Can't even begin to get the game to load.

For demo technical or performance issues
Nasurin

Postby Nasurin » Wed Aug 23, 2006 3:09 pm

I have the "Unable to COM Interlop, Requested Registry access is not allowed", but I am not using Kasperspy...

Keith

Postby Keith » Wed Aug 23, 2006 3:26 pm

You probably have registry problems. There have been instances where the registry is denying access even to System Administrators.

I can usually be fixed by a fresh reinstall of Windows or by means of a registry utility mentioned in the thread below on the Sierra Caesar IV Technical Support board sticky thread, where I posted one solution.

Sticky: Com interop error??

Two people that had problems with the Interop error fixed their problems by each of the two methods I have mentioned here.

dvcasson

Interop what?

Postby dvcasson » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:42 am

Hi, Keith,

I think you must have heard this question a million times by now, and I'm sorry to ask it of you again, but I've been hunting for an answer for a couple of hours already and I can't seem to find a solution the problem. (The things we'll do to enjoy a couple of hours playing a game!)

So of course I'm trying to play the Caesar IV demo. Downloaded and installed it just fine. DirectX updated during the installation.

I open the program, click "Start New Game," read the briefing, and click whatever button initiates the scenario. The next screen tells me the scenario is loading. About five or ten seconds later, I get the error message other posters have mentioned: "Unable to register COM interop. Message:Requested registry access is not allowed." Well, yes, there are two user profiles on my computer, but we are both administrators. Nevertheless, I logged in under the other user's profile and tried running the program and got the same result.

I've tried running that RegisterDLL file out of the Sierra folder but it returns an error message similar to the one above. I've also attempted to download Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1, but for some reason this download failed.

Keith, you said in your last post on this thread,

I[t] can usually be fixed by a fresh reinstall of Windows or by means of a registry utility mentioned in the thread below on the Sierra Caesar IV Technical Support board sticky thread, where I posted one solution.

Sticky: Com interop error??

Two people that had problems with the Interop error fixed their problems by each of the two methods I have mentioned here.

This is the most promising thing I've heard anywhere about this problem, and I'm dying to try it. Only thing is, that link ("Stick: Com interop error??") is dead! Would you kindly share one more time the solution you were here proposing? Even a clue would be appreciated!

Thanks, Keith! We obviously keep you busy around here. ;-)

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:00 pm

We should remind New Players that the C4 Demo was a very early public beta & was VERY unoptimized. Tons of players who could not play the demo, were fine with the full game, especially patched to v1.2.

The full game is quite different & has played well on my old XP & also my new computer with both Vista & W7.

Good Luck! :)

dvcasson

Postby dvcasson » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:15 pm

Thanks, Tinkerbell! You know what? I really loved Caesar 3 and... I'm gonna go out and buy the game! So the demo doesn't work... to hell with it. I wouldn't be satisfied with one piece of the full game anyhow. Blessings!

Keith

Postby Keith » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:04 pm

Yeah, the link is dead since the VU/Sierra forums closed down when the company folded and merged with Electronic Arts a year ago.

Unfortunately, I didn't make a save of that particular thread so I've kind of forgotten what it said.

I see you are going to get the full game anyway, but I'm looking around for more information on the Com Interopp error message just in case it comes up again in the future.

Good bless the Internet Archive. I found an archived copy of that original thread from the VU/Sierra boards there:

http://web.archive.org/web/20061021123024/http://forums.vugames.com/thread.jspa?threadID=29275&tstart=0

It requires the use of a utility called RegMon. You'll have to read how to use RegMon properly to locate the offending disallowed registry entry. That information is provided in the links I put in that thread.

A word of warning, if you are a novice at working with your system registry files you probably should not attempt the use of RegMon and the possible fixes.

Backup your registry before you make any changes to it.

Return to “Community Technical Support (Demo)”