how many legions can you control?

Everything Caesar IV that doesn't fit elsewhere
pheeph

how many legions can you control?

Postby pheeph » Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:34 pm

Just saw the trailer. Is there a maximum number of Roman Legions you can control in this game?

MarkDuffy

Postby MarkDuffy » Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:43 pm

Fifty !!! :D That's 50 X 20 = 1000 troops!

(joke)

We don't know yet. We have an image with 5 Forts (Perhaps, definitely 4) & a Company with a Standard Bearer & 20 troops. That is my guess for a "company" of soldiers.
Last edited by MarkDuffy on Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wodinoneeye

Postby wodinoneeye » Sun Jul 30, 2006 3:11 am

Having multiple Legions/Fleets would offer another problem set for the player if different numbers of troops can be assigned to handle different kinds of tasks (ie less troops for holding conquered territory versus an Army attacking to conquer new territory...)

Would be another resource management problem to be solved....

Keith

Postby Keith » Sun Jul 30, 2006 6:57 am

Whatever it is, I hope it is more than just six forts this time.

Matsky

Postby Matsky » Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:24 am

Roman Legions as far as I know were generally made up of 10 Cohorts (100 troops each) so it'd be cool if you could have up to 10 Forts for your cohorts, and balance the infantry/cavalry/auxiliary however you wanted or how circumstances required.

I don't excpect the fighting element of the game to be that detailed (such as a Total War game for instance) as it's not the area of a City Builder, but it'd be cool to have the detailed structure in place. Be neat if you could construct like Officer Academies too (not sure of the accuracy of that) and get your Generals and Officers and the guy with the trumpet and standard thing.

One element of Caesar III I really loved was "lending" your army to the Senate for various wars and such, and being awarded the Triumphal Arches when they returned safely. Always felt neat to know your armies were off serving the bigger purpose, and awesome when they came back because they seemed like awesome vets (escapism is great).

Gizza

Postby Gizza » Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:15 am

One element of Caesar III I really loved was "lending" your army to the Senate for various wars and such, and being awarded the Triumphal Arches when they returned safely. Always felt neat to know your armies were off serving the bigger purpose, and awesome when they came back because they seemed like awesome vets (escapism is great).

I agree completely, i hope theyve kept that in for Caesar IV, that would be great.

Gizza

Keith

Postby Keith » Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:06 pm

Matsky wrote:Roman Legions as far as I know were generally made up of 10 Cohorts (100 troops each) so it'd be cool if you could have up to 10 Forts for your cohorts, and balance the infantry/cavalry/auxiliary however you wanted or how circumstances required.

Actually, only the first cohort had 100 men, all the rest had 80 men. A legion was made up of 59 cohorts. Don't ask me how they settled on a odd number like 59.

Matsky wrote:I don't excpect the fighting element of the game to be that detailed (such as a Total War game for instance) as it's not the area of a City Builder, but it'd be cool to have the detailed structure in place. Be neat if you could construct like Officer Academies too (not sure of the accuracy of that) and get your Generals and Officers and the guy with the trumpet and standard thing.

Since Caesar IV will be borrowing a lot from Caesar III I would not be surprised to see the return of the military academy in some form or other.

I think someone noted that they read somewhere just recently that we will have the ability to win and build triumphal arches once again.

MarkDuffy

Postby MarkDuffy » Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:36 pm

All Classic CBs had the send your army off to do battle thingie. TM wouldn't be bringing anything "back" from C3.

In COTN you brought back Prestige & could then build a Propaganda Monument for it.

Expect C4 to retain this. Here is an image of a C4 scenario goal screen. This should answer any questions that you no longer have. :)

Excited yet? :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Keith

Postby Keith » Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:42 pm

TM wouldn't be bringing anything "back" from C3.

Huh? Sure they would. The whole game is basically being brought back in a revamped format.

Return to “General Discussion”