Nvidia drivers?

For demo technical or performance issues
Anya

Nvidia drivers?

Postby Anya » Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:34 am

Can I just ask....what video drivers are you guys (or gals :) ) using? I downloaded a new version of the demo, and it installed here on the family computer....after updating .net and DirectX.
However my buildings and people, even some tree trunks, are all white! I've seen some screen shots by other people here and I'm sure that white is not the correct colour!
So my immediate guess is my video driver needs updating. It does, it is 78.01 an old one, but one that worked with another game that was having driver issues. The Sims2 didn't take to the 8 series so well, so I rolled back to the 78.01 for them, but that is clearly not going to work here.
So, for those of you that are playing with the correct graphics....what works?

Thanks
Anya :D

Alphidius

Postby Alphidius » Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:46 am

I have the same problem. Using the 77.77 version though.
The funny thing is upon entering the game the first time, everything works fine for me.
It was until I exited the game and subsequent entering of it again that caused this white texture to appear!

Like you, I sticked to the older version of the drivers since some other games will have conflicts with the newer ones.
Any help here will be greatly appreciated too!
Thanks
Last edited by Alphidius on Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Need_Help

Postby Need_Help » Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:17 am

I am using 84.21 for my nVidia 6600 GT. Its been months since the last time I update this. I think there should be newer version now.

Anya

Postby Anya » Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:09 am

Thanks for the replies Phil and Need Help :D I went to Nvidia's site and the downloads give you the choice of US English, UK English etc, so now I have a new issue to confuse me lol
Although I am not in the US, my last computer used the drivers from the US column....so that video card was American made. I've been to the site of this cards maker,( Leadtek) and their most recent driver seems to be 82.68. I have to get off the computer now....son is waiting to get on to play WoW, and he would rather I don't mess with the display until he has had his daily 'fix' :D

Ryster

Postby Ryster » Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:25 pm

Just get the US english version of 91.31 from the link below. I have a UK system and this version works fine for me.

http://www.nvidia.com/content/license/location_0605.asp?url=http://download.nvidia.com/Windows/91.31/91.31_winxp2kmce_english_whql.exe

Anya

Postby Anya » Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:24 am

Thanks Ryster :) I am tempted to get the latest as then I won't need to do this again for ages. It's a shame the manufacturer is so far behind Nvidia, in offering drivers.....but they are probably concentrating on newer cards now.

If anyone is interested I have the demo going on another computer using the 81.85 drivers. It looks good :)

Marius

Postby Marius » Sat Aug 19, 2006 8:52 am

Sees Phil pull out his whackin' stick ... and takin' the business ... to new fangled nvidia techy trash... lol

pheeph

Postby pheeph » Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:43 am

I'm using 91.31 drivers, but it seems performance is not that great even with the settings on low. I have a Geforce 5700LE. I just hope the final release offers better performance...

Anya

Postby Anya » Sun Aug 20, 2006 8:00 am

So I decided to download the 91.31 drivers and now the demo works perfectly. I don't know about anything else! I have to hope programs my husband uses do.....I actually never thought about "work", just games :rolleyes:

The latest problem is that the computer has decided to send me a message telling me that SLI is not working as one of my graphics cards has been disabled. Silly computer :p I only have one graphic card anyway.....that much I do know as I went over the spec's carefully when buying this. I am guessing the tech people disabled SLI function and changing the driver has reenabled it. Don't know why as I have reinstalled drivers before. I had to try out many different drivers to get The Sims to work. When it just wouldn't the tech people found it was actually not a driver problem, but a bad memory stick. Anyway I'm ignoring the message :p and when my brother (who understands computers) next visits he can get rid of the message for me.

Good point about the back up drivers Phil. I went through my paperwork for this machine and do have the original disk that came with the video card, it will have the original driver on it.

Thanks for all the help everyone :D

pheeph

Postby pheeph » Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:57 pm

how about a VE series of the 5700? Not sure if I could use that often because I think my PC couldn't handle it... (found this out when playing Tron 2.0 with that card)

Ryster

Postby Ryster » Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:23 pm

pheeph wrote:I'm using 91.31 drivers, but it seems performance is not that great even with the settings on low. I have a Geforce 5700LE. I just hope the final release offers better performance...

I had a GeForce 6600 GT 128mb until yesterday when it broke. I was noticing some graphical lag and stuttering when scrolling. I bought a brand new GeForce 7600 GT 256mb today and the game is now smooth as a baby's bottom. I would suggest that if my 6600 has performance issues at medium quality settings, then good performance is not to be expected on a 5700 :confused:

Anya

Postby Anya » Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:27 pm

Phil,
thanks for the nice clear instructions :D I was able to follow them, unfortunately there was only the one device listed...the 6600, the video card I know I had installed :)

On the positive side though, I found an entry for raid. This is on my other computer and comes up when I start it. It's another thing I've been ignoring :) My understanding is that it 'mirror's' your hard drive to save your work. Useful if you are working, but as on that computer I only play games, I don't need it, and have been wondering how to turn it off.

Anya

Postby Anya » Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:40 am

Thanks again Phil :D

Return to “Community Technical Support (Demo)”