massive issues with caesar 4 please help....

For technical or performance related issues
makar40

massive issues with caesar 4 please help....

Postby makar40 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:29 pm

This game used to run fine like a year ago. I have been trying to install it, and in the middle of installing it puts out an error saying something about DotNetInstaller has encountered an error and must close. It does this 3 times, but continues installing.
It will let me play after that, even tho its choppy and slow, but the next time I reboot my comp, it will start spitting out errors immediatly after clicking launch Casesar 4. The errors are usually Caesar.exe has encountered an error and must close. Sometimes it says the same thing about C4exec.exe. And sometimes it says an error about C++ runtime.
I have updated my .Net, my DirectX, my vid drivers.When I do the registerdll it also gives an error. Please help as I cannot figure out what the issue is. Here is my dxdiag.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Keith

Postby Keith » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:29 pm

Your dxdiag.txt looks fine. Let's start with the basics, since you are having a problem getting it installed.

I would advise you to unisntall the game. Then do a disk cleanup via the All Programs > Accessories > System Tools. I would also suggest a defragmentation even if it says you really don't need to do so.

In the "cleanup" step, be sure that the temporary (TEMP) files option has a check mark in the box next to it on the things that will be cleaned up before you run the cleanup.

You can run the NetFrame installer from the Caesar IV disc without having it do so during the game install. You may want to try installing NetFramework 2.0 before you install the game. You can do it from the Autostart menu that comes up when you put in the disc or you can do it right from the disc itself in the following manner:

1. With the Caesar IV disc in the drive, and the game or automenu not running, use My Computer to OPEN the list of files on the disc in the drive that you have the disc in. If you have the disc in drive D:, right click on drive D: in My Computer and select OPEN from the menu.

2. Double click on the dotnetfx.exe file on the list of files displayed.

Then when NetFramework 2.0 is installed try installing the game.

You may even want to shut down your virus scanner before installing NetFramework and the game.

Another thing you can do before installing is to reboot to the Windows Safe Mode desktop and install NetFramework and the game from there then reboot back to the normal desktop.

As long as your copy of XP is valid registered copy you can even use a online site provided by Microsoft that will do a number of system checks and cleanup for you. I use the site myself frequently.

The Microsoft Live Safety Center is a online site where you can have it do a Full Service, Cleanup or Tuneup scan of your computer. You may want to have it do a Full Scan, which will take a couple of hours to finish depending on your system and hard drive capacity. A full scan will check all the system files, do a virus scan, eliminate internet temporary and old temp files, and do the cleanup and tuneup all in one sitting.

The site is completely safe. I've been using it for over two years without a single problem. I use it periodically to check on my computer and keep it up to snuff.

If you still have a problem installing the game after this then it's something on your sytem interfering with the installer, such as old out of date CD/DVD drivers or firmware, a bad CD/DVD drive, some background software running, etc.

You can also try installing the game from a second CD/DVD drive if your computer has one.

makar40

Postby makar40 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:39 am

well, the thing is, is Ive installed net framework 2.0 and all that..several times infact lol. I already had it installed, along with c++ runtime libraries, but figured maybe it got corrupted. Even after like 80 re-installs of those it still doesnt work.
The ONLY thing I can think of at this point was I had Alchohol/Daemon tools installed on my comp because I like to use disc images, but I wasnt using a disc image for C4. I know C4 copy protection does NOT like those programs, and Ive completely uninstalled them and rebooted and everything but it STILL gives me these errors even after uninstalling Alchohol/Daemon tools, doing a reboot and then uninstalling and reinstalling C4....Im just at a loss.

mouse

Postby mouse » Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:20 pm

Sorry I've never seen a DX diag text file look like yours without any formating. Maybe if you could run the diag again and use the save button and upload the file you saved again.
If you've done all of the things Keith suggested then maybe a new DX file would allow the rest of us to try to help you.

David M kendrick

Solving the C++ problem

Postby David M kendrick » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:28 pm

The C++ runtime error occurs only if you run Caesar IV above any OS over Windows XP Service pack 2, you therefore need to run the program in compatibility mode on Windows 7/8 machines. I believe this was due to new developments in Vista onwards and the last patch for the game being released in 2007.

floridafairy

choppy run

Postby floridafairy » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:34 pm

I have installed the game through gamefly. The game is installed, but runs very slow and choppy........... any input to help me?

Keith

Postby Keith » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:53 pm

I did a quick search on Gamefly.com and couldn't find Caesar IV listed. Their search engine returned zero results and it is not listed among the games starting with a "C".

Tilted Mill doesn't supply official tech support for Caesar IV. Sierra, now defunct, owned Caesar IV and provided the tech support. There is no official support available any longer for Caesar IV or 99% of the games originally sold by Sierra.

All you can get here is community support from other players.

With all that said, what are your system specs. What version Windows are you running?

You should run dxdiag, which will generate a report of what your system is like. SAVE AS the results to a file and then paste the results to the next reply. Or, if you have a place like a SkyDrive account at Microsoft (recommended) upload a copy of the dxdiag.txt report to the public folder in your account (free account) and give us the link to that file so we can download it and look it over.

From the sounds of things you may have your graphic settings set too high. Also, too many in game sounds, music, etc. could effect the way the game runs on some systems.

I would first try to reduce all the graphic and music settings to minimums in every category in the Settings VIDEO and AUDIO menus. Then try running the game to see if it runs okay.

Be sure you have DirectX 9.0c installed on your computer. The game also needs NET Framework 2.0 installed (Microsoft). The disc version of the game had them both in folders on the disc.

floridafairy

thanks

Postby floridafairy » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:03 pm

I checked the settings for the game and they were all on high resolution, settings etc. I set them to normal and the game is running fine now. I did upload the dxdir file to skydrive anyway - I think I uploaded them okay.

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=29017D67D7190A33!106

Now if I can just get a good manual on how to do things like hook the aquaducts up to the bath house, etc I will be okay I think. The game tutorial isn't real good about explaining how to do that. I ran the aquaduct right to the bathhouse but it won't run. Fountain won't run either........... :(

Keith

Postby Keith » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:18 pm

Herodotus covered the essential points of what you need to do. Let me ask you this, did you play through the Kingdom portion of the campaign game?

That's the narrated tutorial of the game. The narrator explains how to do the basic building steps of the game and it should make things clearer for you. PAY ATTENTION TO THE NARRATOR.

If you jumped right in, and started playing the scenarios in the "sandbox" mode you'll miss out on a lot of the basics and will most likely struggle.

As for your previous problem, I looked at your dxdiag.txt file and it is as I thought it might be, your graphics engine isn't the most capable for playing games on high graphic settings. You have a internal graphics chipset on the motherboard of the computer running things and not a true graphics card like NVidia or ATI.

The graphics chipsets are good for basic graphic needs and text processing, etc., but they generally don't have the power to handle high end graphics. So you lowering the graphic settings in the game as you did you lessened the graphics load on your system.

If you play a lot of games, it is better to have a computer system that accommodates a graphics card. In some systems that use a chipset for graphics, such as yours, it may NOT be possible to install a graphics card. Often those kinds of systems do not have a slot for a graphics card on the motherboard. Some do, some don't.

Return to “Community Technical Support”