The dreaded white screen of doom

For technical or performance related issues
brownbess5000

The dreaded white screen of doom

Postby brownbess5000 » Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:14 am

Hi folks

I'm brand new here, and brand new to Ceasar IV. I believe all of my machine's attributes match those required, so I installed the game. Everything went fine until I tried to run it. The screen is completely white, except the mouse cursor shows up as a gold coloured hand. The sounds and music play normally in the back ground.

I'm assuming that this is a video related issue. Anyone experience anything similar? Any hints as to how to fix it? Thanks

Amun Nefer
Location: New York, New York! If I can make it here--I'll make it-Anywhere! It's up to you New York, New York!

Postby Amun Nefer » Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:26 am

Pffft... The White Screen of Doom is nothing compared to the Blue Screen of Death. :p

Welcome btw! :D

You'll need to put up your dxdiag, that way either the very loveable mouse, Phil Walker, Keith, Manni or Rnett can help you. :) (although you're probably missing some files as a result of the evil of Windows Vista and DX10, in which case you would need to download DX9 again. :D )

Keith

Postby Keith » Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:31 am

Yes, please attach a copy of your dxdiag.txt file to the next reply in this thread.

If you aren't sure how to make one, click START > RUN and type in "dxdiag" in the box without quotes. Click OK. Wait for the program to finish scanning your system then click the SAVE ALL INFORMATION button.

Save the file to a place where it is easy to find such as My Documents.

To attach the file, open a new reply in this thread. Type whatever message you want to add, but DO NOT click SUBMIT, yet. Scroll down a bit and click on Manage Attachments.

In the attachments window click on BROWSE and find the dxdiag.txt file you created and select it. Then Click UPLOAD. Once it has uploaded close the attachment window.

Click SUBMIT and your reply and file will be added to the board.
Last edited by Keith on Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Amun Nefer
Location: New York, New York! If I can make it here--I'll make it-Anywhere! It's up to you New York, New York!

Postby Amun Nefer » Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:53 am

Very clear and well-stated Keith. :)

brownbess5000

dxdiag

Postby brownbess5000 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:17 pm

Thanks folks for the quick and thorough instructions. I'm attaching the results of the dxdiag for this machine. Hope you can help with this issue.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rnett

Postby Rnett » Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:32 pm

Better video card and more Ram would improve things.

Amun Nefer

Postby Amun Nefer » Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:57 pm

Or he could get better RAM and if there's shared memory that will kill two birds with one stone. :D

Keith

Postby Keith » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:01 am

Caesar IV requires a video card that has at least 64MB of memory, and it has to be able to support T&L effects. Your video setup appears to be too old (not DX9 compliant) and it has too little memory. It looks to be a video chipset instead of a actual video card.

Part of your 1GB RAM is being shared with the video chipset leaving 992MB for system use.

If your computer has a AGP slot for video cards, you should invest ine a DX9 compliant video card like a nVidia 7600GS or higher, or a ATI Radeon 9550 or higher.

knowwhat

Postby knowwhat » Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:02 am

I am hoping someone might see this posting, even though the thread is a few months old . . . game worked beautifully for me for years. Just had my computer shop (yes, I am one of THOSE dummies) re-install Windows XP, and now I get the white screen when I try to give the game my activation code. Any ideas?? I am attaching the dxdiag file, since that seems to be critical!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

knowwhat

Postby knowwhat » Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:08 am

Upon further reading, I am not sure I am getting the "White Screen of Doom" others are referring to. After installing the game, I start it, give the activation code, and get a window that is all white, with the following header: https://fe.trymedia.com/magnus/get_bbyet_license.html. Hoping this helps generate some ideas. Thank you!!

mouse

Postby mouse » Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:26 am

Posting in two old threads is not a good idea rather a new thread for your problem would be best. Since in this thread you posted your DX diag you can see your video card driver is from 2006 which is too old as I told you in the other thread.

knowwhat

Postby knowwhat » Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:50 am

Thanks Mouse. I am way too much of a dummy on computers to know how old my card is, etc. The computer is only about 18 months old. Why did the game work up until Windows XP was re-installed yesterday? No hardware was changed.

