Can't even begin to get the game to load.

For demo technical or performance issues
TrickyD119

Can't even begin to get the game to load.

Postby TrickyD119 » Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:36 am

Every time I double click the executable it triggers a "Send Error Report" and the game never loads.

I tried the RegisterDLL.bat thing, no dice.

Tried running MSConfig and shutting off everything including AV Program, no dice.

Tried it in Safe Mode got a different error and again, no dice.

I've run the install on the most recently released nVidia drivers and what I believe is the most recent compatible audio drivers as well.

I've included the "Send Error Report" log, a capture of the error I received in Safe Mode and the dxdiag.txt information.

Any help would sure be appreciated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Kobra2006

Postby Kobra2006 » Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:04 am

You and many other people.. My error is;

"Unable to register COM interop. Message:Requested registry access not allowed." The game then crashes, and I get the runtime error and that previous error simultaneously when trying to boot the game again, preventing it from starting.

TrickyD119

Postby TrickyD119 » Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:18 am

Hopefully the Caesar braintrust gets a handle on this soon. I'd definitely like to get a feel for this game from the demo.

Anya

Postby Anya » Thu Aug 17, 2006 5:04 am

The demo won't install for me either :confused: I get as far as Data\graphics\Models\c4_apron_med_10.GR2. I was hoping it would be trouble free, on my relatively new (March) computer. Everything else has worked!
I had to go get the .net framework for this. Spent half an hour downloading the demo, which is a very long time when you have cable. So long in fact that my next move is to re download the demo in case it got corrupted in the long download, or in the transfer between this computer and my new-not-on-the-internet one.
"Sigh" Wish me luck folks :)

Manni

Postby Manni » Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:16 am

Anya wrote:The demo won't install for me either :confused: I get as far as Data\graphics\Models\c4_apron_med_10.GR2. I was hoping it would be trouble free, on my relatively new (March) computer. Everything else has worked!
I had to go get the .net framework for this. Spent half an hour downloading the demo, which is a very long time when you have cable. So long in fact that my next move is to re download the demo in case it got corrupted in the long download, or in the transfer between this computer and my new-not-on-the-internet one.
"Sigh" Wish me luck folks :)

Hello Anya,

Don`t get confused..,,,,,.just be patient by installing the demo. This demo "does take its time" to install. The same happened to me. It got as fas as.........and then 1 minute nothing, but then it moved on, so just you try again and sit & wait.
Please also install that directX which is within the demo and ask you to be installed at the end.
All in all the install lasts about 5 to 6 minutes.

Manni

Postby Manni » Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:22 am

Kobra2006 wrote:You and many other people.. My error is;

"Unable to register COM interop. Message:Requested registry access not allowed." The game then crashes, and I get the runtime error and that previous error simultaneously when trying to boot the game again, preventing it from starting.

Hello Kobra,

did you try the "RegisterDLL.bat" ?

In some cases, this can be fixed by double-clicking the file "RegisterDLL.bat", located in the same folder as the executable (by default, C:\Program Files\Sierra\Caesar IV Demo).

After doùble-clickin the file a small black window will be opened (no panic!) and "things will be written in there". Close the window when you read : just touch any letter on the keyboard....and you are done.

Now try the demo again please!

TrickyD119

Postby TrickyD119 » Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:09 pm

Anyone got anything for my issue yet? The above replies don't apply to my situation.

benteln

Postby benteln » Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:49 pm

TrickyD119 wrote:Anyone got anything for my issue yet? The above replies don't apply to my situation.

I got exactly the same error message as you. Used many our last night to make it work, but nothing helped. It's really anoying!

Keith

Postby Keith » Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:29 pm

TrickyD119 wrote:Anyone got anything for my issue yet? The above replies don't apply to my situation.

Did you install the DX9 that came with the demo. That version or higher is required.

