I can't see the cursor.

For technical or performance related issues
Lazaro

I can't see the cursor.

Postby Lazaro » Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:29 am

Hello,

I finally got Caesar IV. However I can't really play it. When the game starts up, I can see the cursor (a bronze-colored hand with a ring) frozen in the center of the screen, however it won't move. Still, if I move my mouse I can highlight any button in the menu even tough the cursor stays stuck in the center of the screen. I set the graphics to "best performance" but the cursor is still there.

I've attached my dxdiag file, please let me know what can I do to fix this. Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Lazaro

Postby Lazaro » Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:32 pm

So let me get this straight, in a poor man's machine, the game is able to render the detailed scenarios, buildings and pedestrians, but not the cursor?

Well I guess it's what I get for paying 300$ for a computer. Too bad, the game looked good. I really didn't expect this, since most games, like the Sims 2 or America's Army, work just fine on medium settings in this machine. Including Cotn.

Lazaro

Postby Lazaro » Mon Dec 11, 2006 4:07 pm

I have another PC at the bottom of my closet, it's pretty much the same (512 RAM, same Mhz, Win 98) but it has a Nvidia card, 128 MBs, no chipset. I threw it there when it was no longer usable because of massive spyware. If I get it out, and clean it up, do you think C4 will work on it?

mouse

Postby mouse » Mon Dec 11, 2006 4:25 pm

It might but you will need to install Win XP SP2 for the game to work or you could move the video card to your current system if you have a slot for it.

Just for the record if building a system it would be neccessary to also buy a new processor, very likely new memory and a new power supply.

Lazaro

Postby Lazaro » Mon Dec 11, 2006 4:50 pm

I don't have a slot for it, but I'm buying a new laptop this weekend, I'm going to spend $1500.

Just to let you know I just finished the first mission (Took me 11 game months). The performance was smooth as silk, but it got a little jumpy when I scrolled too fast. I fixed the cursor issue by just using the road tool, since it highlights with green the spot the cursor should be on. I just found a hotkey list which should make things even better. So I'm guessing my problem is solved. Thanks for the advice.

buckshankly

frozen cursor

Postby buckshankly » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:28 pm

i had the same problem with caesar 4 for 4 years. don't know if you have solved your problem but finally have a solution. change your display font size to 125% instead of 150. I kid you not. i'm running windows 7 64bit and have always had this problem until now. hope it works for you.

buck

Keith

Postby Keith » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:43 pm

If you are using a Windows desktop "theme" or animated cursor it can sometimes cause problems with the cursor in games too. In that case, disable the "theme".

Return to “Community Technical Support”