Bah! This game does not deserve the title "Caesar IV"

Everything Caesar IV that doesn't fit elsewhere
Run
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2005 6:53 pm

Bah! This game does not deserve the title "Caesar IV"

Postby Run » Sun Aug 28, 2005 9:51 am

This is just as I feared it to be: a roman version of COTL.
Like COTL, it will probably be an OK game, but in no way whatsoever does it deserve to be called "Ceasar IV" because, by the looks of it, it shares none of the gameplay and game mechanics of the series. They should have called it something else, instead of cashing in on a popular series and inevitably disappointing many many players.

(I've looked around for a similar thread on this, as I was sure there'd be one, but apart from the odd comment I found nothing)

What bugs me the most is: what are the chances of there ever being a 'true' Caesar sequel now? One that uses the winning forumula of the original games? One that hasn't been rehashed into a completely different universe? Of course, since the game has only recently been announced, I'm sure some of you will be quick to point out that I'm being speculative. But I don't think that's an issue, because it's pretty obvious there aren't going to be 'walkers' any more.

I'm disappointed, to say the least.

- Run

P.s. Before this was announced I made a webpage for a caesar sequel, might help people get an idea of where I stand on this.

Keith
Posts: 9976
Joined: Wed May 05, 2004 4:00 pm
Location: USA
Contact:

Postby Keith » Sun Aug 28, 2005 10:00 am

Image
...............

Run
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2005 6:53 pm

Postby Run » Sun Aug 28, 2005 10:07 am

If you disagree, that's fine, but I'm only expressing my opinion on this game's choice of title and, given that I didn't insult anyone or swear or use sarcastic tones, I am unsure of how you came to the conclusion that I am 'trolling'.

This is the only thread I will start on the subject, it is the only thread I will post in on the subject, so I certainly won't be "trolling the forums", even if expressing a negative opinion is "trolling", now.

Back to topic. What are your thoughts, Keith, on the choice of title for this game? Do you believe it is misleading the community?

Keith
Posts: 9976
Joined: Wed May 05, 2004 4:00 pm
Location: USA
Contact:

Postby Keith » Sun Aug 28, 2005 10:45 am

Run wrote:If you disagree, that's fine, but I'm only expressing my opinion on this game's choice of title and, given that I didn't insult anyone or swear or use sarcastic tones, I am unsure of how you came to the conclusion that I am 'trolling'.

This is the only thread I will start on the subject, it is the only thread I will post in on the subject, so I certainly won't be "trolling the forums", even if expressing a negative opinion is "trolling", now.

Back to topic. What are your thoughts, Keith, on the choice of title for this game? Do you believe it is misleading the community?



So little info is available it's hard to believe anyone can be so adamant. There's a long wait between now and Fall 2006.

The game is being published by VUGames/Sierra, so they can call it what they like. I don't read things into game just because they put a number after the title. Nothing says that Caesar IV has to resemble Caesar III in anyway.

BTW, the thread title is a dead giveaway as a troll, the addition of the link to your site sort of tops it off.

Run
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2005 6:53 pm

Postby Run » Sun Aug 28, 2005 10:50 am

The title of the thread is my opinion, enclosed inside is the post explaining why it is my opinion. What's the big deal about that? Perhaps I'd have put the opinion in inverted commas so that people would know I'm discussing the opinion, but there are enough inverted commas already. Anyway, let it rest. I have no more to say on the subject of trolling.

Keith wrote:Nothing says that Caesar IV has to resemble Caesar III in anyway.


No, but one would naturally assume that it would have some degree of similarity, especially since the first three were apparently so similar to each other in gameplay mechanics (relatively).

MarkDuffy
Posts: 9232
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2004 6:30 pm
Location: San Diego, California

Postby MarkDuffy » Sun Aug 28, 2005 11:22 am

Run wrote:Bah! This game does not deserve the title "Caesar IV"


Welcome to our family, Run. :)

What an appropriate moniker! I hope you realize how much I love your thread title. You are wrong, though. Sorry! :p

This is the only thread I will start on the subject, it is the only thread I will post in on the subject, so I certainly won't be "trolling the forums", even if expressing a negative opinion is "trolling", now.


Apparently, that is EXACTLY the definition of trolling. Like it? I do!

Thucydides
Posts: 710
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 3:55 am
Location: Canberra, Australia

surprised

Postby Thucydides » Sun Aug 28, 2005 11:42 am

I am surprised someone can make such an adament statement about the merit of a game a year before its release... Most game sequels I know improved on their predecessors, and I would be surprised if Caesar IV did not deliver some significant improvements in gameplay and visuals on the earlier Caesar games. That is simply the nature of the gaming industry. So lighten up Run and wait until the game is developed and released before casting such a vehment judgement.

angelisis
Posts: 1019
Joined: Tue May 18, 2004 4:00 pm
Location: WORLD OF WARCRAFT

Postby angelisis » Sun Aug 28, 2005 12:00 pm

i find this sooo hilarious to say the least....we would be still playing bubble bobble and wonderboy if people did not advace the games to what they can do now.
i can't wait for the day when i can put on a set of goggels and walk through a city i build....it will happen you know....get prepared :p :D

vic_4
Posts: 2352
Joined: Fri May 07, 2004 9:11 am
Location: Rome Italy

Postby vic_4 » Sun Aug 28, 2005 2:24 pm

It is really hard to say just now how it will be the new game, but if is based on COTN and it can fulfill its premises, I think it will well deserve the name Caesar IV.