You may want to try uninstall the demo, reinstall and make sure it runs the DX9 it comes with. If it doesn't offer you the chance, you can download the 08/08/2006 version of DX9 from Microsoft, which should probably be newer than the one in the demo.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/directx/default.mspx

TrickyD119

Postby TrickyD119 » Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:47 pm

Keith wrote:Did you install the DX9 that came with the demo. That version or higher is required.

You may want to try uninstall the demo, reinstall and make sure it runs the DX9 it comes with. If it doesn't offer you the chance, you can download the 08/08/2006 version of DX9 from Microsoft, which should probably be newer than the one in the demo.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/directx/default.mspx

I appreciate the reply Keith, but actually I've already tried both scenarios and no luck.

I installed the version that came with it in the initial install, but had no luck. I then went to the same link as you provided and downloaded the most recent version and still had no luck.

I don't have any idea what left to try on my end.

avidreaderc

Postby avidreaderc » Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:56 pm

TrickyD119 wrote:I appreciate the reply Keith, but actually I've already tried both scenarios and no luck.

I installed the version that came with it in the initial install, but had no luck. I then went to the same link as you provided and downloaded the most recent version and still had no luck.

I don't have any idea what left to try on my end.

I had the same error message when I installed the game on my Dell Laptop. I get unhandled exception error Line 338 or something. What I did to get it working was a program called 3D-Analyze.You can download it here http://www.3dfxzone.it/dir/tools/3d_analyze/. I checked the boxes force SW TNL and emulate HW TNL Caps. The game runs and loads fine except for the net frame error that has already been addressed in a couple other post. I played for several hours yesterday and today. I figured it as a just a way to play it on the move so I am not tied to my desktop. I hope this helps.

Keith

Postby Keith » Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:00 pm

Ok, so your laptop didn't support hardware Transform & Lighting (T&L) effects. Something the game requires. The software emulation fixed that.

Glad you found a workaround. :)

maucat

Postby maucat » Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:31 pm

I'm also getting the same error message as you TrickyD119. I'll try avidreaderc 's fix and see if I can get it to run. :(

TrickyD119

Postby TrickyD119 » Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:46 am

The 3D-Analyze program, at least with the settings recommend, was of no help to me unfortunately, but thank you for the suggestion.

I have now updated my audio drivers, uninstalled the program again, loaded the newest version of directX, again, and still no dice. Same exact error as offered in the first post.

Anyone have any ideas left to offer? I'm about to give up on this game I think.

TrickyD119

Postby TrickyD119 » Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:47 am

Also remember, I'm only getting that 'exception' error in safe mode, I get nowhere other than a "Send Error Report" when I try to run it in regular XP mode.

ramses III

Same unhandled exception error.

Postby ramses III » Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:52 am

I as well am still getting the same error. This is so weird. Any ideas?

zoombot

I had the same problem

Postby zoombot » Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:18 pm

I had the same problem... would immediately show the send error report to microsoft dialog. After much messing around with latest drivers and whatnot, I completely uninstalled my anti-virus program and it immediately started working. I was using the free version of the karposky labs stuff, active virus shield. Temporarily disabling it wasn't enough, it had to be completely uninstalled.

I downloaded google pack to get the free version of norton av, and that doesn't interfere at all.

I noticed when AVS installed, it overwrote some system files like kernel32.dll, and I thought that might cause trouble...

TrickyD119

Postby TrickyD119 » Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:54 am

Wait, your AV was Kaspersky AV 6.0?

Well I'll be damn, that is the same anti-virus program I am using.

Can anyone even begin to think of a workaround for this outside of uninstalling it? I shelled out good money for that AV and really don't want to stop using it for a demo.

I've tried it with it turned off, but no dice there.

TrickyD119

Postby TrickyD119 » Sat Aug 19, 2006 3:41 am

Yep that did it, uninstalled Kaspersky Anti Virus 6.0 and it booted right up with no issues.

Marius

Postby Marius » Sat Aug 19, 2006 8:33 am

Last edited by Marius on Sat Aug 19, 2006 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Community Technical Support (Demo)”