Vista Patch For Game Crashes

For technical or performance related issues
Estavius Maximus

Vista Patch For Game Crashes

Postby Estavius Maximus » Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:06 pm

This just came out. I heard about it on a Battlefield 2 website which I frequent. I installed this fix, then ran CIV. I then did all the activities which generally crash the game, and got no crash. The patch is for accomodating Direct X 9c. I'm using DX 10. Keep that in mind.

The specifications page is very easy to read and understand with regard to Vista graphics crashes. Very informative.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940105

Böle

Thanks!

Postby Böle » Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:15 pm

This is great news!

I haven't been able to play Caesar IV since I upgraded to Vista. Now it finally works! Thanks.

phil-maskell

CAESAR IV Game will not run on Vista

Postby phil-maskell » Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:00 pm

I have Ceasar IV on XP and it runs no problem. I have upgraded recently to Vista Enterprise so now have a dual boot (just in case!). Anyway have tried to get Caesar IV working with no joy. Installed it, tried to run it without the patch, nothing, uninstalled, reinstalled, tried with the patch absolutely nothing. Each time the game starts, looks for the CD, recognises it and then shuts down "Caesar IV has stopped working" and then the close program icon appears. Has anyone any ideas? I have all the latest updates installed both for windows, NVIDIA and Caesar IV. Any ideas please send to phil-maskell@supanet.com, thanks.
Here's hoping.........
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Estavius Maximus

Postby Estavius Maximus » Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:37 pm

Phil, I've read your post and am giving it some thought. No ready answer for you, though.

phil-maskell

Postby phil-maskell » Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:45 pm

This is absolutely weird. After putting my post and asking for suitable answers, none so far, I tried Caesar IV again in Vista and for some unknown reason it has started working with no problem. I did notice when I was booting it up in XP there was a quick message referring to Direct 7 and then the game loaded no problem. Anyone any ideas?
Phil

phil-maskell

Postby phil-maskell » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:18 am

Hi Phil,
Yes I did get the email. I did try to install version 9.0c but Vista would not let me. Also tried the video drivers but was told I already had the most up to date!
Regards
Phil

phil-maskell

Postby phil-maskell » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:40 am

"phil-maskell" wrote:Hi Phil,
Yes I did get the email. I did try to install version 9.0c but Vista would not let me. Also tried the video drivers but was told I already had the most up to date!
Regards
Phil

I can access Caesar IV using the run from the CD, if I use the shortcut icon on the desktop then it crashes. At least I can now play the game!

phil-maskell

Postby phil-maskell » Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:58 pm

Hi Phil,
Reason I have been away is I have a new computer now (AMD Phenom Quad Processor 2.2GHz). Still same graphics card, but now have a vista rating of 5.4 which is for the hard drive, everyting else is 5.9 Anyway, did try the method you said but no luck. Another thing I have noticed is that when I am loading a saved game it loads all the way (sometimes with a black screen and finger pointer only) then the game screen appears and as soon as I move the cursor the games crashes. I solved it by adjusting the settings of the game downwards and now it plays OK, which is weird as I have the almost the best of everything yet I have to have inferior graphics for the game!

Rnett

Postby Rnett » Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:12 pm

Or stick with XP until Windows 7 is released... :D

phil-maskell

Postby phil-maskell » Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:02 pm

Hello Phil and thanks for the response.
Altered the blue as you stated and checked drdoak threads but I already have full admin priveleges. Loaded game again, using the Play game from the CD menu screen, game loads with full graphics, but as soon as I select one of my saved games, the screen goes black with the sun dial until it loads and then I have the full screen game. Weird or what?

spidus
Location: market lavington/onnile osirisnehk cites antinoopolis /karanis

Postby spidus » Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:51 pm

Hi phil-maskill
i am on vista but when i open a saved game i get the desktop instead of the c4 tempel thing which is slity better than ablack screen.
spidus

phil-maskell

Postby phil-maskell » Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:54 pm

Hi,

What is "c4 tempel"?

phil-maskell

Postby phil-maskell » Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:55 pm

"Phil Walker" wrote:Hello Phil. Reason for that is easy to say. It's called VISTA. That piece fo junk OS is still full of bugs and graphics being the most widely known problem. In your system (not game) turn the blue-green way down to off should help.

