Don't change compatibility modes when playing Caesar IV

For technical or performance related issues
Keith

Don't change compatibility modes when playing Caesar IV

Postby Keith » Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:22 am

I have Win8.1 and have had C4 installed on it for some time. I recently had a HD crash and had to reinstall C4. I manually set the exe file's properties to Windows Vista Sp2 mode. It had been working fine.

While playing to night I had one of those annoying "Caesar IV has stopped running" messages and dropped to the desktop. While there I decided to run the Program Compatibility Tool and set my mode to WinXP SP3 compatibility.

However, when I restarted the game I was surprised to see that all of my Kingdom, Republic, and Empire saves were gone, as were all the autosave files.

So my advice is that if you have played C4 for a bit and made saves, back those saves up some place BEFORE you try changing the Compatibility mode or using the PCT utility.

shirley0910

Postby shirley0910 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:53 pm

Hey Keith..just got a new computer with windows 8.1 Tried to install ceasar 4 and it wouldn't let me do it..is there a walkthrough for installation of this? Its been a while since I've installed anything and I think my brain went to mush..lol. I'm DYING to play this but I don't know how to get it running. HELP ! and thanks !

Keith

Postby Keith » Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:39 pm

It should install, as it did for me. Is it that it won't "install" or is it that it won't run after the install?

Are you getting any error message?

What happens when you try to install?

You can try rebooting into the SAFE MODE ( http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/windows-startup-settings-including-safe-mode ) and installing Caesar IV from there. Then once installed reboot to normal mod and run the game. This quite often does the trick for problem installs.

Be sure to get the v1.2 patch for Caesar IV from the Caesar IV Heaven Games website ( http://caesar4.heavengames.com/downloads/lister.php?category=patches ). If you have the North American (U.S.) version 1.0 of the game installed, you will need the larger of the two English patches listed, which is about 28.9MB in size. Install the patch.

If the game installed, but won't run...

You may need to run the game through the Program Compatibility Troubleshooter program in the control panel.

From the Control Panel set for the "Large icon" view click on "Troubleshooting" then under Programs click on "Run programs made for previous versions of Windows."

On the PCT menu that pops up, click on Advanced and click on "Run as administrator". The "Apply repairs automatically" should already be checked but if it isn't put a check in the box. Click NEXT.

Look at the list of programs that comes up and see if Caesar 4 is on it. It probably won't be but if it is choose it first.

If it is not on the list scroll back to the top of the list and select "Not Listed".

Browse to the folder where Caesar IV is installed (C:\Program Files (x86)\Sierra\Caesar IV) and select the C4Exec.exe file and click OPEN then NEXT.

On the next menu select "Try recommended settings" first. Click TEST PROGRAM. If the program runs well, you are done.

If the program has problems starting up or running ( you may need to play it a bit ) rerun the PCT and instead of the recommended settings try the "Troubleshoot program".

My game is currently running under Windows Vista (Service Pack 2) mode.

You can also get to the PCT program from the program's Properties menu on the Compatibility tab. Just right click on the game desktop icon, select properties, click the compatibility tab, you'll find the "Run compatibility troubleshooter" button. You can also try other compatibility modes by checking the box to "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" and then choosing one of the Windows modes in the pull down menu below it.

Return to “Community Technical Support”