Quiz: Roman History and Culture

Everything Caesar IV that doesn't fit elsewhere
Keith

Postby Keith » Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:53 am

As noted, above if you don't hear the "correct" or "wrong" sounds of the game you don't have Sun Java installed.

Keith

Postby Keith » Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:25 pm

It's been a while since there's been any action.

I took the suggestions made last time and returned the quiz to the original 25 questions. Good luck!

Freeminder

Postby Freeminder » Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:15 pm

i herd sounds of people dying when i lost an anser and a genrel shouting something when i got one right and all but one question... i gessed the ansers and yet i got -1 :) pretty good for gessesing uh

equilibrium

Postby equilibrium » Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:08 pm

My final score was 2! I'm just glad I didn't get a minus number :D

Great quiz! :)

Keith

Postby Keith » Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:19 am

Freeminder wrote:i herd sounds of people dying when i lost an anser and a genrel shouting something when i got one right and all but one question... i gessed the ansers and yet i got -1 :) pretty good for gessesing uh

Those are sound files from Caesar III that you are hearing. A dieing sound when you get it wrong and one of the military command sounds when you get it right.

Keep playing, the questions change and the answers are not always in the same order as they were the last time you saw them. Some require more than one answer.

Keith

Postby Keith » Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:22 am

equilibrium wrote:My final score was 2! I'm just glad I didn't get a minus number :D

Great quiz! :)

There is currently a database of 108 questions that the quiz randomly draws 25 from each time you play.

If you play it over you may see some questions again, but there should be more that you haven't seen yet.

I think it's a fun way to learn something about the Roman Empire.

Hermann the Lombard

Postby Hermann the Lombard » Sun Feb 18, 2007 5:28 am

I'd rather know how many I got right rather than have the penalties for wrong answers. The first time I tried to answer all the questions and got a minus 2 score. The third time I did not answer almost half the questions and got a 13. The second time hung up in the middle. Naturally I learned more when I got a bad score (including learning that it's better not to try!)

Keith

Postby Keith » Sun Feb 18, 2007 7:39 am

The penalties are the way the quiz is programmed and I can't do anything about that. I guess the author wanted to discourage random guessing. I can only create the questions and the answers.

dorn

Postby dorn » Sun Feb 18, 2007 4:23 pm

-11....yeah well, however, i should kno a lotta more, but thats also okay... :o

Keith

Postby Keith » Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:07 pm

I haven't played in a while. +23 not too bad. ;) :D Missed one question about currency.

I think I'll work on adding some new questions to the database.

Keith

Postby Keith » Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:20 pm

I've added 25 more new questions to the database bringing the total up to 134 the quiz can pick from.

MarkDuffy

Postby MarkDuffy » Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:37 pm

Well, Keith, the question becomes...

Has Caesar IV taught me anything?

Uh, no! :( ~ -2 :D (Disclaimer: I was very close on the multiple choice this time! :cool: )

No sound this time, but I don't know whether or not I have Sun Java. I wuz afraid to click on it.

Herodotus

Postby Herodotus » Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:54 pm

Try here - the link seems to be more user friendly, ie more obvious what to download
http://www.java.com/en/download/windows_ie.jsp

If you have Sun Java, when you click on Keith's quiz link, the Sun icon - a cup of coffee - will appear in the system tray.

Another way to find out if you already installed it, in IE7 click Tools, and you should see an item "Sun Java Console" (and the coffee cup will appear also). If you can see this, you already have Sun Java installed.
Last edited by Herodotus on Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MarkDuffy

Postby MarkDuffy » Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:21 pm

Herodotus wrote:To find out if you already installed it, in IE7 click Tools and you should see an item "Sun Java Console". If you can see this, you already have Sun Java installed.

Well, Herodotus, simply clicking on IE7 shows nothing about Sun Java, so you claim I don't have it. The real question I am having is do I need it & & what will it change on my computer? Just for a little game? Uh, I don't think so.

People are always telling me to install stuff & I will usually refuse to have all this garbage.

I am VERY cautious, & this is why my computer has never had any problems. If it was important, then Bill Gates would have put it on mah White Box.

EDIT: But thank you! :) When I find other reasons to install it, then I will. I am usually last to do anything. ;)
Last edited by MarkDuffy on Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Herodotus

Postby Herodotus » Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:39 pm

Well I did a quick look to try and find the answer to "What SJ will do for me", but only got technobabble.

I guess if you visit somewhere else that actually needs it, it should tell you that, sort of like all these other add-ons do.

Keith

Postby Keith » Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:08 pm

If you don't have Sun Java you are probably using the less secure Microsoft Virtual Machine utility, which is the default engine. Sun Java, according to what I read is more secure. I wouldn't put a link up if it wasn't safe to use. I've been running Sun Java here for quite some time and have Microsoft's Virtual Machine disabled in my browser advance options.

You apparently won't get the sounds if you don't have Sun Java. I think Dorn found that out.

Java Detected : 1.5.0_09 from Sun Microsystems Inc. on Windows XP
[URL="http://java.com/en/download/index.jsp?cid=jdp84244"][URL="http://java.com/en/download/index.jsp?cid=jdp84244"]http://java.com/en/download/index.jsp?cid=jdp84244http://java.com/en/img/everywhere/getjava_sm.gif?cid=jdp84244[/URL]
[/URL]Windows Vista users, please get java (only the JRE) here
Last edited by Keith on Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MarkDuffy

Postby MarkDuffy » Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:19 pm

Keith wrote:You apparently won't get the sounds if you don't have Sun Java. I think Dorn found that out.

It was a bumpy ride, Keith. Not so before. I don't know if anything with your Quiz has changed, but my computer is behaving a bit differently since those 11 XP auto-updates that I told you about.

It is mostly a bigger lag with my dialup & I cannot rule out my provider. Time will tell.

The first time I clicked on your link I got hung up. The next time I got the cursor-as-hourglass & I aborted after a loong while. Third time worked.

Not sure what is going on.

All is well. I will wait to install Sun Java, but thankx! I've heard the "safe" song & dance before. You know me, Keith. If something screws up you know how to fix it. I'm proudly computer stupid. ;)
Last edited by MarkDuffy on Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Keith

Postby Keith » Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:09 pm

Sun Java is a product from Sun Microsystems. They have a good rep.

My quiz is hosted on my AOL site and it's been a bit laggy and slow lately, so it may take a while to open fully. I just tried it myself and it took considerably longer to loadup. The first time you visit it has to cache the sound files, etc. so that can explain the delay for some people, but after that it should open more quickly.

I fixed the link on my quiz page that takes you right to the Sun Java RTE download page so there is no confusion of what you need to download.

dorn

Postby dorn » Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:24 am

I think we' ll never convince him to install something sooo unsecure on his pc...i don't know mark is to afraid of things- you have to take a risk some time again in your life. ;) :D

"I'll pick you up- route 66
life gives me the kick!"
:eek: :D

Keith

Postby Keith » Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:51 am

Update!

I just added 26 new questions to the quiz database. The database now has a total of 160 questions to select from.

Return to “General Discussion”