Crashing? I need your help plse

For technical or performance related issues
Justinian X

My 20 minute freeze/crashes have stopped. Similar issues? Give this a try...

Postby Justinian X » Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:32 pm

I wanted to post this in one of the Sticky forum topics to try to get it to the most people. For those of us that have been having the game freeze/lock up issues whereby resulting in needing to hit the power button off & on again to unlock, here's a possible solution to try that has helped fix my issues & have thus far allowed me to run the game w/out it freezing & locking up on me. For the record, my freeze issues have not come w/ any specific action in the game (such as opening trade routes, etc.) but at random after a time threshold of about no greater than 20 minutes or so. I have of course been trying many, many of the various suggestions in the forums to help resolve & none had worked until I tried the suggestion posted by Amenirdis (Dankeschön Amenirdis!) in this thread: http://www.tiltedmill.com/forums/showpost.php?p=130926&postcount=8

You can also read the entries before & after the forum's entry #8 for further detailed info about what these changes do, specific steps how to do it, etc. To summarize what I did, after starting the game & while it is in the main menu, I alt-tab back to the Task Manager. Not only did I change the game's Affinity as per his suggestion, but I also changed the game's Priority to "High" & then toggled back into the game & started on one of my loaded games. Not sure if that second step matters one way or another, but it hasn't messed anything up & it certainly didn't hurt to do it. Besides that it will default back to the original settings once you stop & start the game up again so you'd need to do these steps each time playing.

Good luck & I hope this helps. Thanks again to Amenirdis.

XPav

Postby XPav » Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:03 am

Running on a 20" iMac (early 2006), under Bootcamp.

The "INI" hack fixed the crash exiting the trade/adviser screen, but did not fix the hang when dismissing "Rome requests" dialog boxes via Ship It or Later button.

Changing CPU affinity also did not help.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Adrian1986

C4 gets error

Postby Adrian1986 » Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:24 am

high, for the demo, after i click begin ( to begin game) when the game starts loading, a sound beeps once and then i get, in windows, an error from the game,

i get Unable to register COM interop. Message: requested registry access is not allowed

and Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Lybrary
runtime library error
program C:\........
this application has requested the runtime to terminate it........
two pop ups

thank you
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Manni

Postby Manni » Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:20 pm

Hello Adrian1986

you are using ATI Driver Version: 6.14.0010.6462 from 2004 which is antique

Try it with installing ATI-driver version Catalyst 6.5 from May this year instead

Sounddriver dates from 2001, do find a newer one from here:

http://us.creative.com/support/downloads/softwareupdate.asp?nSUFlag=1&sDestUrl=http://us.creative.com/support/downloads/&hdAllProduct=1&LangID=1033&hdDspLangID=1033

In case you have XP on D installed which shows up as:
Drive: D:
Free Space: 0.1 GB
Total Space: 20.9 GB

there is NOT enough space for XP to swap files

(WHERE IS YOUR C-drive ???) :eek:

All 5 visible partitions show very few free space, you ought to do some cleaning or deleting unused stuff.

mouse

Postby mouse » Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:32 pm

XPav the solution to the freeze related to messages is to go into game settings-interface-enable eveything under the pause messages.

Justinian X

oh no -- not again

Postby Justinian X » Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:26 pm

Justinian X wrote:I wanted to post this in one of the Sticky forum topics to try to get it to the most people. For those of us that have been having the game freeze/lock up issues whereby resulting in needing to hit the power button off & on again to unlock, here's a possible solution to try that has helped fix my issues & have thus far allowed me to run the game w/out it freezing & locking up on me. For the record, my freeze issues have not come w/ any specific action in the game (such as opening trade routes, etc.) but at random after a time threshold of about no greater than 20 minutes or so. I have of course been trying many, many of the various suggestions in the forums to help resolve & none had worked until I tried the suggestion posted by Amenirdis (Dankeschön Amenirdis!) in this thread: http://www.tiltedmill.com/forums/showpost.php?p=130926&postcount=8

You can also read the entries before & after the forum's entry #8 for further detailed info about what these changes do, specific steps how to do it, etc. To summarize what I did, after starting the game & while it is in the main menu, I alt-tab back to the Task Manager. Not only did I change the game's Affinity as per his suggestion, but I also changed the game's Priority to "High" & then toggled back into the game & started on one of my loaded games. Not sure if that second step matters one way or another, but it hasn't messed anything up & it certainly didn't hurt to do it. Besides that it will default back to the original settings once you stop & start the game up again so you'd need to do these steps each time playing.

