more and greener

Have suggestions for Caesar IV? Post 'em here!
King Faticus

more and greener

Postby King Faticus » Mon May 22, 2006 7:10 pm

Treeeeeeeeeees :eek:

To put it in english I really want alot more plants and trees than in cotn. I love the way the screenshots look But I noticed most of the little trees look brown
and It doesn't look like you will be able to plant large trees for shade :(

And so I would like to see more trees and greener trees :)

ps I would also like to see more of the "other" decorative Items
and more road types too :D

floofthegoof

Postby floofthegoof » Mon May 22, 2006 7:25 pm

C3 was very nice with the trees. I loved how in the map editor the trees go bigger and older looking depending on the density of the surrounding forest.

Need_Help

Postby Need_Help » Tue May 23, 2006 2:38 am

The trees in C4 is not enough but if you see at most 3D games that the trees also not many because maybe more trees will effect the game speed and maybe we will lag on lower spec computer.C4 looks like playing in the desert and not like C3.

Keith

Postby Keith » Tue May 23, 2006 2:41 am

We are supposed to be able to build cities in all regions of the Empire so I'm guessing we will see more trees in the northern provinces.

Need_Help

Postby Need_Help » Tue May 23, 2006 2:45 am

But all the screenshots look like not many trees and can't see any big forest.Hope it is like C3 and I want to know, can we have the terrain option(just like make a hill, pond...)??I think most probably we don't have it but if it is, then it is good and very useful if the city is build on hill area.

Hibernian

Postby Hibernian » Tue May 23, 2006 10:46 am

It probably depends on whether or not trees are a depletable resource. I think this was brought up before in another thread, I'll try and find it...

If timber is still nessesary for furniture making, shipbuilding and export as they it was in C3, then the ability to plant trees would have obvious implications. Fitting your factories around your available trees was a strategic element in C3. For that to be missing in C4 would be a step back I think. I would have it so that trees were plantable, but only as saplings which would then mature over time. I think this would be an added strategic element and would also make your city look more mature also as the years go by.
Last edited by Hibernian on Tue May 23, 2006 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

King Faticus

Postby King Faticus » Tue May 23, 2006 1:36 pm

I meant that there needs to be more placeable trees like the ones from cotn only with planters.

Hibernian

Postby Hibernian » Tue May 23, 2006 1:43 pm

For decorative purposes only then? Sounds good to me. I'd still like to see them grow over time though (I'd also like to see some ivy, but who am I kidding?).

King Faticus

Postby King Faticus » Tue May 23, 2006 1:48 pm

I wouldn't mind seeing larger forests myself and IF they grew the map would feel more alive. I think the natural forests look green enough, It is the trees that are placed either with buildings or as decorations that look brown :(
and they arent big enough.
Ill look for a few screenshots.

Edit: not all the trees look brown but a few do... look on the right
Edit2: since the pictures are (for some retarded raeson) cropped I have to link to a mini...
I want to be able to place large green trees like the one on the bottom left
Last edited by King Faticus on Tue May 23, 2006 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MarkDuffy

Postby MarkDuffy » Tue May 23, 2006 7:59 pm

I'm not a programmer any more, King, but I would assume that a tree tile uses up computer time & can lead to lag. I suppose scenarios can have more trees & better trees with mods?

Using the C4 Editor also?

I would like gorgeous forests also in scenarios, not just to chop but definitely to chop!

Here's my favorite tree! I threw in another just to show what is possible with C4 as it is now.

The trees that come with buildings & beautification items are lame in the images. I hope they get improved before release.

:)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

King Faticus

Postby King Faticus » Tue May 23, 2006 8:02 pm

MarkDuffy wrote:The trees that come with buildings & beautification items are lame in the images. I hope they get improved before release.

THIS is what Im talking about THANK YOU :D :)

as I said before I don't care about the forests, to me they look fine... a bit thin but fine ;)

Keith

Postby Keith » Tue May 23, 2006 8:03 pm

I'm guessing that trees are a low priority item right now. These are early images and the designer of the scenes we are seeing probably didn't spend a lot of time adding in trees for one reason or another.

I hope the editor provides a large array of scenery items.

Need_Help

Postby Need_Help » Wed May 24, 2006 2:20 am

Maybe they don't want to add many trees because they scared that the game will lag???But they should make the trees greener and not brown color.If they can make it change color depends on the weather then it is better.The trees will change color and drop leaves before winter.It is very nice.If I had not mistaken, we can see leaves drop in Age Of Empire 3.It is very nive.

Keith

Postby Keith » Wed May 24, 2006 2:22 am

In one of the new screenshots it looks like leaves have fallen on the street.

Nakia

Postby Nakia » Wed May 24, 2006 8:53 pm

Based on the screen shots shown all I can say is "I like it. Looks good to me."

Do we know if those are placed trees or left over from clearing?

Gads, I don't know if I could ever be a developer, assuming I had the talent and knowledge. Picky people. :p

All I want is the Game. Now!

MarkDuffy

Postby MarkDuffy » Thu May 25, 2006 3:34 am

Keith wrote:I'm guessing that trees are a low priority item right now. These are early images and the designer of the scenes we are seeing probably didn't spend a lot of time adding in trees for one reason or another.

I wonder about this one, Keith.

I have no idea how programming works these days, but it seems to me that they have so much programming space for a building. They can choose to use that space for the building, its insides, the animations, the people attached to the building & whatever, or the trees attached to the building. They have to make choices. I would prefer the building over the trees, but the trees could be better than what I see now. Perhaps not.

But the beautification tiles should be easy.

Perhaps I don't know anything. ;)

Picky, aren't we?

PS ~ The trees look green to me. But, I live in almost a desert. :D
Last edited by MarkDuffy on Thu May 25, 2006 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hibernian

Postby Hibernian » Thu May 25, 2006 6:45 pm

The 'natural' trees (inc. your fav tree MD!) are definately green. The planter trees are browner than can possibly be healthy for any self respecting tree. :)

Keith

Postby Keith » Thu May 25, 2006 7:04 pm

These are screnshots, and as such the color spectrum could be off. So don't just the color too harshly.

Need_Help

Postby Need_Help » Fri May 26, 2006 2:15 am

But we can expect the possibility of anything that will happen when the game released.For example, the trees are brown in color and the reason is, this kind of tree is brown in color.If they need to take care by the engineer to water it then maybe it is better.

Hibernian

Postby Hibernian » Fri May 26, 2006 2:29 pm

I think he'd rather be called a gardener than an engineer N_H! :) Still maybe you're on the right track, it might just be Autumn (Fall) in the pics. We will have snow, after all...

Return to “Suggestions”