How are they going to make believe there are no slaves???

Have suggestions for Caesar IV? Post 'em here!
wodinoneeye

How are they going to make believe there are no slaves???

Postby wodinoneeye » Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:53 am

Rome had slaves.
Rome had alot of slaves.
How fictional is their version of Rome going to be.....

Rubicon

Postby Rubicon » Mon Aug 22, 2005 1:13 pm

Well, it's playing with dynamite to create something that can be construed as "having fun by simulating the enslavement of humans." If someone can get their fifteen minutes of fame by picketing TM and getting their face on Good Morning America, it will happen!

NeilV

Postby NeilV » Mon Aug 22, 2005 3:07 pm

They could just make them indentured workers as thats what most of them were anyway ;)

PCDania

Postby PCDania » Mon Aug 22, 2005 3:32 pm

There were no slaves in Caesar, CII or CIII so why should they add them in CIV so slaves should not become a problem at all.

As a sidenote, political correctness is starting to make me sick. It's just a lie giving a false feeling of doing or saying the right thing. Name things by their correct name so people know what the talk is about and if the thing is bad then start working on correcting it instead.

arcan

Postby arcan » Mon Aug 22, 2005 3:35 pm

PCDania wrote:There were no slaves in Caesar, CII or CIII so why should they add them in CIV so slaves should not become a problem at all.

As a sidenote, political correctness is starting to make me sick. It's just a lie giving a false feeling of doing or saying the right thing. Name things by their correct name so people know what the talk is about and if the thing is bad then start working on correcting it instead.

+1
Besides slaves existed in ancient Rome so why pretend they didn't? Just put them in the game...

Svip

Postby Svip » Mon Aug 22, 2005 3:36 pm

If we added slaves it would make sense to add Saturn as a God into the game, and then you could celebrate Saturnalia, which according to Wikipedia is;

Wikipedia wrote:The Saturnalia was a festival in honor of Saturn which occurred on December 17. It was originally only one day long but later lasted one week. During the Saturnalia, roles of master and slave were reversed, moral restrictions lessened, and the rules of etiquette ignored.

dreamsoftwilight

Postby dreamsoftwilight » Mon Aug 22, 2005 4:10 pm

And you could also see slaves fleeing to a nearby temple of Diana to find sanctuary. :)

You could have slaves in the game, but just makes them indentured servants, as already suggested.

I agree with PCDania, but its not starting to make me sick, Ive been sick of political correctness for years now. People need to stop worrying about if they are gonna offend someone else by using "the wrong term" for something...

Rubicon

Postby Rubicon » Mon Aug 22, 2005 4:12 pm

Couldn't agree more!
PCDania wrote:There were no slaves in Caesar, CII or CIII so why should they add them in CIV so slaves should not become a problem at all.

sitearm

Postby sitearm » Mon Aug 22, 2005 5:04 pm

hmm... the Roman Orgies... have to ask Rubicon to research this for us :D

Svip wrote:... you could celebrate Saturnalia...

Rubicon

Postby Rubicon » Mon Aug 22, 2005 5:16 pm

Now THAT'S a research project I could get into! :cool:
sitearm9 wrote:hmm... the Roman Orgies... have to ask Rubicon to research this for us :D

Svip

Postby Svip » Mon Aug 22, 2005 5:31 pm

Or you could start reading wikipedia;

Roman Empire

And should you get bored enough, you can also read it in latin;

Imperium Romanum

vic_4

Postby vic_4 » Mon Aug 22, 2005 7:29 pm

dreamsoftwilight wrote:And you could also see slaves fleeing to a nearby temple of Diana to find sanctuary. :)

You could have slaves in the game, but just makes them indentured servants, as already suggested.

I agree with PCDania, but its not starting to make me sick, Ive been sick of political correctness for years now. People need to stop worrying about if they are gonna offend someone else by using "the wrong term" for something...

Moreover slaves' rbellions have been important in roman history, so ignore slaves can be a choice, but having them would "correct".

p.s. political correctdess is very often hypocrisy. It is just looking away from an existing situation.

imhotep3147

Postby imhotep3147 » Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:22 pm

Rubicon wrote:Well, it's playing with dynamite to create something that can be construed as "having fun by simulating the enslavement of humans." If someone can get their fifteen minutes of fame by picketing TM and getting their face on Good Morning America, it will happen!

Boy I bet those guys would have a field day with the way I play Stronghold 2 then...... :D :p

I mean honestly....would they prefer I build stocks and racks and boiling oil pits in my backyard and go postal in real life? Really, giving me the option of throwing a peon into a lion's den would go a long way to relieving stress in my daily life....better a cg peon than the real live lady at Taco Bell!!

Rubicon

Postby Rubicon » Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:15 pm

imhotep3147 wrote:....better a cg peon than the real live lady at Taco Bell!!

I guess that would depend on the lady. :eek:

Keith

Postby Keith » Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:20 pm

wodinoneeye wrote:Rome had slaves.
Rome had alot of slaves.
How fictional is their version of Rome going to be.....

About as fictional as their version of ancient Egypt, would be my guess. :)

imhotep3147

Postby imhotep3147 » Tue Aug 23, 2005 12:32 am

Rubicon wrote:I guess that would depend on the lady. :eek:

I asked for a steak soft taco, only steak......I got a regular ground meat soft taco with steak added on top.....I just don't even have the words for these people any more..... :mad:

dreamsoftwilight

Postby dreamsoftwilight » Tue Aug 23, 2005 5:01 am

I dont like Taco Bell, most of the employees are mexican and speak in broken english. And NO I am not stereotyping because its Taco Bell, the ones around here really are mostly mexican staffed. Just like most of the asian restaurants are staffed by Asians - except for Bangkok View, theres a caucasion guy, but I think hes married to the owner... >_>

having some form of slavery in C4 would be interesting... if they can put torture or whatever in Stronghold then I dont see why you cant (have slaves).

Kars-T

Postby Kars-T » Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:46 am

Wheren't Gladiators slaves as well? So there was some slavery in c1-c3 ;)

Basically i would like to see a workforce of slaves from for example conquest in the game because i think its much more realistic and the first thing in my latin book in school i read about was some one talking to his slave...

On the other hand i really don't like games with such a content because i should be able to do inhuman things with the slaves and let them live in poor conditions. Even if this is true for ancient societys i really wouldn't like todo such things. And the games could be easily get a none children rating if we could kill or let starve our slaves...

Call to power had slavers and i don`t know how they proceed with slavery.

Civ had slaves in some way as well because if you raze a city you would get workers. I always though "If i disband them now i basically do homocide... -_-"

I plainly vote against slavery in my most beloved City Builders!

The opression of other citys by military force and teh gifts we can demand by this should be enough brutality we can directly do against none military workers.

MarkDuffy

Postby MarkDuffy » Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:27 am

Man-o-man this is a very weird thread. Where's the exit?

arcan

Postby arcan » Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:30 am

so one should not be able to have slaves in the game nor to mistreat them. But what about feeding the fellow citizens to the lions when they protest? :rolleyes:
:D

Return to “Suggestions”