Good luck & I hope this helps. Thanks again to Amenirdis.

Well the Game's run with this workaround was pretty good while it lasted & although I did get the game to run for periods of longer than an hour using the above workaround I had posted last week, the freeze/crash issues returned. Now, this would have been fine for me since I usually didn't play C4 for much longer than that anyway, except for one thing: The updates I had done updating drivers, etc. etc. began crashing my #1 game that I play the most, Battleground Europe WWII Online. Upon doing the troubleshooting, I had discovered that it was the update that I did to my Realtek AC97 sound driver - one of the many updates that was recommended to me for finding a C4 workaround - that was causing BGE to crash & then restart my computer (at least it restarted my computer - C4 only freezes it up completely). I then rolled back the AC97 sound driver to the last version I was using before & -BAM- no problems with BGE since.

During the course of my troubleshooting the BGE crash problem, I had completely uninstalled C4. I have since made the decision NOT to reinstall it & will try NO further workarounds or attempts to play it in it's current majorly bugged-out condition. Enough, as they say, is enough.

From all that I've been reading in the forums, websites, etc. I want to make a fun, yet gravely realistic prediction here: That is that there will be NO patch that will be fixing our game random freeze/lock-up issues anytime before Christmas 2006.

August 2005 was when I had first heard the news that Caesar IV was being developed. For more than 13 months the anticipation built & seemed like it couldn't come fast enough. Now, that point having been said, from this point my paragraph could go 2 directions: 1) I slam TM to oblivion for dashing my hopes & dreams for a bigger, better, badder Caesar game or 2) I put the game out of my thoughts completely & accept the fact that if I've waited for 13 months, then what's another 3 months, or 6 months, or 12 months? Frustrated as I am, I decide to choose the latter & remain optimistic, yet realistic. Hope for the best -- a patch by the end of this year -- but prepare for the worst -- a patch by the end of the Next year.

P.S. I have since started playing Children of the Nile once again so I can at least enjoy that. For anyone in the same boat as I am w/ the random freeze/crash issues that have NOT played CotN, check it out. It's actually a very solid game unto itself & will at least get you "part of the way there" to reaching something Caesar IV-esque.

salud!

jobu70

Ditto

Postby jobu70 » Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:16 am

Same here....back to CoTN and maybe some CIV 4.

Your prediction scares me because by then who knows what will be out for PC's that will suck my time and the console wars will be in full swing

Can you say Wii?

Washi

Postby Washi » Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:13 pm

Hello! I have the same problem... the game crash when I visualize the trade routes :(

Here's my DxDiag ;)

Manni

Postby Manni » Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:22 pm

Washi wrote:Hello! I have the same problem... the game crash when I visualize the trade routes :(

Here's my DxDiag ;)

Try the TRADE-ROUTE-FIX from NERO:

http://www.tiltedmill.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10474

Apart from that try and lay off your Drive: H: Model: Generic DVD-ROM SCSI CdRom Device
Last edited by Manni on Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mouse

Postby mouse » Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:37 pm

Washi you need to roll back your video drivers to drivers dated between January and May 2006. The driver you are using disables some features of older video cards.

Pappy

Trade Route Crash

Postby Pappy » Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:31 pm

NERO's workaround worked for me. Thanks NERO!

bullet brain

Postby bullet brain » Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:30 pm

the trade route worked a few times, just by clicking open trade at start of game. but usually it crashes.

Manni

Postby Manni » Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:56 pm

Hello bullet brain

thanks for the dxdiag.

I think you have far too few free space on C

Drive: C:
Free Space: 0.6 GB
Total Space: 14.7 GB

is your virtual drive also located on C ?

In case your system Xp home is on C there is not much room for XP to swap files about (I just saw that it IS on C)

oliversl

Postby oliversl » Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:03 pm

This solved my problems!!!

I could not open trade routes, now its fixed.

