Caesar IV Editor Cheat Code Disabler Function

Have suggestions for Caesar IV? Post 'em here!
Keith

Caesar IV Editor Cheat Code Disabler Function

Postby Keith » Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:04 am

For the sake of those that construct maps for contests and the like, I think it would be an outstanding if the editor had a option to disable any in-game cheat codes Caesar IV may have come with. This could be in the form of some encoded byte in the SCN flle that is read by the game when loading and thus turns off the cheat code mode for that scenario.

I think that is better than the "You cheated....", or similar message on the victory screen.

Jacquou Le

Postby Jacquou Le » Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:25 am

Also an option to lock a user created scenario/map as Stronghold (or SH Crusader, I don't remember) has. With this way, no one can alter custom ones created by players.

Bugsy

Postby Bugsy » Sat Apr 29, 2006 10:19 pm

I can easily see how a "You cheated" could be edited out in Paint Shop Pro or something by a skilled person, so I'm with you on this Keith, a lock for the cheats would be great for the contest sites. A scenario lock is an interesting idea, and one I had never really thought of, but also a very good idea. Could keep people from re-enabling cheats that had been locked. Sad though, that people would cheat on a contest to begin with. :cool:

King Faticus

Postby King Faticus » Sun Apr 30, 2006 3:18 pm

I agree, It was too easy to get away with "it" before... and so it should be disabled in the scenario maker.

MarkDuffy

Postby MarkDuffy » Sun Apr 30, 2006 3:32 pm

It kinda sounds like 6 of one, half dozen of the other. We would still need some type of message on the Victory Screen that says cheats were turned off, or we would never know.

Personally, I like the way TM did it in COTN. You get a clean Victory Screen w/o cheats.

What I would like, however, is something like a Victory Screen for sandboxes. A simple city update screen, also showing if cheats were used. You would also be able to get this simple screen in scenarios with goals, & it would be replaced by the Victory Screen at actual Victory. Updated Victory Screen during Contuing Play that also shows the date of actual victory.

Believe it or not, I do not want to prevent people from cheating, I just wanna know it when they do.

Players should be able to play & enjoy ANY scenario, even contest scenarios, in their own way. Submitted entries should just have the appropriate disclaimer attached.

This disclaimer should also include things like whether or not God Effects are turned on/off. ;)
Last edited by MarkDuffy on Sun Apr 30, 2006 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MarkDuffy

Postby MarkDuffy » Sun Apr 30, 2006 4:08 pm

Perhaps I was not clear, Phil. The disclaimer is on the Victory Screen or Sandbox City Update Screen.

If Keith's option is used, then the appropriate screen would say "cheats disabled".
Last edited by MarkDuffy on Sun Apr 30, 2006 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wodinoneeye

Postby wodinoneeye » Mon May 01, 2006 9:39 am

Keith wrote:For the sake of those that construct maps for contests and the like, I think it would be an outstanding if the editor had a option to disable any in-game cheat codes Caesar IV may have come with. This could be in the form of some encoded byte in the SCN flle that is read by the game when loading and thus turns off the cheat code mode for that scenario.

I think that is better than the "You cheated....", or similar message on the victory screen.

Unfortunately, hacking the scenario file to deactivate the block would be pretty easy unless they (TM) does alot of clever stuff in the file (more work than you are likely to get out of them).

I doubt there will be much reason to have 'contests' playing a scenario.

wodinoneeye

Postby wodinoneeye » Mon May 01, 2006 9:40 am

Phil Walker wrote:While I never use cheats myself, I have to agree with Mark. Save ONE premise. Not a disclaimer for contest (although it could also be included), but as Mark did say, SHOWN on the victory screen and if you cheated your contest entry is disqualified. Victory screen shown with all entries! All else I'm with ya, Mark :D !!!

Sincerely,
Phil

Photoshop gets around that.....

King Faticus

Postby King Faticus » Mon May 01, 2006 12:27 pm

wodinoneeye wrote:Photoshop gets around that.....

Gimp can do it easily too ;)

Keith

Postby Keith » Mon May 01, 2006 9:30 pm

wodinoneeye wrote:Unfortunately, hacking the scenario file to deactivate the block would be pretty easy unless they (TM) does alot of clever stuff in the file (more work than you are likely to get out of them).

I doubt there will be much reason to have 'contests' playing a scenario.

That's why I said the byte (not bit) should be encoded. They would first have to hack through the encoding then figure out which bits to change. Rather than just a single bit there would be multiple bits. It should be made more difficult to do than simply changing a 1 to a 0.

ehabseidah

Postby ehabseidah » Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:26 pm

Thankssssssssssssssssssss

Return to “Suggestions”