Aqueduct defensive wall cheat (Updated 3/25/2018)

Stuck and need help, or want to discuss strategy? This is the place!
Keith

Aqueduct defensive wall cheat (Updated 3/25/2018)

Postby Keith » Thu May 30, 2013 5:49 pm

My old post about the cheat I discovered long long ago is missing it's picture attachments due to several server moves. I found his cheat by accident while learning to play Caesar IV ver. 1.0 shortly after it came out.

This cheat will only protect walls and not gatehouses or towers.

When applied, I discovered that the enemy troops will not scale the wall.

1. Start with a normal wall section with gatehouse.
Image 1 download.

2. At the point where the wall connects to the tower, place a aqueduct pier so that it is toching the wall along the outside and the gatehouse in corner where the form a connection.
Image 2 download.

3. Do not drag the aqueduct. Instead place your cursor next to the first pier and double click to place a second pier by its side. You don't want them separated by a wide arch.
Image 3 download.

4. Continue placing single aqueduct piers next to each other along the outside of the wall until the wall is fully covered.
Image 4 download.

5. Make sure that each pier touches the outside of the wall. This cannot be done to gatehouses or towers that intersect the outside of the wall. They will remain vulnerable to rams and catapults. Enemy troops won't be able to scale your walls using this cheat. However towers inside are still vulnerable to catapults and gatehouses are vulnerable to rams. This will limit the ability of enemy troops to get into your city with walls reinforced this way. They can only breach where gatehouses and towers intersecting the outside of the wall. Keeping towers connected to just the inside of a wall is best. These aqueducts can also be used to transport water and can pass water through the wall to aqueducts connect to it on the inside.
Image 5 download.

A group of connected individually placed aqueduct piers can plug holes in walls that can't be filled by walls due to terrain like rocks, etc.
Plug hole in wall.

I have screen shots of this cheat and also a save game file of a invasion of Caesar's troops a Brundisium being thwarted by this cheat. This board won't accept these file for attachment to this post due to size or file type problems.
Caesar Invades!

Save game file of Brundisium.

Herodotus

Postby Herodotus » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:02 am

Keith, this question is not about aqueducts, but it seems a good place to ask as I know you're a fan.

I've been wondering about Skydrive as an image server -- ie as an alternative to Flickr etc.

Can you show images like these with IMG tags so they just appear in place here individually on the forum other than links to your Skydrive pages.

(I'm not asking for you to do it, just if it's possible. I don't want to sign up for no reason)

Keith

Postby Keith » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:34 am

From what I've determined it is possible, but you have no control over the size of the image as far as I know. It will show in it's original size.

If you go to the one of the images I have posted above, and right click on it on the SkyDrive page, you should get a list of options, one being "View Original".

Select that and a new browser window will popup with the image in it's original size. Then all you have to do is copy the URL from that browser window and paste it into the insert image function on this board.

I gave it a quick try and it seemed to work fine in my test.

If the message board uses or allows HTML code and not just BB code, you can use the EMBED function for the image. The embed function will generate a iframe code that will let you manually edit and adjust the size of the image.

Herodotus

Postby Herodotus » Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:45 pm

Thanks, Keith.

I opened an account and here is a test image. From what I can tell, the image must be in a public folder or the link will expire in a few minutes.
Can you let me know if you see it OK. And if you can, what does it tell you the "type" is when you right click it

EDIT: Image deleted, no longer needed
Last edited by Herodotus on Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:21 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Keith

Postby Keith » Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:32 pm

Yes, I see it. It's 1024x768 JPG. All things you want to share with others must be inside the PUBLIC folder. You can create new subfolders inside the Public folder if you need to for organizational purposes and they will be available to others.

Herodotus

Postby Herodotus » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:00 pm

Thanks,

When I tried this out 6 years ago, it was with the aqueduct hidden inside the wall. I'm not sure now whether the spacing of the piers was as you did it, and I can't tell now because if you demolish the wall to check you also demolish the aqueduct.
But with the aqueduct hidden, the enemy came over the top.

What happens on your map if you extend the wall to fully envelope the aqueduct. Do they climb over now?

Of course as it is a cheat, it is of academic interest only, as we want them to come over don't we? :D

Keith

Postby Keith » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:24 pm

If you didn't get the spacing right that might account for it. You have to place each pier individually and right next to the one before and after it. It may take a little practice because there is a lot of double-clicking involved.

My pics above were for illustration purposes only. I didn't build a city on the map, I just used it as the place to show how the cheat is implemented.

I originally discovered this cheat while playing Brundisium, the last city in the Kingdom tutorial. I don't recall what made me try it. I may have had a small section of wall that had a external aqueduct along it and through it and may have noticed that the enemy didn't climb there. I don't recall for sure.

All this was new to me back then, and Caesar IV had not been out for long. I got into a little trouble at Brundisium and lost favor and ended up having Caesar's legions call at my gates.

I used a save of the game at that point to experiment with the cheat. When I applied the cheat to the outside of the walls as I described above, Caesar's troops just stood there taking hits from my archers on the walls.

I have some many of my old saves from past campaign play. When I complete a campaign I create a new subfolder in the Saved Games folder and put all the saves from my recent campaign into it. There may be a chance that my original saves with this cheat are somewhere back in one f the first subfolders. I'll have to take a look and see.

Keith

Postby Keith » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:51 pm

I surprised myself and actually found the saves I made of the cheat in use back in 2006.

http://sdrv.ms/12oJJZW

In the first picture you can see my city is under siege from Caesar's legions. The cheat has been applied to all outside wall surfaces (not towers or gatehouse) that are on flat terrain. You can't build aqueducts up or downhill so you are limited to level ground.

http://sdrv.ms/15tGCgd

In the second image can see my attempt to use the aqueduct piers as a wall to fill the gap, but when you run the save you can see that I have moved my cohort to the spot just inside the wall and have backed up that area with two towers and connecting short wall to beef up the defense.

http://sdrv.ms/15tGI7u

As I recall the barbarian invasion swept around my city and came right in through that spot, so I added the towers and wall there.

Run the save and you'll see that Caesar's legions will not fire their catapults or attempt to scale the wall. One tower will eventually collapse and let the small remnants of those forces into the city, but the one cohort you have should easily mop them up.

This is a special save I made after completing the city, having already met the goals. I went into debt by building my aqueduct cheat and to entice an attack by Caesar.

Rnett

Postby Rnett » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:54 pm

Its much easier to just give yourself a raise and antagonize Caesar's army to remove instead of going into the red.

Keith

Re: Aqueduct defensive wall cheat (Updated 3/25/2018)

Postby Keith » Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:57 pm

Aqueduct cheat post updated 3/25/2018 with text instructions due to loss of instructive screen shot images and save game file on this new forum software after the upgrade.

Added links to pCloud storage site for images and save game file. See above.

Return to “Game Help & Strategy”