Caesar IV will not start

For technical or performance related issues
Laphtiya

Caesar IV will not start

Postby Laphtiya » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:44 pm

Hi all,

I've recently purchased a copy of Caesar IV (direct download) and I am unable to start the game at all. I have Windows 7 64 Bit SP1 (fully updated) and basically what happens is the exe file appears in the task manager CPU does some action then all of a sudden it closes the file. Nothing shows up on screen or in the task bar, zero action anywhere.

Things I've tried:
The game version is 1.2
Uninstalled and reinstall under xp compatibility mode and as administrator.
Ran the game as admin and in various compatibility modes
Installed DX9
Reinstalled under normal conditions different directory
Ran the game normally

Not sure what else I could do here, any advice would be fantastic. It is slightly annoying as the older children of the nile runs perfectly on this system, I am completely confused.

Keith

Postby Keith » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:17 am

I have Windows 8 and found that Windows 8 and 7 share many features, but I am not sure it has what I am about to suggest.

See if Windows 7 has a Program Compatibility Troubleshooter (Win 8 has it).

..... I guess it does, as I just found this at Microsoft:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/open-the-program-compatibility-troubleshooter

Once you have the PCT open, see if Caesar IV is listed on the list of programs it displays. If it is try that first. Let it do its thing. You may have to run it in the Windows administrator mode.

If that doesn't get the game running, try the PCT again, but this time at the top of the program list use the "Not Listed" option. Then BROWSE to the CAESARIV.EXE in the install folder and select it. Let PCT do its thing again.

I had to use the PCT on my Windows 8 setup to get Caesar IV running and it was the "Not Listed" procedure that got it running for me.

Laphtiya

Postby Laphtiya » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:00 pm

Hi thanks for the response, I tried this with no joy. The exe hands in task manager before closing once again, I'll try giving it a reinstall using the settings that the PCT reccomends and see if that makes any changes.

Keith

Postby Keith » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:18 pm

Try uninstalling the game.

Then use the PCT to run the SETUP.EXE on the install disc to install the game.

Then use the PCT on the CaesarIV.EXE.

Try using the "Not Listed" method for both steps.

Did you also install .NET Framework from the game disc? Normally this is done from the game's main menu once it is running, but you may be able to do it from the disc beforehand.

The file you would be looking for there is the "dotnetfx.exe" on the disc.

I didn't have to do that myself, as I was able to get into the main menu of the game and install from there.

I assume that the game is being installed in the Program Files (x86) folder.

If you are using a custom install path, try installing the game to the one it wants to use (default) in the installer.

Laphtiya

Postby Laphtiya » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:33 am

"Keith" wrote:Try uninstalling the game.

Then use the PCT to run the SETUP.EXE on the install disc to install the game.

Then use the PCT on the CaesarIV.EXE.

Try using the "Not Listed" method for both steps.

Did you also install .NET Framework from the game disc? Normally this is done from the game's main menu once it is running, but you may be able to do it from the disc beforehand.

The file you would be looking for there is the "dotnetfx.exe" on the disc.

I didn't have to do that myself, as I was able to get into the main menu of the game and install from there.

I assume that the game is being installed in the Program Files (x86) folder.

If you are using a custom install path, try installing the game to the one it wants to use (default) in the installer.

This was a digital download but I do remember seeings a dotnetfix.exe in the game directory I'll try installing that first before I run the uninstall then reinstall. I'll let you know how it goes, thanks for the advice its much appreciated.

Keith

Postby Keith » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:41 am

Yes, the game requires that you have .NET Framework installed or it won't run properly if at all. So that might be it if you didn't install it already.

Laphtiya

Postby Laphtiya » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:51 pm

I tried the dotnetfix it says it is not supported on 64bit OS

However when downloading .net framework 2.0 x64 it states that this is already a part of my OS
Last edited by Laphtiya on Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Keith

Postby Keith » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:57 pm

You mean "dotnetfx.exe" on the disc? There is no "dotnetfix".

If all else fails, you can get .NET Frame directly from Microsoft.

Laphtiya

Postby Laphtiya » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:03 pm

Yeah thats the one, and the one I got direct from microsoft as I said states that it is already a part of my OS

Keith

Postby Keith » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:43 pm

Ok, you can't argue with that. :)

Return to “Community Technical Support”