As to your other issue, there is only three things possible that I can assist with in suggesting anyway. One is to make sure the game .exe is set to run as administrator as well as in XP mode is the second. Other than that, it could well be you need to alter your permissions in your registry. Go to the member list and find "drdoak" (no quotes of course) and view all his posts. He gave details of what to adjust and how to do it in one thread he posted in three or four time. If none of those solve it as well as the graphics, you cna thank Bill Gates and Vista otherwise. All I can offer other than to see if the Vista SP1 that is supposed to be out will fix it.

(This post subject to disappear at any given time.)

Sincerely,
Phil

Hi again Phil.

Have managed to get the shortcut on my desktop to work, but does not load the saved files. Upon investigation, it goes to a different directory to get the saved games, C:\Program Files\Sierra\CaesarIV\Data\Saved Games whilst if I run the CD and select Play game it goes to another folder for the saved games C:\Users\Phil\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Sierra\Caesar IV\Data\Saved Games. So trying to be clever I copied the saved games from the one folder to the other and tried the shortcut which worked, then when I select the latest saved game is when I the game starts to load and then crashes stating invalid saved game. I think it might be back to selecting the CD and running the game from there!

Addendum: Have now fixed it. Copied the Caesar IV.ini file and over-wrote the file in the directory, and hey presto, it works.
Last edited by phil-maskell on Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

phil-maskell

Postby phil-maskell » Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:18 pm

"Phil Walker" wrote:OK Phil, one LAST try as far as I go. Try emptying your temproary files folder. Should be located in your Windows folder and (if like XP) should be named "Temp" (without the quotes). Might need to enable showing all hidden files and folders as sometimes in the Temp folder there are some hidden. Open that folder, click Edit and select Select All. Then click on File, and select Delete. Answer Yes to the prompt.. Then empty your recycle bin. Log off (or reboot) and try the game then. All I cna offer save to "dump" Vista (as indicated prior).

Only other thing might be the save is corrupt, and in that case you'll need to find a/any save that will load and start fresh from that point. If you have no "good" saves, might as well delete them all and start fresh.

(This post subject to disappear at any given time.)

Sincerely,
Phil

Hi Phil and thanks for the info. I did fix the shortcut but as I said, it will load but with a blank screen until it is fully loaded with the save game and then I get the whole works!

phil-maskell

Postby phil-maskell » Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:38 pm

Hi Phil and thanks for the info. I did fix the shortcut but as I said, it will load but with a blank screen until it is fully loaded with the save game and then I get the whole works!

spidus
Location: market lavington/onnile osirisnehk cites antinoopolis /karanis

Postby spidus » Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:23 pm

Hi
there is screen pictrer of whot looks like the frount of a tempel while he save/game lodes

tzvasco

Postby tzvasco » Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:42 pm

"Rnett" wrote:Or stick with XP until Windows 7 is released... :D

Well... with XP i've never had problemas.

Instead, with windows 7, until now i can't play games (originals) like Crysis, battlefield and so on, for more than 10 minutes.

My PC has mb Gigabyte EX58-UD3R + intel i7 920 processor + 4 gb DDr3 ram memory + Video card Sapphire 4890 1gb.

I've installed all the updates that are available, like Mb Bios and video card drivers.

I´ve also tried to change to Win Vista sp2 32b ultimate, but i got the same error.

I'm desperate... don't know what else i can do... apart of downgread to XP!! :(

Please help me if you can. ;)

Tks

Homeworld'sa

Postby Homeworld'sa » Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:01 pm

Shuldn't really say this since I'm not a moderator, but still, this thread has been dead for nearly 1 1/2 years. :eek:
No need to bump such a dead thread lol ;)
Last edited by Homeworld'sa on Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Keith

Postby Keith » Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:23 pm

Did you try also installing DirectX9? Many older games had problems with DX10 because of some missing files that DX9 has and DX10 didn't. Your games may be running right up to the point where those files are being called for and then crash.

I may also want to try running all the games' exe files using XP compatability mode. I think Vista has such a mode. I'm still using XP.

tzvasco

Postby tzvasco » Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:13 pm

"Keith" wrote:Did you try also installing DirectX9? Many older games had problems with DX10 because of some missing files that DX9 has and DX10 didn't. Your games may be running right up to the point where those files are being called for and then crash.

I may also want to try running all the games' exe files using XP compatability mode. I think Vista has such a mode. I'm still using XP.

Many thanks for your colaboration.

I've tried the XP compatibility mode and for now... it works!! :)

Return to “Community Technical Support”