Sierra, please include this fix in the 1.2 patch, thanks ;)

Kiya

Postby Kiya » Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:14 am

oliversl wrote:This solved my problems!!!

I could not open trade routes, now its fixed.

Sierra, please include this fix in the 1.2 patch, thanks ;)

Well..... I certainly hope Sierra will not do this. Instead TM would make a totally new fix that not only fixes this one but does not make a new 'abnormality'. If I understood right this 'fix' does make you able to open trade routes, but also it states 'you cheated' in your win screen. Thus not giving you the right for online playing.

Adrian1986

problem iwth C IV

Postby Adrian1986 » Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:42 pm

hi i have the same problem as i had before, my game never worked ,

high, for the demo, after i click begin ( to begin game) when the game starts loading, a sound beeps once and then i get, in windows, an error from the game,

i get Unable to register COM interop. Message: requested registry access is not allowed

and Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Lybrary
runtime library error
program C:\........
this application has requested the runtime to terminate it........
two pop ups

these popups popped up and right after i opened the game, the game never made it, to get further in the game i launch C4DotNetReg.exe and then i can get in the game - as far as the main menu

thank you
Last edited by Adrian1986 on Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: need to upload

Manni

Postby Manni » Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:44 am

Hello Adrian1986

Phil Walker is right...............your sounddriver demands updating!

You have a SB Live! Wave Device card/onboardsound and driver from 2001

look here for newer a driver:

http://www.creative.com/language.asp?sDestUrl=/support/downloads

there you choose your country first and then carry on.......... :)

You still have few free room on your partitions.........

undelete

Postby undelete » Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:22 pm

Jeff Fiske wrote:Yes we tested it. VUG tested it. Other people tested it as well.

I think that time will will show that besides a very small percent of people, the product is very bug free- particularly in comparison with similarly complex Strategy Games.

Jeff

WoooHooo!! I'm in the "small percentage of people"!!!! :D I got *almost* all existing crashes! (except the rain one, it rains just fine :p )
I wish I had that one too! :mad:

I got the traderoute bug. (even though it doesn' *always* crash-sometimes if I remove the displayed tags from cities works).

I have narrator issues in the "tutorial", it either stops speaking in the middle of a sentence (with audio to "performance") or crashes when changes hint. I even repetetly crash on the first tutorial when entering the city again when first talking to the councils (I got past that with playing around -too- much with everything in options..)

I have the warehouse "orders" crash, not always though.

And I have lockups-crashes or the game crashing with something might told on the screen as an error message, but when I press ESC I return to windows with no message (IF I am lucky and I don't need resetting..)
I am a pc user and gamer from 1994.. It's a long time and this is the first time this ever happened.Hell---I played betas more stable :p
I really love this game and got ALL the series of CB games (Favourite: :) Pharaoh :) )

Please do your magic and I'll checking around for a 1.2 patch (maybe it should be "2.0" patch :rolleyes :)

PS. Tell Sierra/VU I want a 3D Pharaoh 2 with lots of different of Monuments! (I'm pretty sure a lot of ppl are!)
PS2. My drives go up to L:\ :D (with removable media)
I'll try just C:\ and D:\ and the "3G virtual memory" trick today..
If I don't get working around I 'll make a DxDiag to post.

Greeting from Greece and thanx for reading my "nagging"! :cool:

lightdark

Postby lightdark » Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:15 pm

I used Nero's temp fix for the trade routes locking up. But there is one more lock up. When raiders come in, I pause the game and tell my fighters where to go--then it locks up in pause mode.

My main wish is that this game would crash, not just lockup. I would like that fixed :-)

DXDiad attached

undelete

Update

Postby undelete » Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:20 am

---UPDATE----
The Traderoute Fix Worked for me.
The 1GB RAM + 3 Gigabytes Virtual Memory made Caesar IV crash less often,and I think a crash-lockup is more certain when I have a lot of menus
displaying eg. Overlays+building menu,and clicking on build roads button with that open crashes me.
I get a "game exeption" on the taskbar but I can not read what it says as I get a desktop stuck with what I was seeing in C4 when it crashed,I will incluse a snapshot in the future.
And It's not a "after sometimes crashes", but can happen even under 2minutes time after playing the game.

Happy gaming to everyone!

Return to “Community Technical Support”