Crashing when it rains? A possible solution.

For technical or performance related issues
Amenirdis

Crashing when it rains? A possible solution.

Postby Amenirdis » Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:32 pm

Edit 18th January 2007:

After applying the patch 1.2, you can now turn off the weather effects by changing the INI File, as mentioned in the patch change-log:

- Added INI option for disabling weather (Open caesariv.ini in a text editor. To disable weather, change the line "Weather 1" to "Weather 0" in the caesariv.ini file. If the "Weather" setting is not in the INI, add it manually after installing the update)

Also, for those of you who used my changed rain files:
The patch does not revert those files back into their original state. This means, even after applying the patch, the changed rain-files will stay changed.

It is however recommended to copy back the original files prior to applying the patch 1.2.

If, after applying the patch, you still encounter crashes during the rain, you can then turn off the weather effects as described above.

Changing the INI-File will NOT label you as cheater!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

For all those whose computer crashes as soon as it starts raining, I have a temporary solution that might work. It doesn't seem to help those 'only' experiencing lag when it rains.

What I did: I changed some values in the Rain-files so that the raindrops won't get rendered/displayed any longer. You will still see the dark clouds in the sky and people running in the streets, covering their heads with their hands, but you won't see the raindrops anymore.

What to do: quite easy. Replace the orignal rain files with the ones I have attached in this post.

1.) go to the folder Sierra/CaesarIV/Data/Graphics/sfx

2.) make a backup copy of the following files, save them for example in the 'MyDocuments' folder.

- Rain_Spray.txt
- Rain_Spray_big.txt
- Rain_Spray_small.txt
- RainShower.txt
- RainStorm.txt

If you feel that my altered files don't work for you, then you can easily copy the original files back.

3.) copy the attached rain-files into the sfx folder. It should overwrite the original ones. If it doesn't work, then simply delete the original ones and then copy my files into the folder.

4.) start the game, play until it should rain and see if it works for you guys and gals, too.

People with ATI Radeon X300, X500/550 or X600 might want to try to older 5.4 drivers first before applying my file changes as several people have reported that this driver version solved their conflicts and C4 is running ok now for them. If this driver doesn't help, you can still apply my files below to stop the raining.

You can download the driver here:
http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=1031

Then uninstall your current ATI drivers, reboot and install the 5.4 drivers.
Poi and Manni have have described how they did it (with some extra steps). You can read their posts here and here.

Two more links for the 5.4 drivers:

WinXP/2000/Media Center:
http://www.techspot.com/drivers/driver/file/information/4850/

WinXP Profession x64 Edition:
http://www.techspot.com/drivers/driver/file/information/5065/

I hope this helps some of you having problems.

- Amenirdis
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Amenirdis on Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Latest situation after Patch 1.2

Tony Leier

Postby Tony Leier » Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:43 pm

Cool - let us know if this works for other people that see this.

Amenirdis, could you post your Dxdiag file? Might help us see why this is happening. Thanks!

Amenirdis

Postby Amenirdis » Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:46 pm

Thanks Tony.

I can attach my dxdiag of course, but I've got to add, that it wasn't me suffering from the crashes, but a user from a German forum. I can ask him though, if he allows me to attach his dxdiag, if you like. This fix has helped him.

Amenirdis

Postby Amenirdis » Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:59 am

Okay, Tony, here is the dxdiag you requested.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tony Leier

Postby Tony Leier » Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:04 pm

That will help, Thanks!

mga9394

oh my god it worked

Postby mga9394 » Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:37 pm

wow, i totally followed these instructions and it worked and my system does not lock up anymore, thanks so much for posting this.

Karl.

Amenirdis

Postby Amenirdis » Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:53 pm

mga9394: Great! I'm glad it works for you, too.

I saw on the German forum today that another user successfully applied this fix and can now play again. If I get the Dxdiag, I'll attach it again.

LadyCrimson

Postby LadyCrimson » Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:00 am

My system doesn't crash with the rain but it does tend to pause/lag noticably right as rain starts and sometimes also right as it ends. The transition is not anywhere near smooth. Most of the time it's not too severe, 2-3 seconds, but on the huge cities where there's a lot more strain on the pc to begin with, it becomes a lot more noticable. with a pause of maybe 10 seconds.

