Caesar IV C++ Runtime Error

For technical or performance related issues
normansymons

Caesar IV C++ Runtime Error

Postby normansymons » Thu May 20, 2010 9:46 am

Hi there,

I purchased Caesar IV a couple of years ago and have enjoyed playing it on my computer. Recently however, my system crashed and I had to restore my computer back to its factory settings. I have since uninstalled and re-installed Caesar IV.

Each time I try to start the game, I get this Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Error Message. Lokking at other posts, I've attached my DxDiag.txt here.

I'm not much of a tech wizz so, any step by step responses to fix this will be much appreciated.

Kind regards,
Norman
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Keith

Postby Keith » Thu May 20, 2010 10:24 am

If the game ran before with your current video card drivers and such it should run again. So no changes there unless you changed video or audio drivers since the time the game actually ran.

The first thing I would try is to have you run the registerdll.bat file in the Caesar IV install folder. Sometimes the dll files used by the game do not get properly registered in the system registry file during install. This batch file will force their registration.

The following is the info from the official knowledgebase tech files that used to be available on Sierra before they closed up shop on "Game crashes and followed by Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library: Runtime Error" problem:
Summary #1946
Game crashes and followed by Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library: Runtime Error

Answer #1946
Please check for the following:

A. Make sure the game's minimum system requirements are met against your computer system. The minimum requirements for the game can usually be found on the bottom or the back of the box. For your convenience, they are included below.
If you do not meet all of the game's minimum requirements, it will not run correctly on your computer.

Minimum System Requirements:
Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 1.6 GHz or equivalent AMD(R) Athlon(TM) processor or higher
Windows(R) 2000/Windows XP Home or Professional (including Service Pack 2)
512 MB of RAM
64 MB video card (with Hardware T&L including Pixel Shader 1.1 or higher support)
2.0 GB of free hard disk space
CD-ROM Drive
DirectX(R) 9.0c

B. If your system meets the game requirements, try loading your latest autosave or restarting the scenario, this may solve the issue.
Please continue troubleshooting if problem persist, following the steps as outlined.

1. Please install latest Directx9.0c, the .NET 2.0 and MySQL ODBC Connector software provided with the game CD.

Insert Caesar IV Disc1 into your CD/DVD drive and, once the Autorun screen appears, click on the Install button for each application (one at a time) to begin the installation process.
If the AutoRun screen does not appear automatically within a reasonable amount of time, double click the My Computer icon on your Windows desktop, and then open your CD/DVD ROM icon where the game disc is located.

-Install "DirectX9.0c" by going into the DirectX9.0c folder and then double-click on DXSetup. Follow the on-screen prompts to complete the installation.

-Install the ".NET 2.0" by double-clicking on dotnetfx.exe file and then follow the on-screen prompts to complete the installation.

-Install the "MySQL(R) ODBC Connector" by double-clicking on the“Setup ODBC.msi” file and follow the on-screen prompts to complete the installation.

Run the game after the above applications are installed.

2. Run the registerdll.bat file located in the Caesar IV default installation folder.

To do that:
-Right-Click on Caesar IV shortcut icon on your Desktop and select Properties.

-Click on Find Target

-Locate and Double-Click on registerdll.bat file then press any key.
Try running the game again.

3. Close applications that you may have running on your system such as screen savers, virus scanners, etc.

To prevent extra applications and services from loading during startup please use the steps below:

-Click Start button then Run

-In the box type MSCONFIG and click OK.

-Select the Startup tab and then click Disable All button to uncheck these items.

-Click OK. When you are prompted to restart, click on YES.

-Upon reboot, your startup applications will not start, please try running the game.

To undo the above changes:

-Click Start then Run

-In the box type MSCONFIG and click OK.

-This will bring up the System Configuration Utility.

-On the general tab, click the dot next to Normal Startup.

-Click OK. When you are prompted to restart, click on YES.

This will restart your computer with all the background applications re-enabled.

4. Update the video and sound card drivers.

A cause of many problems is outdated or incompatible driver software for the video or sound card. Be sure to contact your system manufacturers and download the latest drivers for your video, sound and other hardware.

Updates are available from your system manufacturer (such as Acer or HP) or the individual hardware manufacturers (such as ATI or Soundblaster)

Try running the game after all driver updates.

5. Set your desktop to a resolution of 800x600, 32 bit True Color.
If it’s already set that setting, please set to 1024x768, 32 bit True Color.

-Right-click on your desktop and select Properties.

-Click the Settings tab.

-Set your screen area to 800x600.

-Set the colors to 32 Bit (True Color).

-Click Apply and OK.

6. Download and install the latest game update.

Run the game after it’s been updated to the latest version.

7. You may encounter errors if your virtual memory setting is being set to custom settings and set to low. See below to check and modify your computer’s virtual memory settings.

First, select system managed size to let Windows manage the system virtual memory as needed.

-Right-click on your My Computer icon and Click Properties.

-Now click Advanced Tab, click the first Settings button under Performance.

-Click the Advanced tab and click the Change button under Virtual Memory.

-Select system managed size and click OK.

-Restart the Computer and try the game.

