Read this thread if you get a "Runtime Error!" dialog when starting the game

For demo technical or performance issues
Keith

Postby Keith » Sat Aug 19, 2006 7:06 pm

Can you give us a screenshot of the error message and full debug of the error message so I can see the error code. See sample below.

If you are getting a 0xc0000005 code, its a access violation error and could mean that you have some problems with memory. Either the demo wasn't able to free memory to use or it was attempting to free memory that was already free. Often this kind of error message can be caused by malware and also by bad RAM.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Keith on Sun Aug 20, 2006 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

catgoddess83

RE: error report

Postby catgoddess83 » Sat Aug 19, 2006 8:17 pm

Keith
I don't know how to send you this. Please tell me and I will do it.

The second screen says offset 0001e48b
Third screen top Exception infor 0xc00005 flags 0x0000000
Record 0x0000000000 Address 0x00000000041e48b
System infor
Windows NT 5.1 Build 2600

BTW before I did start downloading my current demo copy I ran scandisk and defragged.

I don't understand about the memory; you said mine was fine. I did update from 512 to 768 recently

catgoddess83

Success!

Postby catgoddess83 » Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:37 am

Keith
You will be proud to know that I got it to work!!!! Whoo Hooo! :D

After waiting 20 hours today to load<argh>.. I reinstalled the NET things, directx update, and re-engaged my firewalls.

Here's the embarassing part... I noticed that my sierra folder was NOT under program files. :o I never paid attention because all my sierra games played. I moved the sucker to Program files and bada bing bada boom, the demo got unpacked and installed. The first installation went awry but I used the REPAIR function under the uninstall and it worked.
Thank you for all your patience with me and everyone else. I hope you got some rest.
I am NOW going to ROME!
A BIG FAT FURRY KISS to you. Thanks again
CAT

Keith

Postby Keith » Sun Aug 20, 2006 3:55 pm

I'm glad you got it going, catgoddess! Image :D

If you have older Sierra games they installed to the C:\Sierra folder instead of to the C:\Program Files\Folder. The demo installer should let you install to any folder of your choice.

catgoddess83

New Puzzle

Postby catgoddess83 » Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:14 pm

Actually, today I've been trying to get Emperor to work. (while waiting for CIV in Sept.)After I updated with SP2 (on your suggestion). I could never get it to play. I tried with someone over at the technical forums (P.C.Dania) (some weeks ago)but she couldn't help me
Since I had moved my Sierra folder into the Program files, I re-installed it. But for some reason it won't play. I downloaded the patch again but nothing seems to work. There was some sort of report generated but I couldn't give it to anyone as there is no EROMK at Sierra anymore
Guess what? :eek: Since your're my technical guru....... Let me know if you can make anything of it. Please if you have time No rush..... Himself and I will be away for three days for our teeny mini vacation before I have to gird my loins to face teenagers and force English into their reluctant psyches.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Keith

Postby Keith » Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:08 pm

Yes, there are boards for Pharaoh, Zeus, and Emperor. They are in the Sierra Classics > Strategy section of the board. Only Caesar III/IV have their own section.

Emperor should play just fine on your system. I have mine installed in the default C:\Sierra folder and it runs just great.

Did you install the game to the C:\Programs files\Sierra folder or did you just copy the Sierra folder and paste it to the Program Files folder. If you just copied it that's your problem. Uninstall emperor and install it to the place you want via the installer.
Last edited by Keith on Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

catgoddess83

RE: Emperor

Postby catgoddess83 » Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:15 pm

Keith
Since I put the Sierra folder in the Program files; that's where I put the re-install of Emperor. Is that not right???
Cat

Keith

Postby Keith » Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:18 pm

It should work there theoretically. You might want to try using the default C:\Sierra folder instead. Uninstall and try it there.