PantherX

Postby PantherX » Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:34 am

Because the installer did not update the drivers to current versions. ;)

I suggest to load explorer and get all the windows updates. Then goto the Audio and Video card's websites and get the latest drivers.
:cool:

Keith

Postby Keith » Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:35 pm

"knowwhat" wrote:Upon further reading, I am not sure I am getting the "White Screen of Doom" others are referring to. After installing the game, I start it, give the activation code, and get a window that is all white, with the following header: https://fe.trymedia.com/magnus/get_bbyet_license.html. Hoping this helps generate some ideas. Thank you!!

Digital download versions of Caesar IV get their support from the download vendor. In your case, this would be TryMedia.com. The reason being that the vendor usually alters the game code to make the game run without a CD in the drive, etc.

So be sure you contact trymedia.com support to see if they can help you out.

knowwhat

Postby knowwhat » Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:57 pm

I have already contacted Trymedia, they have been NO HELP at all. That's why I thought I would try here. Thanks though!

kamranh

Postby kamranh » Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:37 am

Hi can someone help me with the same problem. i am uploading the dxdialogue of my computer, its quite old, i think it maybe the grafix card thats the problem. if so, anyone know what grafix card i could buy for this system. have been a big fan of caesar...love the game!

Keith

Postby Keith » Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:13 am

Card name: Intel(R) 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller

There's your problem. The graphics controler is the onboard type and not up to the job. Some later Intel chipsets in the 865G or M series may have a chance of running the game but the 845G series doesn't support the graphic features that the game is looking for. Usually the features that are lacking are Transformation & Lighting (T&L) and/or Pixel Shader.

If your computer has a AGP or PCI-express slot for a video card you may want to consider getting a nVidia or ATI type video card and installing it. If your system does not have either of those types of slots then you are pretty much limited on the types of games you may be able to run.

There is a website that will test your system against the requirements of many type of games. It will tell you what your system may be lacking in regards to the ability to run a specific game.

http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri

kamranh

Postby kamranh » Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:37 pm

Thanks mate, i don't think i have the AGP Slots or the PCI Express Slots but I'm not too sure, i definitely have PCI slots, but that's about it, time to invest in a new desktop/laptop? I'm looking at the Zotac GeForce FX5200 PCI version, do you reckon this would be compatible with the game?

Really want to play this game.

Cheers anyway.

I have a problem loading Caesar III too, it says that the there's a missing disc when i already have the disc running in the CD ROM drive. Original copy as well, got it with my earlier Packard Bell Computer.
Last edited by kamranh on Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Keith

Postby Keith » Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:33 pm

The problem with the PB version of Caesar III is that it can only be played on the original PC that it came with.

The geniuses at Packard Bell altered the game to look for a special hidden file that resided on your old PC. As long as it could find that file with the original Windows the system it came with the game would work.

However, if you installed a new version of Windows on the Packard Bell PC, or even if you installed the same Windows version but not one that came from Packard Bell, or if you tried installing the game on a new PC the game stopped working because it could not find the hidden file. That's all Packard Bell's doing. So you probably going to be out of luck with Caesar III regardless of what computer you buy.

You'd have to find yourself a non-Packard Bell version of the game somewhere to play it on any other PC or a new install of Windows. The game is going to be very hard to find by itself. You may find it in one of the packaged games that came out over the years, Great Empires Collection, Great Empires Collect 2, and Greatest Builders of Empires. All of these may be equally hard to find now.

The standard FX5200 card frm nVidia should be able to run the game on a desktop PC. I'm not so sure abut the 5200 mobile version on a laptop.

Cards from the newer 7000 series from nVidia should have no problem, such as the nVidia 7600GS, which is what I have on my desktop system. A nVidia 6600 ultra could also do well. Or a ATI card in the 9500 to 9800 series, 800-1600 series or newer.

I originally had ATI Radeon 9800 pro card in this system until it died and it was replaced with the nVidia 7600GS under a warranty program.

There are cards made for the old old style PCI slots but their performance is limited by that slot and quite slow. Not the best for gaming if it works at all.

AGP slots are the better way to go, and even they have been superceeded by the newer PCI-express (PCIe) 16-bit slots that faster than AGP. Most new computers come with the PCIe only video card slots now.

All-in-all, your best move would be to invest in a new desktop PC made for gaming if you want to play games. Laptops have too many problems, although there are some topend expensive models made for gaming.

Return to “Community Technical Support”