If your settings are already systems default, then please try to increase your virtual memory (or paging file) to have at least a minimum of 768MB of memory with a maximum of about 1.5GB.

Ideally, it should be a minimum of 1 – 1.5GB to 2.5 – 3GB depending on your resource needs and what other applications you run.

8. At this point try uninstalling the game. But before you uninstall the game, if you have some saved games that you would like to keep, copy those from: "Online Saved Games" and “Saved Game" folders located in the directory: C:\Program Files\Sierra\Caesar IV\Data.

After you've copied your saved games, please Uninstall Caesar IV from: Start\Programs\Sierra\Caesar IV\Uninstall Caesar IV or Control Panel/Add/Remove Programs. Next step is to delete Caesar IV folder.

-Go to My Computer icon; locate your hard disk drive C,

-Open Program Files folder and then open Sierra folder.

-Right-Click on Caesar IV folder and select Delete.

Now that the folder has been removed please insert CD1 into your CD/DVD drive and click on Install from Autorun screen and follow the prompt to install the game.

Run the game after it’s been installed and computer has been restarted.
Last edited by Keith on Thu May 20, 2010 10:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

normansymons

No Success

Postby normansymons » Fri May 21, 2010 4:30 am

Hi Keith,

Thankyou for the reply. Ive tried every step but so far, I still get the same message. I've updated all my drivers, and gone through the process twice but to no success :(

Is there anything else I can do?

Norman

Keith

Postby Keith » Fri May 21, 2010 12:16 pm

Clean up your system a bit by removing temporary files by running the Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Cleanup utility. Once it has scanned your system you can check off most of the boxes to indicate what items are going to removed. Click OK and YES to confirm the deletion.

These are suggestions so don't do any of them that you aren't comfortable with. If you have any questions before attempting one be sure to ask and wait for a reply. Do one step at a time and try the game afterwards before moving on.

Make sure you are installing and attempting to run the game using a Windows user account that has admin priviledges on your system.

Locate the CaesarIV.exe file in the install folder. Then right click on it. Choose "Run As..." on the popup menu. If you are using a non-admin account to run the game check the button next to "The following user" and then set the option below that so the word "Administrator" shows. Click OK to close the menu box.

Try disabling your virus scanner before you launch the game.

If you have any programs like Alcohol %120, Anti-Blaax, Daemon Tools, etc. installed disable or remove them then try running the game.

Be sure your game is the latest versions, 1.2.0.0. Right click on the CaesarIV.exe file, then choose Properties. Click on the Version tab to see the version number. If it is not 1.2, obtain and install the 1.2 patch for your language version of the game. The language version of the game and the patch must match. U.K. and U.S. (North American) english are considered two different versions.

Find the patch might be a bit difficult since Sierra closed up and merged with Electronic Arts last year. You can probably find the patch on the Caesar IV Heaven Games website. If not let me know, I saved most of the language version patch files on the Sierra server to a disc before Sierra shut it down.

Your system may have a damaged or missing Visual C++ dll files. You can download this package from Microsoft for systems that need the C++ dll files but don't have Visual C++ installed.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=9B2DA534-3E03-4391-8A4D-074B9F2BC1BF&displaylang=en

In Windows XP
Click Start , and then click Run . Type appwiz.cpl , and then click OK .
b. Locate Microsoft Visual C++ in the list of installed programs.
c. In Windows Vista
Click Microsoft Visual C++, and then click Uninstall .
In Windows XP
Click Microsoft Visual C++, and then click Remove .
Note If you cannot find Microsoft Visual C++ in the installed programs list, go to step 2
d. Follow the steps to remove the software.

2. Download and then install the latest Visual C++ runtime. To do this, follow these steps: a. Visit the following Microsoft Web site:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/Search.aspx
b. In the search box next to All Downloads , type Microsoft Visual C++ package , and then click Go .
c. In the search results, click the Visual C++ Redistributable Package for your operating system.
Note The x86 version of the package is for 32-bit version of Windows. The X64 version of the package is for 64-bit version of Windows.
d. On the page that opens, click Download , and then save the file to your Desktop.
e. When the download is complete, double-click the executable file.
f. Follow the directions that are displayed. When you are prompted, restart the computer.

There is a Visual C++ update pack located here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=D466226B-8DAB-445F-A7B4-448B326C48E7&displaylang=en

Obtain and run a registry cleaner like RegSeeker (free) or CCleaner (free version). Make sure you understand how to use the program.

RegSeeker will break the items it finds down in to "green" and "red" results. Green results are ones you can usually remove without any problems to your system or other programs. Removing Red results can sometimes effect other programs that might share a file on your system. Best to stick with green entries for rookies. See attached file below.

If you use RegSeeker, it's at your own risk. You should always backup your registry before you do anything, because if something happens to that registry your computer could stop working. To backup the registry, click START then RUN. Type in the box: regedit and click OK. Under the FILE option on the regedit menu, choose EXPORT and set the destination for the save file to your Windows Desktop or to My Documents. Give the save file a name and proceed. Exit RegEdit.

Download, install, and run RegSeeker. Read the README.TXT file for the program and understand it.

