Caesar III

Everything Caesar IV that doesn't fit elsewhere
Christbowel

Postby Christbowel » Sun Dec 04, 2005 12:41 am

Guys... I just have a question to know what are those 2 strange structures at the left down side of the screen. Thanks ;)

Iskandar

Postby Iskandar » Sun Dec 04, 2005 5:32 am

ah, CIII. still have it around here, somewhere. I got in the beta for that game, and as stupid as the walkers act in that game, they were actually upgraded about 4 times before the game came out.

every walker does indeed have a very logical pattern to his routes. he'll start out of his home (or whatever), heading in a certain direction. when he gets to an intersection, he'll turn a cetain way. then, at the end of his walk, he'll head home by the shortest route available. next time he goes out, he'll head out the other direction, and turn another way at an intersection (believe it goes north, if possible, then, west, south, and east in cycles for each intersection he comes to). each walker has a set distance they'll go before heading home, 24 for market ladies, if I remember rightly, up to 30 I think for the maintenence guys. if you keep that in mind, and that they take the shortest way home (which doesn't have to be the way they got to where they are), you can actually plan your city.

also, remember that a industry looking for labor doesn't have to pass right by a house, but within two tiles of it. which means if you run a road 1 tile away from your housing block, industry will pick up labor from it w/o disrupting the walkers needed for that block.

CIII had two weaknesses, when it came right down to it. the lack of roadblocks was the most heinous problem, which meant you really couldn't control where your walkers went. secondly, market ladies were both stupid and overworked. stupid, as they made poor pathing decisions when going for goods. overworked, because you had either 1 or 2 market ladies trying to both get up to 6 types of goods, AND distrubiting those goods to your housing. combining those together meant it could be (and was a lot of times) frustrating trying to keep a block supplied with goods regularly.

that is not to say CIII didn't do a lot of things right, a lot of the core gameplay carried right over to Pharoh (and later CB's as well, some of it can still be seen in CotN, actually).

Iskandar

Postby Iskandar » Sun Dec 04, 2005 5:47 am

oh, side note: walker stupidity was never really fixed. the roadblock HELPED in Pharoh and later games... but.
(and Pharoh was actually a worse offender then CIII when it came to walker stupidity because Pharoh FORCED you to place intersections all over your housing blocks.)

Coen

C3 on Windows 2000?

Postby Coen » Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:11 pm

Struck by a sudden attack of nostalgia I wanted to see Caesar throwing his cup of wine away in anger one more time. Even if it meant mishandling Lugdunum again.

So I got out my C3 disc, and found that I couldn't install the game on my Windows 2000 PC. I read tricks about coaxing XP to accept C3, but can this be done for W2000 as well? Help is appreciated...

Rubicon

Postby Rubicon » Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:43 am

Coen wrote:Struck by a sudden attack of nostalgia I wanted to see Caesar throwing his cup of wine away in anger one more time. Even if it meant mishandling Lugdunum again.

So I got out my C3 disc, and found that I couldn't install the game on my Windows 2000 PC. I read tricks about coaxing XP to accept C3, but can this be done for W2000 as well? Help is appreciated...

I've heard of some performance problems with Win2k, but not installation issues. Did your original CD come with a Packard Bell PC, by any chance? If so, you can't install it on any non-Packard Bell computer, regardless of the OS.

Coen

Postby Coen » Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:12 pm

Rubicon wrote:I've heard of some performance problems with Win2k, but not installation issues. Did your original CD come with a Packard Bell PC, by any chance? If so, you can't install it on any non-Packard Bell computer, regardless of the OS.

No it didn't. I just bought it in a shop. I guess the CD must be faulty then (I did try to run it on a laptop once that later proved unable to read any CD; I guess that may have damaged it). Too bad...

Maybe there will be an angry Caesar in CIV?

Keith

Postby Keith » Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:37 am

Coen wrote:No it didn't. I just bought it in a shop. I guess the CD must be faulty then (I did try to run it on a laptop once that later proved unable to read any CD; I guess that may have damaged it). Too bad...

Maybe there will be an angry Caesar in CIV?

Are you getting a error message?