We should take this to the Emperor board though.

catgoddess83

No Luck

Postby catgoddess83 » Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:53 am

Keith
I spent at least two hours moving all my files for EROMK around then uninstalling. I then installed into program files but it won't work. I actually have to reboot my computer to make the CD rom player open to release the disc. Once the machine reboots, the screen come up, I hit play, and nothing happens. :mad:
If I uninstall and then re-install again, how do I keep it from getting mixed up with the CIV file demo???
I'm learning so much but obviously not enough, huh? :o
Cat

BTW It didn't work either right after I installed SP2

Keith

Postby Keith » Mon Aug 21, 2006 4:36 pm

Catgoddess, please take this over to the Emperor board, so we are not off topic here.

Coyox

Also problem with runing the demo

Postby Coyox » Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:17 pm

I receive a message that says:
Unhandled exception: n/a
Type: (some chinese simbols)
File: C://TMill/Source/Engine/D3DDeviceManager.cpp
Function: TMill::Engine: :D 3D: :D eviceManager::ChangeDevice
Line: 338

I feel kind of dissapointed about not being able to try the game. Any chance you guys can help me out? :o
Thanks
:eek:

Keith

Postby Keith » Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:42 am

Coyox wrote:I receive a message that says:

I feel kind of dissapointed about not being able to try the game. Any chance you guys can help me out? :o
Thanks

Card name: Intel(R) 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family

There's your problem. The Intel is a chipset on the motherboard and not a stand alone video card. Unfortunately, it does not support the graphic features used in the game.

You can buy a DX9 compliant video card and use it instead. You will have to disable the onboard chipset from the BIOS settings on your system to use a different video card.

l3illyl3ob

Postby l3illyl3ob » Fri Aug 25, 2006 6:25 pm

Cerebus451 wrote:This is primary directed at vonSchleicher and anyone
If you are getting the same permission error that vonSchleicher was getting when running RegisterDLL.bat, check the permissions on key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Record in regedit. If that doesn't do it, you will probably have to run Regmon to track down which key in your registry is FUBAR.

Thank you so much. This got it working, but I get the same securom error that you and vonSchleicher got afterwards, they probably don't like you messing around with the registry too much. I'm glad I got it fixed (it was the record entry for me too) anyways, I'll mess around a little more to see if I can get it running fully.

Keith

Postby Keith » Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:28 pm

l3illyl3ob wrote:Thank you so much. This got it working, but I get the same securom error that you and vonSchleicher got afterwards, they probably don't like you messing around with the registry too much. I'm glad I got it fixed (it was the record entry for me too) anyways, I'll mess around a little more to see if I can get it running fully.

If you continue to get Securom warnings be sure to send a AnalysisLog.sr0 file to support@securom.com with a full description of what you have done and the resulting securom issue. They may be able to help you.

To create that file run the Launch Analysis option on the right click menu of the Caesar IV desktop icon or the .exe file.

Asterix~

Postby Asterix~ » Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:23 am

Coyox wrote:I receive a message that says:

Thanks

I get exactly the same message, but I am running a notebook. Any chance I can run the game?

Keith

Postby Keith » Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:04 am

You'll need to post your dxdiag.txt file before we can tell.

Asterix~

Postby Asterix~ » Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:54 pm

Keith

Postby Keith » Sat Sep 02, 2006 12:38 am

Asterix, the Intel chipset running on your system is not sufficient to run the graphic features of the game. It doesn't support Transform & Lighting (T&L).

Kosta34

this my dxdial

Postby Kosta34 » Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:45 pm

please help me make this demo work!!!!

Keith

Postby Keith » Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:31 pm

What is the problem you are having? Until you tell us what the problem is all we can do is guess.

The video card is more than sufficient and the video drivers are fine.

You may want to free up more space on your C: drive if that is where you have the demo installed. It requires a minimum of 2.0GB you have 2.3GB and that may not be enough.

Try a lower screen resolutoin at 1024x768 60Hz and see if that helps any.

Return to “Community Technical Support (Demo)”