Caesar III

Everything Caesar IV that doesn't fit elsewhere
sitearm

Is there any way to predict the behavior of the walkers at intersections?

Postby sitearm » Mon Aug 29, 2005 2:42 am

I installed C3 and made it through tutorials 1, 2, 3 and picked the city that's a "little dangerous" for 4.

My first question is, is there any way to predict the behavior of the walkers at intersections? Do they turn left or right for example? Or are they completely unpredictable?

MarkDuffy

Postby MarkDuffy » Mon Aug 29, 2005 2:52 am

sitearm9 wrote:My first question is, is there any way to predict the behavior of the walkers at intersections? Do they turn left or right for example? Or are they completely unpredictable?

You are not stuck & you wanna cheat already?

Geez

sitearm

usable answers

Postby sitearm » Mon Aug 29, 2005 3:02 am

I have a request that you honor the purpose of this thread to provide usable answers. Use another thread to kid around. Thanks

MarkDuffy wrote:You are not stuck & you wanna cheat already?Geez

Azeem

Postby Azeem » Mon Aug 29, 2005 3:22 am

sitearm9 wrote:I installed C3 and made it through tutorials 1, 2, 3 and picked the city that's a "little dangerous" for 4.

My first question is, is there any way to predict the behavior of the walkers at intersections? Do they turn left or right for example? Or are they completely unpredictable?

It seems pretty random. What I did was that I don't build any intersections at all. Instead, I just had one very long snaking road with industry and food production at one end, services at the other end, and housing in the center "waves." The trick to Caesar III is to minimize intersections. Adding intersections can potentially have your city collapse in the event a walker decides to "favor" one route more than the other. I'm not a bean counter, so I don't know how long the "snake road" should be. I had to do a lot of experimenting to get one that was sufficiently stable. This is how I built cities in C3 where there is no military involved (military maps give the luxury of the famous "gatehouse"). :)

Of course, there's still the issue with the Granaries. Granaries are treated like roads. Sometimes the Market Lady and labor walkers will just wander around the Granary, which can get very irritating. :confused:
Last edited by Azeem on Mon Aug 29, 2005 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

MarkDuffy

Postby MarkDuffy » Mon Aug 29, 2005 3:48 am

sitearm9 wrote:I have a request that you honor the purpose of this thread to provide usable answers. Use another thread to kid around. Thanks

The purpose of a game is to learn by trial & error & only use the strategy guide after you get tired of failing.

You want the guide first.

That is cheating.

No joke.

Your Homework Assignment for today: Watch your people & return with a show & tell. Due tomorrow.

Hint: The very first mission begins with a popup help along with mission objectives. Your answer is there. First thing.

Additional Hint: At the top of your screen is HELP. Click it. Then ABOUT. It should say version 1.1. If not patch it. :)
Last edited by MarkDuffy on Mon Aug 29, 2005 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Keith

Postby Keith » Mon Aug 29, 2005 4:43 am

There is no real way to predict which way the random walkers will choose at an intersection. As per the tutorial briefing, it is recommended that you limit the number of intersections in your road system to prevent such unpredicable choices.

Also, you can use those to things I mentioned to prevent them from taking roads you don't want them to use: gatehouse or remove one road tile.
Last edited by Keith on Mon Aug 29, 2005 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

MarkDuffy

Postby MarkDuffy » Mon Aug 29, 2005 5:40 am

(I'm impatient. I aborted the last try, after my post in the TM section , after 6 minutes. Let's try direct post.)

Last Hint Sitearm: You began this thread with images that showed lots of intersections. While I did not use that many, I did use a lot. This show both the necessity & ability to master intersections.

(Hit post at 10:40 Pacific)

sitearm

Thank you for suggestions so far...

Postby sitearm » Mon Aug 29, 2005 2:57 pm

o--------------------------o Long snake structure

..........o[color=darkslategray].............................Capillary structure[/color]
..........|
..........|
o------o------o
..........|
o------o------o

Azeem: Long snake structures work but force long distances between end points. I will try capillary structures next. Regarding turn directions at intersections, my son played this game several years ago and we attempted to deduce a "right hand turn" rule or similar with no success. So "random" seems right so far. Thanks!

MarkDuffy: I assume in good faith that you are trying to be helpful. In good faith I provide this feedback on your posts:

0. I asked: is there any way to predict the behavior of the walkers at intersections?

1. You said: That is cheating... No joke...
I found this response offensive. You don't know why I asked, you assumed, and you assumed something negative without checking.

2. You said: It should say version 1.1. If not patch it.
Thank you! I find this response useful and will do that.

3. You said: [The] images... showed... the necessity... to master intersections
I found this response unuseful but you did arrive at the real reason I asked the question.

