Hail Citizen! I dont believe it's right to speak like a Briton barbarian.

Have suggestions for Caesar IV? Post 'em here!
Acamas

Hail Citizen! I dont believe it's right to speak like a Briton barbarian.

Postby Acamas » Fri Aug 26, 2005 4:07 am

Forgive me if this has been mentioned before. In Caesar 3, all of the citizens talked liked Englishmen, even Caesar himself! I really hope in Caesar 4 will have real Italian accents, of even American accents because I believe this is going to be made in the US, not Britain and no one in Rome had British accents.

Keith

Postby Keith » Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:00 am

Acamas wrote:Forgive me if this has been mentioned before. In Caesar 3, all of the citizens talked liked Englishmen, even Caesar himself! I really hope in Caesar 4 will have real Italian accents, of even American accents because I believe this is going to be made in the US, not Britain and no one in Rome had British accents.

The Romans weren't Italian, at least not as we think of Italians nowadays. So Italian accents are just as "wrong" as any other. They considered themselves Latin. "Latin" back then is not the same as the term "Latin" today, where it has come to represent Hispanic peoples.

I'd personally rather have an English accent over most other types possible. It's that darn Shakespearean influence, most people have seen Julius Caesar and other plays and films and it's pretty much come to be the default albeit substitute accent for Romans.

Believe me, Italian accents would be odd to the ear. I have a copy of the 1937 Fascist Italy film production classic "Scipio Africanus: The Defeat of Hannibal," and seeing men dressed as Romans speaking Italian (with english subtitles, of course) is just "wrong" sounding to English speaking peoples' collective ear and not the same as those smooth English accents.

Ziffer

Postby Ziffer » Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:34 am

I hope they will speak English (English and Latin words are similar) but without English accent, as a foreigner (i.e. from Germany or Russia) speaks English.

prof786

Postby prof786 » Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:49 am

or they could have a character talking in latin with an invisible english translator. the character talks in latin for a little bit then the translation kicks in...

Ziffer

Postby Ziffer » Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:59 am

And better they can speak Latin and English (user define).

vic_4

Postby vic_4 » Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:36 am

In italian it would be funny if they speak in roman dialect.

Keith

Postby Keith » Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:45 am

I'm pretty certain that the English language of the game will be in English with perhaps a sprinkling of a word or two or a phrase in Latin, but having a fullblown Latin set of sound files probably isn't in the plan.

As for not speaking with English accents but more like a foreigner speaking English, i.e., Germans and Russians, I was always told by my old German teacher that they teach British English in Germany. As and American listening to Germans speak English, I can see the British influences in the English they have learned.

To the American ear, properly spoken British English is very regal sounding and fits well with the impressions we have about the Roman Empire.

Christbowel

Postby Christbowel » Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:04 am

For my part, Iam American, and iam also French, and when I see a peplum movie... forgive me... BUT ... watching an emperor talking English language; its still remain strange, weird, or I don't know. In my mind, it's always like "wait a minute, this is not even possible !" :)

When they talk french, as for french translation of the given movie, this sounds better, as I understand french, but also french is made with a very high rate of LATIN word ! :) (as english too I know) But french owe is language to the Latin basis, it is nearer.
Not to make national preference, its just an observation :)

Keith

Postby Keith » Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:12 am

Christbowel wrote:For my part, Iam American, and iam also French, and when I see a peplum movie... forgive me... BUT ... watching an emperor talking English language; its still remain strange, weird, or I don't know. In my mind, it's always like "wait a minute, this is not even possible !" :)

When they talk french, as for french translation of the given movie, this sounds better, as I understand french, but also french is made with a very high rate of LATIN word ! :) (as english too I know) But french owe is language to the Latin basis, it is nearer.
Not to make national preference, its just an observation :)

As a english speaker, seeing a Roman emperor speak french would be just as a strange. ;)

catgoddess83

Voices.

Postby catgoddess83 » Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:52 am

Hey!

Actually some of the characters I've clicked on in C III sound like Aussies, not Brits which made me laugh. :D
Seriously, do they hire people to "do the voices"? Or, do they ask people that work for the game company? I always thought that the Achilles in Zeus /Poseidon had a great voice.(meow!) I also thought that some of the voices in CoTN sounded familiar.

