this game needs a patch

Have suggestions for Caesar IV? Post 'em here!
marcus_uproarius

this game needs a patch

Postby marcus_uproarius » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:12 pm

I am playing the Corduba scenario. There are no presets regarding favor or other goals for the city other than a million population. Here are the problems that still persist with this game, from the last time I played it, about two years ago;

Favor & Requests - Caesar or Rome is ridiculous in the amount and frequency of requests. I understand Corduba would be considered an expert map, but considering it is sandbox essentially, the requests from Rome are patently ridiculous. withing 2 years Caesar is braying for 50 grain. By the third year he wants 50 grain, 50 weapons and 1,000 denarii. This continues each succesive year no matter how much you fulfill and frankly it is patently impossible to even make 50 weapons within the first 4-5 years when you consider the basic needs of the city. Armor requests come along shortly thereafter. All the while the Gauls invade every other year it seems, so using gatehouses is better than using up weapons needed to keep the economy going(trade). How is this playable?

Equite and Plebian satisfaction - no matter how much in services is available in the city, both classes foam at the mouth at how low their wages are. Notwithstanding that Rome is hammering away at you for denarii and all listed above, the max wage for Equite is 48 denar and even this doesn't keep them satisfied. Lowering sales tax to 2% has little effect until nearly every last Equite floods out of the city, then the cycle repeats with the incoming settlers. How is this playable?

Aerable land for farming - the size of the maps is far too small for this game. Aerable land is sparse and far away unless you plan to build small autonomous communities on the outskirts later linking them by filling out the middle as your city goes massive. How this is even possible considering the requests from Rome alone is mind-boggling. The amount of food, resources, factories and services/entertainment(space required, employment) alone to keep a small city happy in my mind does not allow for the 1 millin mark to even be considered for this map or any in the default "sandbox" scenarios. How is this playable?

Now I know what some of you will say, "make your own scenarios in the editor". Fair enough, I just dusted this game off after a hiatus and would really just like to play it and enjoy it before I get into learning how to make a viable scenario. The learning curve may not be huge, but it is just not what I am into at the moment. Not to slag Tilted Mill but I suggest alot of what I have listed here is why this game got low reviews and little play time out of myself for one.

I suggest a patch addressing some of this is warranted.

Keith

Postby Keith » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:25 pm

A patch will never be.

Sierra owns the rights to Caesar IV. Sierra merged with Activision-Blizzard and is basically just a studio of Activison-Blizzard now in name only (I don't think they are a working studio, A-B just kept a number of the Sierra games as their own.)

TM couldn't do if they wanted to without permission from Sierra or Activision-Blizzard or without funds to finance a patch.

The only hope is that TM someday will come out of hybernation when things get better in the economy and re-invent Caesar IV as one of their own projects with a new name.

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:18 am

Howdy, marcus_uproarius!

"" wrote:I am playing the Corduba scenario. There are no presets regarding favor or other goals for the city other than a million population. Here are the problems that still persist with this game, from the last time I played it, about two years ago;

Corduba is a sandbox, there is no win screen possible, thus no rating goals. The 1 million population is a TM joke. :D

Favor & Requests - Caesar or Rome is ridiculous in the amount and frequency of requests. I understand Corduba would be considered an expert map, but considering it is sandbox essentially, the requests from Rome are patently ridiculous. withing 2 years Caesar is braying for 50 grain. By the third year he wants 50 grain, 50 weapons and 1,000 denarii. This continues each succesive year no matter how much you fulfill and frankly it is patently impossible to even make 50 weapons within the first 4-5 years when you consider the basic needs of the city. Armor requests come along shortly thereafter. All the while the Gauls invade every other year it seems, so using gatehouses is better than using up weapons needed to keep the economy going(trade). How is this playable?

More C4 experience would hlep you. ;)

Equite and Plebian satisfaction - no matter how much in services is available in the city, both classes foam at the mouth at how low their wages are. Notwithstanding that Rome is hammering away at you for denarii and all listed above, the max wage for Equite is 48 denar and even this doesn't keep them satisfied. Lowering sales tax to 2% has little effect until nearly every last Equite floods out of the city, then the cycle repeats with the incoming settlers. How is this playable?

Equites get upset when your treasury gets below about 1000 dn. Increasing their salaries just makes it worse, cuz then you will have to keep an even larger treasury. Equites also have to have jobs to get paid at all. No job = ZERO wages. Plebs get paid even if unemployed. Services not involved at all.

You need to max your exports & make sure you are taxing all markets for sales tax. Be careful of your spending on building.

Aerable land for farming - the size of the maps is far too small for this game. Aerable land is sparse and far away unless you plan to build small autonomous communities on the outskirts later linking them by filling out the middle as your city goes massive. How this is even possible considering the requests from Rome alone is mind-boggling. The amount of food, resources, factories and services/entertainment(space required, employment) alone to keep a small city happy in my mind does not allow for the 1 millin mark to even be considered for this map or any in the default "sandbox" scenarios. How is this playable?

Sandbox maps are huge as are Empire Campaign maps. Republic maps are tiny, especially at the start. It gets better.

Now I know what some of you will say, "make your own scenarios in the editor". Fair enough, I just dusted this game off after a hiatus and would really just like to play it and enjoy it before I get into learning how to make a viable scenario. The learning curve may not be huge, but it is just not what I am into at the moment. Not to slag Tilted Mill but I suggest alot of what I have listed here is why this game got low reviews and little play time out of myself for one.

I suggest a patch addressing some of this is warranted.

You can try playing on easy difficulty until your experience level increases. That will help with your problem ~ money.

Good Luck! :)

Return to “Suggestions”