Afterburner
Posts: 73
Joined: Wed May 05, 2004 4:00 pm

Postby Afterburner » Sun Aug 28, 2005 2:38 pm

Run wrote:No, but one would naturally assume that it would have some degree of similarity, especially since the first three were apparently so similar to each other in gameplay mechanics (relatively).


Except that Caesar3 was very much unlike Caesar2 or Caesar. The buildings in the first two games didn't spawn walkers, and simply had an "effect radius" like Police Stations and Fire Stations in SimCity. Designing a city in the first two games involved having overlapping effect radii for your various buildings to ensure your housing was adequately provided for.

Caesar3 removed the effect radii and added the walkers, and as a consequence became a completely different game. Caesar3 was as different from Caesar2 as Caesar4 will be from Caesar3. And that's okay.

Run
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2005 6:53 pm

Postby Run » Sun Aug 28, 2005 4:04 pm

Fair point. Having not played it, I didn't know that there were no walkers and such. In that case I retract my original opinion. It's a shame though; I really enjoyed that aspect of the mechanics in Caesar III and Pharaoh and it would have been nice to have a 3D version, and with more elements, but based on the same engine.

Amris
Posts: 55
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2005 1:15 pm
Location: New Hamphire, USA... brrrr!

Postby Amris » Sun Aug 28, 2005 4:33 pm

I share your concern to a degree. I personally hope very much that it more resembles C3 than COTN. I found COTN to be immensely boring, and C3 to be utterly and completely engrossing.

But I with-hold judgement. Probably because I so WANT to love his game.

And currently, looking at the screenshots, I see more of a resemblance- so far- to C3 than to COTN.

Only time will tell. But you are not alone in hoping for a C4 instead of a COTN2. ;)

MarkDuffy
Posts: 9232
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2004 6:30 pm
Location: San Diego, California

Postby MarkDuffy » Sun Aug 28, 2005 4:39 pm

Run, we have lots of "walkers" in COTN. Many have complained that they walk too much. ;)

They just walk differently.

If you haven't tried, COTN, you should! :) It is a GREAT game. :)

Run
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2005 6:53 pm

Postby Run » Sun Aug 28, 2005 5:07 pm

I have; I've got the game. But like Amris I found it very slow and boring. The game seemed to play itself to some extent, and left me out of loop. I just love the excessive micromanagement of Pharaoh :D

Ah well, we'll see how it turns out.

mouse
Posts: 1723
Joined: Thu May 06, 2004 5:21 am

Postby mouse » Sun Aug 28, 2005 5:19 pm

C4 is going to be based on a brand new game engine which by it's very nature will keep it from being a clone of CotN. It's awfully difficult to judge a game that hasn't even made it to the alpha stage yet.

MarkDuffy
Posts: 9232
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2004 6:30 pm
Location: San Diego, California

Postby MarkDuffy » Sun Aug 28, 2005 5:26 pm

Run wrote: I just love the excessive micromanagement of Pharaoh :D


Another GREAT game! :)

My fav was Zeus/Poseidon

I loved the adventure concept where you started out simple with few buildings available, then went to a colony & back to your main city.

Military conquest & invasions, trading, angry gods rampaging, earthquakes/lava that destroyed huge swaths of your city & made you rebuild elsewhere & especially HEROES!

Yum! :D
Last edited by MarkDuffy on Sun Aug 28, 2005 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sitearm
Posts: 1432
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2004 4:00 pm
Contact:

You might like to contribute to Pharaoh article

Postby sitearm » Sun Aug 28, 2005 5:46 pm

You might like to contribute to Wikipedia's Pharaoh article. It is just a stub, now.

Run wrote:...love ...Pharaoh

Run
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2005 6:53 pm

Postby Run » Sun Aug 28, 2005 5:49 pm

Oooooh. That's new; I couldn't find one before.

imhotep3147
Posts: 820
Joined: Tue May 18, 2004 7:11 am

Postby imhotep3147 » Sun Aug 28, 2005 6:43 pm

angelisis wrote:....we would be still playing bubble bobble



:eek: I remember Bubble Bobble....with the little dragony looking thingys that ate the bubbles!!!!!! :D I miss that game. :rolleyes:

Acamas
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2005 10:30 pm

Postby Acamas » Sun Aug 28, 2005 10:32 pm

LOL! I knew this would happen. Do you realize they made COTN so that they can correct the mistakes they made there so that Caesar IV would be perfect? COTN is the first to undergo the new change in the city building series which is good so Caesar IV would be even greater because of its popularity.


Return to “General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests