Night and day

Have suggestions for Caesar IV? Post 'em here!
Acamas

Night and day

Postby Acamas » Sat Aug 27, 2005 6:39 pm

In COTN, the shift from night and day was too constant, every few minutes the day would change and I truly didn’t like that at all. The night and day shift should be every 30 minutes in Caesar IV, to an hour and the night periods should be no more than 10 minutes so it would feel more realistic and less annoying. Sure, the months would change during the day but I don’t mind that. It's pretty uncomfortable to build a Roman city with such a dark atmosphere; I like a bright atmosphere most of the time to build my city.

Dog of the Sun

Postby Dog of the Sun » Sat Aug 27, 2005 6:42 pm

You can edit the game speed to you know, I know theres a megaloth 5.0 speed but I don't know the minimum,, so i like it just the way it is,,,,,,,, USE + and -.

MarkDuffy

Postby MarkDuffy » Sat Aug 27, 2005 6:54 pm

To have realism, day & night would be equal.

I had no trouble with night. My game required no changes to be able to see.

Love the stars & moon also.

Keep it.

Keith

Postby Keith » Sat Aug 27, 2005 7:15 pm

I didn't have a problem with the day night cycles of CotN either. I run my copy of CotN at the 5x speed I edited into its config file nearly full time and the day/night shift didn't seem to occur unnaturally quick even at that accelerated speed.

One thought is that maybe the devs could included a OPTION to disable the day/night shift lighting effects for those that want to play that way, which be more like Caesar III where it was light all the time. However, the characters would still behave as if it were night and go to their homes, etc.

reachrishikh

Postby reachrishikh » Sat Aug 27, 2005 7:37 pm

Man ! You really had stuff like day and night and people going to their homes at night in cotn ? Then I've gotta check it out !

But, as Acamas pointed out above, did the months change during the daytime in cotn ? Because if they did, then there's no sense in adding the day/night feature to the game, because there's no realism left there. And if you do add the feature, with the months changing at their normal time, then the game becomes too slow, or the day/night will keep changing constantly, to keep up the gameplay speed.

MarkDuffy

Postby MarkDuffy » Sat Aug 27, 2005 9:31 pm

One day equals one season in COTN. We have a daily AM, then PM clock. 24 hours.

The three seasons = one year. No months.

Peret ~ Planting
Shemu ~ Harvest
Akhet ~ Inundation (Flood)

Dog of the Sun

Postby Dog of the Sun » Sat Aug 27, 2005 11:04 pm

MarkDuffy wrote:One day equals one season in COTN. We have a daily AM, then PM clock. 24 hours.

The three seasons = one year. No months.

Peret ~ Planting
Shemu ~ Harvest
Akhet ~ Inundation (Flood)

Yes there weren't any months to blab about back then, surviving and living a daily life was important

Aumtehoutep

ick ...

Postby Aumtehoutep » Sun Aug 28, 2005 12:57 am

if you make the day/night change literal to the timeframe of the citizens in your city then all you as a player see is a nearly constant flicker of twilight ... that's no good at all
==
Disclaimer: All opinions expressed above are correct, and should not be disputed as they emanate from one who is Righteous and devoid of fault.

Acamas

Postby Acamas » Sun Aug 28, 2005 4:01 am

I don't mind the night and day idea, but it just went too fast in COTN and I really didin't like it. Couldn't you set it up so that the night and day periods are longer?

Keith

Postby Keith » Sun Aug 28, 2005 9:24 am

Acamas wrote:I don't mind the night and day idea, but it just went too fast in COTN and I really didin't like it. Couldn't you set it up so that the night and day periods are longer?

Well, I don't think anyone is going to be happy about sitting there for the suggested 1 hour of darkness mentioned above with very little or nothing going on in their cities.

What's the point of sitting there for the suggested hour looking at a semi-dark screen with virtually no activity happening?

I think that CotN's night period was just about right for the average player. A little longer night period wouldn't be too bad but certainly not an hour's worth!

Ziffer

Seasons shift

Postby Ziffer » Sun Aug 28, 2005 3:15 pm

And I want also shift of summer, winter (some snow may be, but it would be short, at least shorter than summer), and may be autumn and spring.

Duration of seasons can depend on location of the city.

And if there will be seasons, day duration would be longer in summer and shorter in winter.
Last edited by Ziffer on Sun Aug 28, 2005 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jayl

Postby Jayl » Sun Aug 28, 2005 3:40 pm

And I want also shift of summer, winter (some snow may be, but it should be short, at least shorter than summer), and may be autumn and spring.

I agree, the seasons to me are more important than night and day. The transitions of the seasons should be slowed down a little. Also show the transitions of the seasons besides the change of the months on the bar or the taking in of crops. During winter and fall have the leaves fall out of trees, have snow fall. During summer, maybe a new disaster could be the heat wave. It could kill crops and kill some citizens from heat stroke. Already mentioned this, but during winter maybe snow storms or landslides.

Kiya

Postby Kiya » Sun Aug 28, 2005 3:43 pm

Ziffer wrote:And I want also shift of summer, winter (some snow may be, but it should be short, at least shorter than summer), and may be autumn and spring.

Duration of seasons can depend on location of the city.

And if there will be seasons, day duration should be longer in summer and shorter in winter.

I love variety and therefore I love winter and snow too. But I am glad (for a number of reasons) that the Romans never entered this corner of the world because, if your wish will come true, a northern city would mostly be in dim daylight or darkness. You know what the Moscow winters are like and it's even worse here (gamewise I mean). ;) :D
Last edited by Kiya on Sun Aug 28, 2005 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

reachrishikh

Postby reachrishikh » Sun Aug 28, 2005 6:43 pm

Say, when does 'Fall' fall anyway ?
Please pardon me, but here in India, we have only the summer, winter and rainy seasons. We do not have anything such as Autumn, spring or fall.

Jayl

Postby Jayl » Sun Aug 28, 2005 6:51 pm

Say, when does 'Fall' fall anyway ?
Please pardon me, but here in India, we have only the summer, winter and rainy seasons. We do not have anything such as Autumn, spring or fall.

Well in North America between late August and Novemeber. But here in south Georgia, we have about the same weather as you. When it isn't in the 90s it is in the 30s or it is either like a desert or like a monsoon, such as now with the hurricane.

Amris

Postby Amris » Sun Aug 28, 2005 7:16 pm

reachrishikh wrote:Say, when does 'Fall' fall anyway ?

Spring, Summer, Fall/Autumn, winter.

In the spring, flowers bloom, life begins. Calves, foals, animals of many kinds are born. Bears, hibernatory creatures, emerge from their long sleep. Buds appear on trees again, the stirrings of the return to wakeful life. The birds who migrated to warn climates pack up and head home, north to their primary lands. The rains are plentiful, crops are planted. Life begins anew in this season.

Then comes the summer. Heat rolls in, less rain comes. The crops grow and thrive. Young animals grow, birds are hatched, life slows down from the first emerging signs that spring brought. The trees are clothed in their green foliage, and all life seeks the cooler areas. Waterholes and pools become popular haunts. Bugs come out to visit in force. The days become longer, and children are let out of school.

After the summer, the days begin to shorten. The autumn air grows cooler. Trees begin to turn gold, red, orange, even yellow. Harvests begin, or are just ending. Sweaters start making their way out of storage and back into closets. School shopping begins, and soon yellow buses begin appearing at kerbs. The migratory birds begin fleeing to warmer climates as the world warns them that snow is on the way.

By the end of Autumn, the trees stand stark, barren, and naked. Fields lie fallow, and the creatures of the world sport thick, warm coats. White flakes of ice fall from the sky, and frost rimes the windows. Sweaters are covered with coats, and boots cover feet. The days are short and cold, the nights long, and colder.

Spring= begins March 20
Summer= begins June 21
Autumn= begins September 22
Winter= begins December 21

imhotep3147

Postby imhotep3147 » Sun Aug 28, 2005 8:40 pm

As for the day/night thing....I can take it or leave it....but perhaps just including the option to turn it off would be the best for both sides?

Ziffer

Postby Ziffer » Sun Aug 28, 2005 8:52 pm

Of course. As it was in SimCity4.

Acamas

Postby Acamas » Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:58 pm

Well, I don't think anyone is going to be happy about sitting there for the suggested 1 hour of darkness mentioned above with very little or nothing going on in their cities.

What's the point of sitting there for the suggested hour looking at a semi-dark screen with virtually no activity happening?

I think that CotN's night period was just about right for the average player. A little longer night period wouldn't be too bad but certainly not an hour's worth!

Nights could be 5 minutes for all I care, maybe not an hour. The daytime however should span at least 20 minutes or even longer!

CaitGrey

Postby CaitGrey » Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:58 pm

Ooohhhh ... a switch to toggle the day and night routine on and off !!!
Yes please!
This is one of the things I definitely do not like in COtN.
The sequence is ssssooooo unreal when every season consists of just one day and one night only.
In present day Egypt, days start at around 6 am and last till around 6 pm, sun glaring full strength all day every day. No seasons to speak of, just fairly warm in winter to blazing hot in summer.
So I'll opt for "off" (even tho the visual effects are nice).
As a right bloody minded Pharaoh, I want to be able to see what my folks are up to at all times of the day or night! And if that makes them unhappy, I'll hand out sunglasses when they've had enough of the spotlights! :D

Return to “Suggestions”