Keith: I did pick up on your tip in your earlier posts to use gatehouses and will try that. I did use the trick to delete road tiles and suspect I can fit that into the capillary structure approach. Thanks!

arcan

Postby arcan » Mon Aug 29, 2005 3:01 pm

there is a way to predict the behavior of walkers. I used tu build intersections thanks to that so I could plan better where to put the market lady, the librarian and so on for the most effective way.

sitearm

Postby sitearm » Mon Aug 29, 2005 3:02 pm

and the way is...?

arcan wrote:there is a way to predict the behavior of walkers. I used tu build intersections thanks to that so I could plan better where to put the market lady, the librarian and so on for the most effective way.

arcan

Postby arcan » Mon Aug 29, 2005 3:13 pm

look at their behaviour : you'll see that coming out of ther house, they'll always go the same way (left or right) then always the same turn. Some are limited by the radius, and for ex the market lady, you can control the radius by the number of houses.
Some are really easy to determine other less as they have multi-cilcles routines (for exemple, to have the complete habit, you'll have to see them through many tours - the first walk, they will go to the right, then left and so on, then come back in, then out again but left, for a shorter walk). but it depends on the distance you let them travel.

I'm not really clear. So I'll take an exemple. As it's a long time ago, I'll just make up routines, but it's just as an exemple. The firemen : they will go out to the right. first turn left, and so on for 20 tiles. then turn back and come back home the same way. then they come out again, that time right, left turn... for 5 turns.

I've never pushed the observation as far as knowing their complete way. But just the begining will help you choose the side of the road to place them and also the localization (taking into account the first intersection) to let them go to the building.

That routine is a fake, but here it is.

Other walkers are not random at all or if you stretch the distances enough. ex : An artist will take the shortest way.

MarkDuffy

Postby MarkDuffy » Mon Aug 29, 2005 4:53 pm

Sitearm, you left out one possible road structure. Two loops with a common side have two 3-way intersections & no doubling back (like your capillary).

Housing & industry/docks.

Make one 3-way into a 4-way & you have a farm industry along a straight road.

All of this has 2 intersections.

Azeem

Postby Azeem » Mon Aug 29, 2005 5:43 pm

Snaking is usually my way. ;) I ought to try Capillary more though.

MarkDuffy

Postby MarkDuffy » Mon Aug 29, 2005 6:30 pm

sitearm9 wrote:3. You said: [The] images... showed... the necessity... to master intersections
I found this response unuseful but you did arrive at the real reason I asked the question.

You edited my post & changed my thought.

You began this thread with images that showed lots of intersections. While I did not use that many, I did use a lot. This show both the necessity & ability to master intersections.

Translation: You need to use intersections.

Something entirely different from what you posted.

Azeem

Postby Azeem » Mon Aug 29, 2005 6:50 pm

Do Large Temples produce one priest walker or two? It's been a while, so I've forgotten.

MarkDuffy

Postby MarkDuffy » Mon Aug 29, 2005 7:16 pm

Azeem wrote:Do Large Temples produce one priest walker or two? It's been a while, so I've forgotten.

IIRC, still only one.

More desirability outta them & the gods love them more. They are expensive (requiring marble IIRC) & take a lot of room. Kinda like temples vs shrines in COTN.

I only built them for fun.

EDIT: I just checked a game save & HELP menu. Yup on the need for marble with large temples. They satisfy 1500, while the temple satisfies 750 in the overall god satisfaction. I also had a bunch of them! :D Cannot verify the number of walkers produced quickly. LT=5 employees. T=2.

They also help with culture rating.
Last edited by MarkDuffy on Mon Aug 29, 2005 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sitearm

Postby sitearm » Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:04 pm

Disk in question is 1998 original so downloaded patch from Sierra. Thanks!

MarkDuffy wrote:... It should say version 1.1. If not patch it...

sitearm

More road structures

Postby sitearm » Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:30 pm

o-----o-----o Two loops with common side structure
|.......|.......|
|.......|.......|
o-----o-----o

o-----o-----o Two loops with common side structure plus added string
|.......|.......|
|.......|.......|
o-----o-----o
........|
........|
........o

I'm sketching these for now and will try soon in a game.

MarkDuffy wrote:...Two loops with a common side have two 3-way intersections & no doubling back... Make one 3-way into a 4-way... industry along a straight road...

Fabogranqi

Postby Fabogranqi » Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:47 pm

C'est un peu HS, mais est ce que Caesar 3 va être compatible avec Windows Vista ?

sitearm

More Caesar III resource links

Postby sitearm » Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:50 pm

Added Caesar III 1.1 patch link per MarkDuffy and Keith
Added Caesar III strategy site links per Rubicon and Cartpusher

Laurel Leaf Awards and thanks!
Last edited by sitearm on Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: add credits and thanks

Return to “General Discussion”