Last Mission = Frustration

Have suggestions for Caesar IV? Post 'em here!
ferencius

Last Mission = Frustration

Postby ferencius » Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:51 pm

:mad: A couple of days ago I finished the last Militray Imperial Mission, Colonia Agrippina. Although I played it well, I built up 10 forts, but I couldn't use them for the battle against the barbarian, although I sent them when Caesar requested them. It's very frustrating to have the hardest military scenario and you can finish it without building an army. In the China game (the Emperor one) you had at least to defend or to conqeur other cities or lands. My suggest for the next game (C5 or C4 expansion): instead to reach the points in culture, favour, etc, you have to defend your city for 10 years, or conquer with your (very strong army) other cities or regions.

Keith

Postby Keith » Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:19 pm

You must have been doing something wrong. I had no problems with Colonia Agrippa. You don't have to send your entire legion out when Caesar requests or demands troops. You just have to send enough of the right type to defeat the barbarians and win the battle. I managed to do that by sending out roughly three cohorts of the 12 I had in Colonia Agrippa when such a request came in.

I had enough troops left in my city to defend against the barbarian invasions even the huge one that comes shortly after the initial attacks.

The missions simulates building in Germany one of the toughest frontiers for the Romans at the time, it shouldn't be easy and you should need a good sized army to do the job. I think they got it right within the limits of the game design.

It might have been interesting to be able to send out your army to conquer other cities and create vassals as in Emperor Rise of the Middle Kingdom, but then Impressions Games didn't do Emperor, Breakaway Games did. Many of the former Imps now work at TM.

ferencius

Maybe I wrote it wrong

Postby ferencius » Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:44 pm

I finished without problems the mission, with a perfectly satisfied population. The only thing I didn't like is that, although the toughest military mission, I could have finish it without building up any army: Military very hard vs. No army; isn't that a contraddiction?

Sending the whole army or only one legion: all troops sent would be much more experienced, but I didn't need them ... cause I finished the missione before the arrival of the enemies.

MarkDuffy

Postby MarkDuffy » Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:05 pm

Welcome to our family, Ferencius! :)

I feel your pain. I absolutely loved military & World Map in Zeus!

However, you say you sent cohorts to Rome, so you DID actually need them.

I agree that the built-in ability to bribe invaders is not perhaps the best choice & together with gifting for Favor ~ Scenarios can be won too quickly.

You don't HAVE to play that way & also can Continue Play to fight all the invasions.

As to an expansion or C5, I would definitely love a much better triggered Empire Level. If TM could join COTN & Zeus as far as how these things are handled, I would definitely be in Paradise!

Rnett

Postby Rnett » Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:14 pm

You dont need to bribe them in that scenario, just hit the goals and it will end automatically. (just like Londonium and some others)

Keith

Postby Keith » Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:25 am

I tend to think there is a "reverse logic" occuring in these games, where hard and very hard really aren't and normal is harder than hard or very hard. I believe that the game was developed around the normal mode and that something weird happens in the supposedly tougher difficulty settings. I play in the normal mode. Your post just seems to confirm my suspicions.

I remember that this "reverse logic" was in effect in Pharaoh, where I actually found the higher difficulty modes easier to play at than the normal one.

goonsquad

Postby goonsquad » Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:11 pm

Keith wrote:
It might have been interesting to be able to send out your army to conquer other cities and create vassals as in Emperor Rise of the Middle Kingdom, but then Impressions Games didn't do Emperor, Breakaway Games did. Many of the former Imps now work at TM.

My Emperor CD case has "Impressions City Building Series" emblazoned across the top and the Impressions logo on the front cover. The Breakaway logo appears only on the back. So I think it appears that Impressions did have quite a lot to do with the Emperor game. Certainly, playing the game leave you in no doubt that the game engine dates back to Caesar 3.

MarkDuffy

Postby MarkDuffy » Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:35 pm

goonsquad wrote:My Emperor CD case has "Impressions City Building Series" emblazoned across the top and the Impressions logo on the front cover. The Breakaway logo appears only on the back.

Very weird things going on here. I don't know the total history of these things.

My Emperor is like yours, but this Wikipedia sez that Cleo was also made by Breakaway, but no logo is on my disks or cases. Just Impressions.

Sounds like around that time, things were beginning to change.

EDIT: Just stuck in my Cleo disk. Intro is Breakaway & then Impressions.
Last edited by MarkDuffy on Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jimaaten

Postby Jimaaten » Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:05 pm

As I understand it, Breakaway did Cleo and Emperor for Impressions in much the same way that TM is doing Sim City Societies for EA. I wouldn't be surprised to see EA all over the front of SCS packaging and TM on the back. :)

Kiya

Postby Kiya » Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:16 pm

MarkDuffy wrote:Very weird things going on here. I don't know the total history of these things.

My Emperor is like yours, but this Wikipedia sez that Cleo was also made by Breakaway, but no logo is on my disks or cases. Just Impressions.

Sounds like around that time, things were beginning to change.

Very weird things going on indeed.

I have a combo pack of all the classical city building games, and they a have both Sierra and impressions games stamped on them. The 'old' Cleo CD on the other hand has only Sierra on it.

My Emperor box has Sierra and Impressions Games mentioned first, and then Breakaways Games with the label 'developed by'.

My Cleo box, the original big box from 2000, says only Sierra on the front cover, but on the back side it says first Breakaway Games and then Impressions Games. The combo pack has all 3 names on the back side of the jewel case, and again Breakaway games with 'developed by' under it. As if BG did all of them???

To me it seems as if it became important to have Impressions games on every disc and box, whether they developed them or not.

Wikipedia, hm... isn't possible for everyone to write there, whether they actually know or not? (Remembering some inaccurate things that were written in Wikipedia about CoTN...I even asked here on the forums if someone could correct them.)
Last edited by Kiya on Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JuliaSet

Postby JuliaSet » Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:12 pm

I was in the test for both Emperor and for Cleopatra(my first) and was working with directly with Breakaway, and indirectly with Impressions Games. Impressions gave them a list of testers to add to those they had already and that is how my testing experience grew.

Breakaway was also hired by Firaxis to do Civ3-Conquests. Being on a list of reliable testers can give one exposure to many game companies, as they often license their xps to another company.

Return to “Suggestions”