In the lower left corner of the RegSeeker screen check the box next to "backup before deletion" so that it is marked. Click the menu opttion to Clean the Registry. On the next menu screen check all the boxes in the "Keys" section and click OK. Let the program run.

When the program has completed its scan select one of the "green" listed times and right click on it and then click on "Remove all green items." As long as the backup box is checked in the lower left corner, backups of these items will be made and stored in the RegSeeker install folder so they can be put back in if you need to restore things later.

I use RegSeeker myself. I've never had to restore any of the backed up files that have been cleaned, but there is always a first time.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

normansymons

Postby normansymons » Tue May 25, 2010 10:48 am

Hi Keith,

I've tried following your steps. When I find the CaesarIV.exe file in the install folder, I select "Run As" (Administrator) on the pop up menu and this message shows up.

"Please insert the original disc instead of a backup. See http://www.securom.com/no_orig_found for more details."

These are the original discs I purchased with the box and I've been using them for the past 2 years without problems. It even came with the key code! I don't understand.

When I check the file version, it is 1.0, NOT 1.2. How do I get the latest patch. How do I find out which language version I've got (UK or US)?

I have also downloaded the latest Microsoft Visual C++ (2008).

How do I proceed from here?

Keith

Postby Keith » Tue May 25, 2010 2:31 pm

You can find find the patch at Caesar IV Heaven. Since you are in Australia you want the second file listed which is 28MB. This will update the game from 1.0 directly to 1.2. Your game is probably the U.K. english version which was sold overseas through Sega. Is your game box marked "Sega" somewhere?

Did you try the steps found in that SecuRom help page link? If not do so.

If you did try the SecuRom steps and get the "insert original disc" message, it is possible that CD/DVD drive hardware you are using is developing a problem and may be having trouble reading the disc. Hardware does go bad. The drive may no longer be spinning at the proper speed as it once did or there may be some other mechanical problem developing.

If you have a different CD/DVD drive try using that one.

You can also try installing the game on a different computer to check whether or not it is your system CD/DVD drive or the disc. If it fails to install on a second system with the same error message it might be the discs are going bad or have been damaged in someway.

normansymons

Postby normansymons » Wed May 26, 2010 6:14 am

Hi Keith,

I've tried the steps and now i get a new message when I try to "run as" administrator.

"Caesar IV release.exe No Disc inserted. Please insert the original "CaesarIV CaesarIV release.exe" CD/DVD"

If I try to run it off straight from the disc...it reads ok ( ie: eject cd and insert cd again; or read directly from My Computer). It dosen't like to "run as" administrator it seems.

Norman

Keith

Postby Keith » Wed May 26, 2010 9:43 am

Obiviously there is something running on your system that the security software from SecuROM doesn't like.

Download the SecuROM™ Diagnostics Tool

Please download the SecuROM™ Diagnostics Tool and run it on your PC to resolve any potential SecuROM™ related issues you are experiencing. You can download the Diagnostic Tool from here:

If you need help installing or running the SecuROM™ Diagnostics Tool, you can find detailed step-by-step instructions by choosing one of the following topics:

» Standard instructions to create a SecuROM™ analysis file

1. Make sure the original disc (play or launch disc) is in a local CD or DVD-ROM drive.
  2. Please reboot your computer and do not start any additional applications.
  3. "Right-click" (click the right button of your mouse) on the desktop shortcut or the actual executable.
  4. A dialog menu will appear. Choose "Launch Analysis" from the menu choices.
  5. After selecting "Launch Analysis," a disclaimer window will appear.
  6. To proceed, please click onto the "Yes" button.
  7. XP USERS: Your 'AnalysisLog.sr0' file will be saved to the root of your C:/ drive. To get there, locate 'My Computer', open your C:/ drive and you will see 'AnalysisLog.sr0'.

VISTA USERS: Your 'AnalysisLog.sr0' file will be stored in the following path:

'C:\Users\?YOUR USER?\Desktop\AnalysisLog.sr0'. If by chance this folder is hidden, you may have to display hidden folders. To do so, please follow these steps:

1. Go to 'Start' and left-click on 'Control Panel'.
    2. Left-click on 'Appearance and Personalization'. Then select 'Folder Options'.
    3. Now select the 'View' tab, then select 'Show hidden files and folders'. You should now have access to the folder.
  8. Please compress the file using a program such as WinZip or WinRAR (to avoid email corruption) and send us this file as an attachment together with a description of your problem (e.g. with screenshots, further details), support@securom.com.
» Alternative instructions to create a SecuROM™ analysis file

If you can't perform the right-click procedure, please follow these steps:

1. Make sure the original disc (play or launch disc) is in a local CD or DVD-ROM drive.
  2. Please reboot your computer and do not start any additional applications.
  3. Locate your game executable, and "Right-click" with your mouse on this file.
  4. You will receive a drop down menu. Go down to 'properties'.
  5. Next, you will be copying the already highlighted TARGET information. To do this, on your keyboard, select CTRL & C to copy this information.
In the email text describe the exact error messages, and give a summation of what you have tried. In the email title include the name "Caesar IV".
Last edited by Keith on Wed May 26, 2010 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Community Technical Support”