Reboot to the Safe mode and run the C3 install. Then reboot to normal after the install.

Windows 2000:
Restart the computer. When you see the "For troubleshooting and advanced startup options for Windows 2000, press F8" message, press the F8 key, and then select Safe Mode on the Startup menu.

You may want to post over in the C3 Tech Support thread at VUG/Sierra where I moderate where I can help you further.

Coen

Postby Coen » Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:42 pm

Thanks! Installing it through the safe mode did the job!

Keith

Postby Keith » Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:27 pm

Coen wrote:Thanks! Installing it through the safe mode did the job!

Cool! Glad it worked. :D Image

Lucius

Help!

Postby Lucius » Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:06 am

Hi fellow caesargamers, I used to have caesar3, however have lost it. just wondering any of you have any idea where i can purchase/download the caesar3 or even caesar 2. any help will be appreciated.

Cheers, Lucius, Singapore

Keith

Postby Keith » Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:32 am

You might find in some bargain bins by itself, but otherwise look for the combination packages "Great Empires Collection 2" or "Biggest Creators of Empires" it will have Caesar III in it and some of the other Impressions citybuilders as well all for the price you would pay for the original Caesar III alone.

Try Wal-Mart.com or Amazon.com.

emteg

Postby emteg » Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:48 pm

Just to bring up the road/city design discussion again:

I build my cities allways with a grid of 9x9 tiles. Allthough this created a lot of intersections i had never any troubles with playing the game. The layout would be like this:

hhhhhhhhh
hhhhhhhhh
hh........hh
hh........hh
hh...w...hh
hh........hh
hh........hh
hhhhhhhhh
hhhhhhhhh

h=houses/buildings
w=well

Each 9x9 block gets its own set of one market, one forum, firestation, engineer. I find this design very handy. Just my two cents.

Keith

Postby Keith » Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:52 pm

Rather than 9x9, I usually make my at elast 20 tiles long and about 5 tiles wide, 2 rows of housing down each side and one row down the center for gardens and fountains. 9x9 creates too many road intersections to suit me.

thischarmingman

Postby thischarmingman » Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:52 pm

emteg wrote: hhhhhhhhh
hhhhhhhhh
hh........hh
hh........hh
hh...w...hh
hh........hh
hh........hh
hhhhhhhhh
hhhhhhhhh

h=houses/buildings
w=well

do you mean fountain?

emteg

Postby emteg » Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:44 pm

yeah, ment fountain, sorry :)

Does anybody know where you can download patches, maps and the map editor for caesar 3? I googled but all the links were either pay-only or broken (ftp://sierra.de/...).
What does the patch 1.11 (?) do? Are there any custom maps? And does a map editor really exist?

PS: I need the patch for the german language if that is important.

Jimaaten

Postby Jimaaten » Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:14 pm

emteg wrote:Does anybody know where you can download patches, maps and the map editor for caesar 3? I googled but all the links were either pay-only or broken (ftp://sierra.de/...).
What does the patch 1.11 (?) do? Are there any custom maps? And does a map editor really exist?

PS: I need the patch for the german language if that is important.
Here's the link to the Sierra download for the patch and map editor.

emteg

Postby emteg » Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:17 pm

cool, thank you!

thischarmingman

Postby thischarmingman » Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:29 pm

what does the patch do? i know it's says on the read-me, but i dont have the patience and it's always so vague...

ShawnDeath

XP probs? or Cd Prob

Postby ShawnDeath » Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:16 pm

Well i have 3 comps at home
1 for old games win 95
1 for new games win xp
1 for college assignments win 98 off pro

so heres the deal

i used win 95 for old games like caesar 2,3 , pharaoh bla bla bla it worked fine
i installed in 98 it worked fine too
i installed in xp it worked ok but during those festival movies , debt movies , there werent any movie being played but a small black box. there's also no pics for milestone populations and bllablablabla.

so wats the prob here anyone can help me out?

thanx ^^

Patriciër

Same problem

Postby Patriciër » Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:24 pm

I have the same problems as you have. Caesar III doesn't play movies on my computer too. It doesn't bother me. I'm now used to it. :p

Return to “General Discussion”