Cat

Thucydides

accents

Postby Thucydides » Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:40 pm

If they were sensible and had good taste of course they would use Australians for the voices ;)

Ziffer

Postby Ziffer » Fri Aug 26, 2005 1:17 pm

Ancient Roman speaking with English accent looks strange, especially in nonenglish-speaking countries. So I think the best way is if they will speak English words pronouncing all letteRs (including "r") as they did in reallity.

dreamsoftwilight

Postby dreamsoftwilight » Fri Aug 26, 2005 2:28 pm

Im sure if there were still native Latin speakers they would all have an accent of their own... so what we need to do is get some people to learn Latin, develop a latin accent, and then start speaking English again! hehe

maucat

Postby maucat » Fri Aug 26, 2005 3:40 pm

We could ask Charlton Heston to come out of retirement to do the voices. It would lend a certain je ne sais quoi to the game ;)

dreamsoftwilight

Postby dreamsoftwilight » Fri Aug 26, 2005 4:30 pm

lol right... since he was Moses and all. Good one. ^_^

Keith

Postby Keith » Fri Aug 26, 2005 6:00 pm

I'm afraid good old Chuck wouldn't be able to do it suffering from Alzheimer's and all.

I'd say English accents for english speaking copies, and local language for the localized copies of German, French, Spanish and Italian....that's if audio files are created for those copies. I doubt if VUG would foot the bill for a Latin version.

Maybe they can hire back the guy that sounds like Patrick Stewart (Star Trek Next Generation,) if it wasn't really him, from Caesar II! ;)

Christbowel

Postby Christbowel » Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:14 pm

Eheh Keith, your reponse was predicteble, as it was as simple as you answered thanks to my point of view. But admit that french is nearer :)
(joke) ;)

sitearm

Britain associated with Rome in the popular American mind...

Postby sitearm » Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:25 pm

My (uninformed) theory on this is that ancient Rome is most associated with Britain in the popular (American) mind because Britain:
  • had (and lost) an Empire like Rome
  • had a big emphasis on learning Latin (in public schools)
  • had Shakespeare who popularized Rome through plays like Julius Caesar, Antony and Cleopatra, and Titus Andronicus
Even in Harry Potter (the film) the characters recite magic spells that are (or sound like) Latin.

Acamas wrote:... In Caesar 3, all of the citizens talked liked Englishmen, even Caesar himself...

Acamas

Postby Acamas » Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:28 pm

The Romans weren't Italian, at least not as we think of Italians nowadays. So Italian accents are just as "wrong" as any other. They considered themselves Latin. "Latin" back then is not the same as the term "Latin" today, where it has come to represent Hispanic peoples.

I'd personally rather have an English accent over most other types possible. It's that darn Shakespearean influence, most people have seen Julius Caesar and other plays and films and it's pretty much come to be the default albeit substitute accent for Romans.

Believe me, Italian accents would be odd to the ear. I have a copy of the 1937 Fascist Italy film production classic "Scipio Africanus: The Defeat of Hannibal," and seeing men dressed as Romans speaking Italian (with english subtitles, of course) is just "wrong" sounding to English speaking peoples' collective ear and not the same as those smooth English accents.

So? Italians still have Roman accents, it really didin't change, their language hasn't changed much either from latin to Italian. The English were also invaded by a lot of civilizations and they still keep the same accent they have had 3000 years ago. I wouldn't be surprised if the Egyption accent hasn't changed either. It truely is insulting to make Roman voices into English accents when they never talked like that at all! Venice was one of the few city states that were not invaded and raided by the German barbarians during the fall of Rome, their accent has not changed either along with the rest of Italy.

Thucydides

accents

Postby Thucydides » Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:39 pm

Accents would certainly have changed in the 1500 years since the end of the Roman Empire in the West. The Saxon and Germanic tribes moving into the Western part of the old Empire changed latin into French, Spanish, Italian, etc. In Britain, latin was extinguished all together. The British romanticisation of Rome does not reflect the historical reality that the Roman influence was largely overwhelmed by the Anglo/Sax/Jute invasions. If there was anywhere in Britain where the Roman influenced lingered it was ironically with the celtic tribes pushed into Cornwall, Wales and Brittany. I would have thought it impossible to correctly recreate today what a Roman Latin accent would have sounded like. So the debate over authenticity seems rather a non-issue. I suspect the real matter here is that non-native English speakers would prefer the game to be spoken in their own tongue. :) Robert

Return to “Suggestions”