Caesar IV "Game Exception" Please Help!!

For technical or performance related issues
Ashantai

Caesar IV "Game Exception" Please Help!!

Postby Ashantai » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:59 am

Hello all,

I have the retail version of Caesar IV which I love and have played for years. I recently got a new computer and have gone Mac- I have a Macbook Pro with both OSX and Windows 7 32-bit operating systems on it. I installed Windows 7 specifically so I could play my Sierra games! I'm able to play Pharaoh/Cleopatra fine, but when I try to play Caesar IV, I get the following error message:

Game Exception
Unhandled exception: n/a
Type: class TMill::Engine: :D 3D: :D eviceManagerException
File: C:\TMill\Source\Engine\D3DDeviceManager.cpp
Function: TMill::Engine: :D 3D: :D eviceManager::ChangeDevice
Line: 348

I've looked around on these forums but I haven't been able to get any help from any previous posters. I find it amazing that my brand new laptop can't run a game that's several years old, when my old crappy $500 PC could, so I think I must be doing something wrong!

I really hope someone can help me. Thanks!!!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Ashantai on Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

mouse

Postby mouse » Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:14 pm

Did you install DX 9 even though you have DX 11 there are some files needed that you can only get by installing DX 9c.

Keith

Postby Keith » Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:31 pm

Card name: Standard VGA Graphics Adapter

You only have a standard VGA graphics adapter in your computer, which doesn't support 3D graphics. That is the gist of the error message that you are seeing.

You need a DX9 compliant video card or graphics system which will support 3D graphics, pixel shaders, transformation & lighting, and other DX9 graphics features. Without it you'll probably seem more 3D games giving you the same error message.

And as noted above, you probably don't have DX9 installed, which Caesar IV and COTN require. DX10 & 11 won't cut it usually as they lack some essential files from DX9.

The game also requires the install of Net Framework 2.0 which comes on the Caesar IV install disc.

Ashantai

Postby Ashantai » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:50 pm

Can I have Divx 9 installed simultaneously with Divx 11 or do I need to uninstall Divx 11? And if I install Divx 9 and Net Framework 2.0 will I then be able to play, or will I still get the same error message because I only have the VGA graphics adaptor? I don't play any other games other than the Sims 2 (works fine) and these ones, I'm not a big gamer, so I'm not worried about other 3D games, but I really want to play Caesar IV!! :)

Keith

Postby Keith » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:47 pm

The error message you posted is mainly due to that fact that you do not have a proper video card.

If you manage to correct that assuming your computer allows for a installation of a "mobile" version of a ATI or nVidia DX9 compliant graphics card, the problem you may run into is that you'll need DX9 installed and Net Framework 2.0.

You can install DX9 with DX10 or 11. You cannot uninstall DirectX because it is part of Windows, so you can't uninstall DX11.

Your main problem right now is that your video setup is not sufficient to run the game.

Ashantai

Postby Ashantai » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:42 am

Okay, thanks... definitely disappointing, but I guess that's it. It's really not feasible for me to put a new video card in my macbook, but it's crazy that this game will not run at all when I can run newer games like Sims 3, which also have a lot of graphics. There is no way to run it at reduced graphics, is there? I would settle for that... otherwise I guess it's back to Caesar III and Pharaoh! But they get old fast. :P

Keith

Postby Keith » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:38 am

No, you really need a compliant DX9 video card that supports the graphic features the game requires. Not all games, i.e., Sims3, require the same graphic features.

VGA graphics are basic level graphics. These were the highend graphics from about 20 years ago, but have been surpassed by newer video standards. VGA works fine for things like text and may work for some games but most 3D games are going to demand more than your VGA adapter can supply.

supmov

Postby supmov » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:10 pm

"Card name: Standard VGA Graphics Adapter
Manufacturer: (Standard display types)
Chip type: NVIDIA"

Your videocard is not installed.
Check the model and get the last drivers:
http://www.nvidia.com

;)

Return to “Community Technical Support”