Crashing? I need your help plse

For technical or performance related issues
Jeff Fiske

Crashing? I need your help plse

Postby Jeff Fiske » Sat Sep 30, 2006 5:01 am

I noticed something that may very well be coincidence, but is worth pursuing further. Everyone whos' DXDIAG I looked at had multiple CD/DVD drives and the drives letters went up to E (some to G, or I). (Exception was one person, who may have had a fragmented 2.gb remaining on his HD.)

You can help us narrow this down, by posting your DXDIAG in this thread (or refering to a previous post I may have missed) if you crash Because you opened a trade route AND you only have a C and a D drive.

We are still gathering information about this, because we have x1600, 9600's, 6600 (AGP & PCX) etc... We can't reproduce it. If we can't replicate it in house it is close to impossible to fix, so I am hoping to narrow things down.

I really apreciate your patience on this and thank everyone for their help, including our fans who do a great job of trying to help all of you so we can concentrate on making great games.

So, if this turns out to have nothing to do with it at least we will know and move on to the next possibility.

Thanks and hopefully we will have everyone building their empire shortly.

Jeff
Last edited by Jeff Fiske on Sat Sep 30, 2006 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jeff Fiske

Thanks

Postby Jeff Fiske » Sat Sep 30, 2006 6:17 am

Heh, I looked at that dx diag earlier and was following up off the board. Obviously, if we come to some resolution or make any progress, that information will be passed on.

That certainly was a pretty vanilla machine, above spec.

However, I should clairfy, I really am looking for people Crashing with the trade routes- who also only have C& D drives.

I guess it is time to edit my post.

SoulJas

Postby SoulJas » Sat Sep 30, 2006 1:29 pm

I have crashes with openin trade routes also. Here is my DxDiag.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PCDania

Postby PCDania » Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:07 pm

@SoulJas

From your Dxdiag file:
Drive: C:
Free Space: 1.6 GB
Total Space: 11.1 GB

You have way too little free space on your C: drive unless you have moved your pagefile and even then it would be good if you could free up some space on C:

Jeff Fiske

20% free

Postby Jeff Fiske » Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:32 pm

All hard drives should be kept to 20% free. This is what MS says. I am not saying you need that, but you definately need more room than you have. Remember, virtual memory uses your hard drive, and if you have that little room you probably will see problems.

I would delete what you can, uninstall game, Defrag, and try again.

That should take care of it. If you can get to 20% free space, that would be ideal for your system in general.

Hope that helps, and please let us know if it does.

jeff

Keith

Postby Keith » Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:42 pm

I've got a lot of these types of posts on the tech board at Sierra too.

One person narrowed it down on his system to the fact that he was opening the trade route without having built the city. The game locked up every time. Then he built some housing got some pottery in stock and then opened the trade route and he had no problem.

perebo

Postby perebo » Sat Sep 30, 2006 3:58 pm

just a question, I'm not trying to start trouble or be in a negative mood or anything, i'm seriously curious...

Honestly, seriously, honestly(dont lie to me now): Did you guys do any play testing for this game?

Thanks for your time

mouse

Postby mouse » Sat Sep 30, 2006 4:16 pm

Perebo I can answer the question about play testing but it will be up to TM to give details. Yes the game was play tested :D

yoshi

Postby yoshi » Sat Sep 30, 2006 4:30 pm

I have the same problem
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jeff Fiske

Postby Jeff Fiske » Sat Sep 30, 2006 5:13 pm

yoshi wrote:I have the same problem

Right, you also have d,e,f,g drives.

I am looking for people who are seeing the problem and ONLY have a C& D drive.

If nobody shows up with that problem, on Monday AM, I build a machine at work with a setup similar to yours, wipe it clean, and see if it dupes. If it does, we can fix it.

Jeff Fiske

Postby Jeff Fiske » Sat Sep 30, 2006 5:14 pm

SoulJas wrote:I have crashes with openin trade routes also. Here is my DxDiag.

Right, and you also have D,E,F,G etc... only looking for people with C&D drives ONLY.

Seems like we are narrowing down this problem at least.

Jeff Fiske

Postby Jeff Fiske » Sat Sep 30, 2006 5:16 pm

Phil Walker wrote:Thanks for observing and your attempts. HERE is a post by one with no replies yet, but a good thorough explanation with her DxDiag attached.

Sincerely,
Phil

In PM problem was fixed. (By using sugs from this forum.)

Compleate PM posted here, with permision.

Originally Posted by Beavil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Fiske
[I]Of all the machines posted, yours seems 100% good to go, where I have found small quirks in others. We played the game with no problem on Athalons far worse than yours and plenty of nvidia 6 series cards.

One thing, I have some saitek stuff (that rocks btw) but going back years ago, they had notorious driver issues. Could you try swaping out your keyboard if you have a different one?

Let me know how it goes, we hopefully will have you and everyone else running soon.

Thanks,
Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Since I posted I have had some success - I was just getting ready to post again when I saw your message.

I am not sure what might have worked, but here is what I have done both good and possibly bad:

Possible problems:
I had updated my graphics card driver AFTER installing C4. I uninstalled the demo AFTER installing the full version of C4.

