesar III from my old 1998 disk which, if I remember correctly, requires the 1.0.1.0 patch. However, I am having great difficulty finding a working download for the patch -- almost all of the downloads across the internet try to connect me to some Sierra server which no longer exists due to Activision merging (I believe) with Sierra (or was it Vivendi Games?... can't remember right now :confused :) .

Either way, I can't find a good download. :(

Oh, and the HeavenGames site has a download for the patch, but if I try to run it, I am told that all or part of the file cannot be found. I don't use any kind of download manager, and have tried using IE, Firefox, even Chrome, same results :confused: . Plus, the link in the first post in this thread just takes me to the Activision site (I've checked, they don't have a download there either :mad :)

Any chance someone can help me find a good download for the patch? Thank you in advance, I much appreciate any help :) .

Keith

Postby Keith » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:58 am

The Sierra FTP servers and all the patches were taken down late last month. I managed to grab copies of the patches from those servers about a week before it happened.

You have to make sure you get the language version of the patch that matches the language version of your game. UK and US english are considered different versions.

What country did you buy your game in?

sofis

Postby sofis » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:33 pm

Thank you for your quick reply :) . My disc was bought in the U.S., and it says "ENGLISH" on the front, right above where it says "Windows 95/98". Therefore, I would assume that I need the US-English lanquage patch.

Keith

Postby Keith » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:06 pm

Send me a PM and give me your email address.

In case you don't know how, click on my name to the left and select "Send private message" from the list.

Jim256

Caesar3.com MP3s

Postby Jim256 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:31 pm

I've been trying to track down the 44.1kHz CD quality MP3s of the music in Caesar III that were online on caesar3.com in 1999. Does anybody have a copy?

You can grab about 1mb of each track on web archive and you can hear they're really good quality compared to the 22kHz ones in the game so it'd be really great to have them.

I was informed at Heavengames that this was the place to come and ask!

Keith

Postby Keith » Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:56 pm

I don't remember if I ever downloaded them or not. If I did they are probably buried one of hundreds of old Iomega ZipDisk storage disks from a ZipDisk drive I no longer use.

However, just as an experiment, I took the WAV format game files and ran them through a audio converter here and saved them as 128kpbs, 2ch, 16bit, 44.1khz MP3 format files.

I then went to the archive site, played the partial tracks there and immediately played my covertered file of the same track. I couldn't tell any difference. I have a pretty good audio setup on my PC and I play music and make and manipulate audio and video files all the time.

What are you gonna do with the file if you find them?

Jim256

Postby Jim256 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:03 pm

You can't tell the difference? Hail.mp3 is strikingly improved when the percussion comes in compared to the original - not surprising considering percussion is where most of the frequencies above 11kHz are going to be that were lost in the 22kHz versions (since the sample rate represents double the audible rate, see nyquest's theorem). I too tried resampling the ingame wavs but I haven't been able to reach the clarity presented in the MP3s.

I too have a good audio setup, hence why the difference is a big deal for me!

As for what I'll do with them, just add them to my video game soundtracks collection. I thoroughly enjoy listening to the music in the game and it'd be nice to hear it de-fuzzified.

Return to “General Discussion”