I'll download and try it later tonight. I like the sound of the rain, but don't care much about the rain graphic, and it'd help on the big-cities I'm trying to make. :)

LadyCrimson

Postby LadyCrimson » Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:04 am

Ok, I tried it. It does what it says - the rain doesn't show graphically but the people still do their animations and such. On my game it seemed to disable the rainfall sound, as well. Nice job at figuring out what to change in those files.

Since I don't crash, can't give an opinion on that, but it didn't stop the big lag spike I get. Which is too bad...I thought they might be related. Guess something else is causing the temporary rain-lag/freeze thing.

Amenirdis

Postby Amenirdis » Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:58 am

@ LadyCrimson: yes, unfortunately, it seems that this fix doesn't help for those experiencing the lag thing. Although I can't imagine why it doesn't affect it. If I experienced any lag myself, I could further experiment with the files.

@ the Devs: I got the second DxDiag.

mga9394

question for armendelis

Postby mga9394 » Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:31 am

your pretty good at figuring out the issues, do you have one for the earthquake to make it NOT SO SEVERE thats a total game killer.

Amenirdis

Postby Amenirdis » Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:11 am

Hi, mga9394. :)
I'm flattered, but I think you give me too much credit. I was lucky the rain files were in plain text format. :o
As for the earthquakes: I have not found a solution to adjust its severity so far. I'm sorry.

PantherX

Earthquakes

Postby PantherX » Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:35 pm

mga9394 wrote:your pretty good at figuring out the issues, do you have one for the earthquake to make it NOT SO SEVERE thats a total game killer.

I just posted a follow up to the earthquake thread, it's work but will usually save a disaster.

http://www.tiltedmill.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11221&page=2&highlight=pantherx

I think that link should get you there

Good luck
PantherX
________
vaporizer affiliate
Last edited by PantherX on Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

GTX2GvO

"Slow" laptop, fast solution?

Postby GTX2GvO » Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:46 pm

I only get EXTREME lag when it starts raining.
Above the lag that's caused by my 1,46GHz Celeron M.

Haven't had any crashed though. (Knocks on wooden table)
But the near stand-still I get when the whether changes or something else happens is not funny. :mad:

Are you sure that this will not solve slowdowns. (or is there a solution)
I'm not testing anything that might potentially crash the game IF used wrong.
(BIG chance with me)

Keith

Postby Keith » Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:50 pm

First make sure you have patch 1.2 installed.

Then do the following (only works with patch):

- Added INI option for disabling weather (Open caesariv.ini in a text editor. To disable weather, change the line "Weather 1" to "Weather 0" in the caesariv.ini file. If the "Weather" setting is not in the INI, add it manually after installing the update)See the top post in the thread for even more things to try.

Also, go in the SETTING/Interface menu and put a checkmark in each box in the Message Pausing section of that setup menu.
Last edited by Keith on Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GTX2GvO

Postby GTX2GvO » Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:07 am

Well... I've disabled the weather. (So my C4 is ALL patched up :) )

Haven't tested (/played) yet. But thanks for the Details.

GTX2GvO

Speeed!!!!!

Postby GTX2GvO » Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:10 am

It worked! I have more speed (HARDLY ANY LAG NOW!). Even WITH all my Windows settings.

But, there are still a few questionmarks in my head.
It's about the settings (and stuff I noticed). I've added screenshot's of the settings pages.
(orriginal's view is 1280*800*32bit)

What should be checked/UNchecked in these pages.
What should be set lower/higher, for performance + eye candy. :rolleyes:
*Note on the interface page. The message pausing checkboxes ARE checked by now.
But does this Pause the game with messages OR not?

btw.
Although the weather is set off. I DID saw a small shower during gameplay.
(but didn't gave me lag :) )

Pre-Thanks to all help.

cesar20

Postby cesar20 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:30 am

Hello,

In the first message of this thread there are files to download :
- Rain_Spray.txt
- Rain_Spray_big.txt
- Rain_Spray_small.txt
- RainShower.txt
- RainStorm.txt

But the links are down :(

Do you know if there is an other place to download those files ?

By advance thank you . :)

Keith

Postby Keith » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:41 pm

I haven't seen the author of the thread around in a long time but you can try using the board's PM and email functions to try and reach him.

You may also want to check for the files over in the Caesar IV Heaven site. I checked their Caesar IV files and didn't see them listed. Someone here probably has copies.

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:07 pm

Howdy, cesar20!

There was a forum crash in late 2008 & it took out a bunch of files & snapshot images that had been uploaded to this forum, mainly in the COTN section.

That is why those links are dead.

Return to “Community Technical Support”