Here's what I have done that resulted in some success:
I uninstalled C4. My graphics driver had been updated to the most current version. I used .NET 2.0 that came on the C4 installer disc 1 to repair my .NET 2.0 file (just in case) before re-installing C4.

I then installed C4 and now the game is running and I have successfully completed the first two tutorial levels of the Kindgom Campaign (and now it's time to sleep!).

The game play stutters/lags a bit if the narrator is talking at the same time I am continuing to place items, open and close menus, etc. But, it hasn't crashed and that's always a good thing!

I am running the game at the best performance settings right now. I plan to stress test the quality settings Saturday evening. Please let me know if you think there is something else I can try that may remedy the stuttering/lag.

Thanks very much for your help! The forum has been a great help to me today.

Thanks,
Bea[/I]

Great news- can you post in the forum? Or do you mind if I make this entire PM public?

Thanks

Please feel free to make the PM public (it saves typing!)

Thanks.

Jeff Fiske

Postby Jeff Fiske » Sat Sep 30, 2006 5:30 pm

perebo wrote:just a question, I'm not trying to start trouble or be in a negative mood or anything, i'm seriously curious...

Honestly, seriously, honestly(dont lie to me now): Did you guys do any play testing for this game?

Thanks for your time

Yes we tested it. VUG tested it. Other people tested it as well.

I think that time will will show that besides a very small percent of people, the product is very bug free- particularly in comparison with similarly complex Strategy Games.

Also, I will point out that if you start going back to the begining of either Tech forum for CotN or CaesarIV 90% of the problems do wind up being system config issues. 5% wind up being machines with serious issues (dead vid fans, dying power supplies, etc.) and 5% wind up being legitimate issues TM needs to address. If you think about the thousands of people playing the game, not posting problems here, the fact that no review I have seen mentions any issues, I think this is more evidence of why we have a reputation for bug free products. (No products of this complexity are truely bug free, it is a relitive term for us, and anyone.)

Our other reputation, is we support our products, so stick around, have some paitience, and we appreciate your help and participation in the process- it helps us all.

Jeff

Jeff Fiske

Postby Jeff Fiske » Sat Sep 30, 2006 5:41 pm

perebo wrote:just a question, I'm not trying to start trouble or be in a negative mood or anything, i'm seriously curious...

Thanks for your time

I just found your DX diag on another forum, I see that you also have two CD/DVD drives.

Hopefully we are onto something here, though you are not crashing on the trade route are you, or just having problems with saves?

Can you do me a favor. Post your Caesariv.INI file? (shows as caesarIV configuration file). I am curious what these two lines say, in addition to other settings.

Installed From Directory \PROGRAM FILES\SIERRA\CAESAR IV\
Installed From Volume C:

Jeff

imhotep3147

Postby imhotep3147 » Sat Sep 30, 2006 6:55 pm

Hey Jeff, it might be worthwhile to look at the specific brands of cd/dvd drives as a possible issue. When COTN first came out I (and some others) had serious problems with Phillips drives....had to go through like 2 or 3 brands before I finally found one that the game would work with.....could be something similar here? IIRC the problem was with Phillips, Sony, and ...... some random off-brand I don't remember the name of from Walmart. Finally found a Lite-on that agreed with the game. The crashing and hard-freezing problems I had back then sound similar to what some of these guys are experiencing. Also, might be worth a shot to see if poor ventilation due to having so many drives crammed into a tower could be an issue as well? Don't know what most of the posters are running with, but my poor little Dell tower doesn't care for too much stuff in it....it runs hotter than Hades in there with 2 opticals and 2 hardrives, and I have fans blowing on it. :D

SoulJas

Postby SoulJas » Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:06 pm

Guys, my system is toatlly fine! I`m keepin C drive clean. All swap files, software.. etc, are located on the other drives.

sls

Postby sls » Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:52 pm

OK mine is still crashing on the trade routes and I now only have C: & D: drives. :( Attaching my DxDiag.

yoshi

Postby yoshi » Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:58 pm

I have no idea what's wrong =.

Jeff Fiske

x1600 showing up alot.

Postby Jeff Fiske » Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:14 pm

I love this card, I think it is a good card for the money, doesn't run hot, but it seems to be involved in quite a few reports- particularly the AGP variety.

We had some quirkiness with this card back in early august, as we did with the 9600, but like I said, that was a while ago- and not this bad.

The good news is we should be able to make a rig similar to someones machine and perhaps even duplicate it.

Bad news it won't get you playing today, you will still have to wait so bear with us.

Jeff
(At one point or another over the past 14 months we have had problems of some sort on almost every chipset series, so don't read too much into my mention of early August issues.)

Natty Dread

Postby Natty Dread » Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:34 pm

Hello,

I have more than a C and D drive, however since this seems the place to post problems with trade route crashing I thought I'd throw mine in here too, you never know (and I certainly don't know).

I've been lurking here all morning and have tried pretty much all the suggestions here to try and fix the problem. The only thing that has worked is to play the game for a while and establish a city and THEN open a trade route. Not the best solution but it will allow me to otherwise enjoy this so far kick a** game!

Cheers!

Return to “Community Technical Support”