New Ideas!

Have suggestions for Caesar IV? Post 'em here!
Conh

New Ideas!

Postby Conh » Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:59 am

The building games are a dying. We need a new refreshing building game. The new building game should be based on the old building series with alot of new ideas.

In Caesar you only build a city and build troops to defend your city from barbarians! You have to meet requirement of population, culture etc. And the map in Caesar 4 should be more like Caesar 3. I still like Caesar 3 alot more than Caesar 4. And in 2011 I still play Caesar 3 and not Caesar 4.

So here are my ideas.

You Keep Caesar like it is and adds new features and ideas. So basically its the same building game with more contents to it. You take the old gameplay and blend it with new features and call it Caesar 5.

1. Caesar games need a story! Most modern games are story driven and what people look for are stories. If you dont got game with story then it wont sell good.

2. Online Play! Ceasar 4 already got this but it is boring.

3. You can send your soldiers to attack and Counquer lands. That way in online play it gets more interesting. You can control you soldiers when they are attacking enemies

Everyone else having other ideas please post it here. We need to help the developers and give them ideas. Developers always listen to its fans. So help them out. We cannot let such a good game series die out.

Keith

Postby Keith » Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:48 am

You Keep Caesar like it is and adds new features and ideas. So basically its the same building game with more contents to it. You take the old gameplay and blend it with new features and call it Caesar 5. There's been lots of talk about this in past threads over the years, I'm all for it. However, I think the "Caesar" name is trademarked with Sierra, which was merged with Activision in 2009 as part of a newer Activision-Blizzard company. Sierra was then demoted to just a development studio. So I don't think the new game would be called "Caesar 5".
1. Caesar games need a story! Most modern games are story driven and what people look for are stories. If you dont got game with story then it wont sell good. I don't agree that a story is needed. I don't particulary care for scripted storylines, because they tend to limit the possibilities of game play, because you will always have to complete a certain set of fixed goals for the story to progress. I much prefer the way Caesar 3/4 handles the campaign game.
2. Online Play! Ceasar 4 already got this but it is boring. It had online play, but that ended about a year after the game was released. I didn't play online more than a couple of times, perferring to play the normal campaigns in the game instead. Some sort of online gaming feature would need to be worked out, but it would probably tend towards warfare between players, with some trading. The main focus of the game has always been "city building" not "warfare" as stated by the designers years ago. Not everyone wants to play a "war game" or have to fight. So there would have to be some sort of dual campaign path like Caesar 3/4 had.
3. You can send your soldiers to attack and Counquer lands. That way in online play it gets more interesting. You can control you soldiers when they are attacking enemiesThis would change the focus of the game series as it has been over the entire series to this point as noted above. Again, not everyone wants to fight and would just prefer to build and trade.

More control over the troops in battle would be outstanding. I have often said that I miss the "battle" control screen of Caesar 2. Once your forces engaged, the game would switch to a new screen where you forces were arrayed against the enemy. You could then position your units on the map and issue each unit orders before and during the battle, on wheter the defend or attack, and to use different formations. I found that part of Caesar 2 to be a lot of fun, but because of problems with the switching and caching of the game screens it tended to crash many of the early 90's computers, so it was dropped in Caesar 3. The method employed in Caesar 4 was less satisfying and a bit more frustating that its predecessors.

I also have said that I would like to see the return of the Caesar 2 Empire map and possibly the return of the province map as well instead of the all-in-one maps in Caesar 3 and 4.

In Caesar II you had a empire map with all the provinces of the Roman Empire from which to select the province you would govern next. Once selected you had a province map that showed the entire province and its resources and a city map where you built your city. You would spend time building roads and conquering barbarian villages on the provincial map, and when a enemy invaded you would move your legions from forts you have built and manned to intercept the enemy. Once the battle was joined you switch over the the battle screen and carried out the battle as I mentioned above. The city map is where you spent your time building your city block by block, not too different than you did in Caesar 3.

I would like to see the retention of the citybuilding style of Caesar 4. Caesar 3 was too artificial, it led to the development of the "perfect block" designs that could be made in any province just like a cookie cutter. It required to imagination and it wasn't as organic as the cities in Caesar 4.

Return to “Suggestions”