Post your best housing layouts here!

Stuck and need help, or want to discuss strategy? This is the place!
Barbara

Postby Barbara » Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:25 pm

Zamolxes wrote:I'm thinking to add multiple block types for Grumpus's modular design.

Where is Grumpus's post in which he describes his modular design blocks? I can't remember where I saw it.

Grumpus

Postby Grumpus » Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:35 pm

Barbara:

Go here and punch the city building button

Barbara

Postby Barbara » Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:48 pm

Grumpus wrote:Barbara:

Go here and punch the city building button

:) Thank you, Grumpus.

I am playing your blocks now.

Bathing

Postby Bathing » Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:57 pm

Ok, I've been working on a standard large housing block for awhile and I think I've finally found one that works best for me. On maps with limited space this is obviously not going to work but if you need 100 culture and lots of plebs .. then this works!

The biggest problem is the Odeum, with the smallest radius it basically HAS to go in the middle or you're going to be building lots of them. So I started there with an offshoot of one of Zam's layouts and went from there. Also, using temples is a huge help and necessary for this layout. So if you're short on cash you can sub a shrine for a while until you get marble.

This first shot is the main housing block, this block holds 6k plebs and 960 equites. You can add or subtract housing based on what you need but this is perfect coverage of all services. You can place a coliseum just off the bottom if you're going for 100 culture, and you can put the library next to it. Here I was didn't need 100 so I put the libraries in the middle instead of the 2 extra temples.

Second shot is the middle section, temples and the hospital. Here it is necessary to put barber and clinics.

Last shot is basically just doubling the city over in order to make room for patricians. Same setup as the first shot just mirrored and a little longer. You can see I added more housing as necessary to reach 10k pop. Also you can add a second Coliseum at the top for 100 culture (and a library or temple depending).

And thats it! I did a slightly different setup for Ephesus, and I hadn't really perfected the layout yet but here are 3 pics of essentially the same structure. The stupid hill wouldn't let me place a coliseum on the end so I had to improvise :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

morphix

Postby morphix » Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:53 pm

Another simple square-shaped patrician block - 24 villas, can be easily doubled with no new temples, coliseum, forum and library. I did not wait for full evolution but it has perfect coverage and enough space for shops or beautification around.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Grumpus

Postby Grumpus » Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:46 pm

This is a general purpose module I add to plebe houising at the beginning of the game

morphix

Postby morphix » Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:04 am

One more patrician megablock (31 villas)... not tested, but should have full coverage.

Zamolxes

Postby Zamolxes » Sat Oct 28, 2006 4:44 am

Monster of patrician block, 35 villas, fully upgraded, 1 service building of each, except barbers, clinics, prefects, engineers :eek:

Mercury

Postby Mercury » Sun Oct 29, 2006 1:05 pm

Here's mine, fully upgraded. Its hard to get the whole thing in one shot but hopefully this will give you a start. Everything has what it needs to go to max level, have 5 temple coverage, and almost full entertainment. 23 patrician houses, 31 pleb houses (one is not evolved), and 13 equite houses.
Last edited by Mercury on Sun Oct 29, 2006 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Timhotep

Postby Timhotep » Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:02 pm

This my pleb block from Tingis, it holds 6000 plebs (though I had to put 4 extra insulas to get population required 10000).

Health, religion and education coverages are perfect and entertainment coverage very close.

Pavel

Postby Pavel » Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:01 pm

Bathing wrote

Ok, I've been working on a standard large housing block for awhile and I think I've finally found one that works best for me. On maps with limited space this is obviously not going to work but if you need 100 culture and lots of plebs .. then this works!

And thats it

So, if I understand correctly it looks like the enclosed attachment?
(NB, the buildings might not quite line up correctly as I had to line them up by eye...)

Gaius Marius

Postby Gaius Marius » Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:35 pm

Whoa... Morphix you have any idea how "modular" your blocks look? I think i can combine two of your 24-villa blocks with your 31 villa block to make one mondo-block that will use only one colosseum... and i think i can stick a shop network in there too (you think 75+ mansions can work with just one set of markets...? and where the heck can i place those warehouses...)

*edit* whoa im doing som calculations and the block im thinking of will probably demand 1000 equites to run it... wtf..?
Last edited by Gaius Marius on Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bathing

Postby Bathing » Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:46 pm

Pavel wrote:Bathing wrote

And thats it

So, if I understand correctly it looks like the enclosed attachment?
(NB, the buildings might not quite line up correctly as I had to line them up by eye...)

Heey cool! I haven't actually seen my entire block laid out like that in one shot .. thanks for that. But yep thats the whole thing. In that pic I wasn't going for 100 culture but if you check out the Ephesus pics the layout for that will work. Just slightly different placing of temples and adding in the coliseums.

Zamolxes

Postby Zamolxes » Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:51 pm

Gaius Marius wrote:I think i can combine two of your 24-villa blocks with your 31 villa block to make one mondo-block that will use only one colosseum... and I think i can stick a shop network in there too (you think 75+ mansions can work with just one set of markets...?

I very much doubt it taking in consideration the distance that block will spread on. On my patrician blocks over 20 villas i definatelly double the market area. I dont double the exotic market, but they get a 2nd distribution center with food, basic and luxury.

A number of 75 villas will consume:150 basic, 150 luxury and 300 units of food per year. That is A LOT of goods that have to shuffle through your patrician markets, and i doubt is even posible with only 1 center. Not counting the exotics, but those actually get consumed differently depending the level of housing.

@Morphix: I like a lot your 24 villa block. Looks like u used a different aproach. U went with a linear distribution of services in order of coverage, while I designed mine as a circle of services. I'd like to take your block idea, distill it a bit, bring down the villa numbers to 20 , and create a small compact patrician block for smaller maps. Your approach also permits incorporating workforce block for full coverage of services, kinda like Mercury has

Pavel

Postby Pavel » Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:00 pm

Bathing wrote:Heey cool! I haven't actually seen my entire block laid out like that in one shot .. thanks for that. But yep thats the whole thing.

Great, I hadn't understood it properly the first time, and when I was playing around with it I'd split it into two blocks, each half the size of the whole.

It's really flexible split into half, too. With some tweaking you can still get to 100 culture, and I also managed to get a fully evolved Patrician block from it with 21 Grand Mansions, with minimal effort, on difficult terrain.

Thanks for the inspiration, it worked for me.

Drop me a PM if you want a large copy of the file, I can resize it to pretty much as big as you want it at the expense of file size. The original attachment is a mediocre quality JPEG, unfortunately there's no way a really good version will post due to file size limits.

For everyone else, building a composite picture like this is fairly straightforward if you have screenshots captured as a top down view and a copy of Photoshop; I'm happy to combine shots or post a quick tutorial if anyone else has large blocks that they want to see. Text labels for buildings are also easy to add.

Plebus

Postby Plebus » Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:22 pm

Mercury wrote:Here's mine, fully upgraded. Its hard to get the whole thing in one shot but hopefully this will give you a start. Everything has what it needs to go to max level, have 5 temple coverage, and almost full entertainment. 23 patrician houses, 31 pleb houses (one is not evolved), and 13 equite houses.

Impressive block!
But I'm afraid though they are all fully upgraded,but not fully covered by all services(for example,bath,colliseum),so not possible for 100 culture. :)

Agamemnus

Postby Agamemnus » Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:37 pm

I'm flattered...

I think my layout may be a bit off because the library may not cover everything and a second library covers one of the villas (not quite sure). :(

With my layout, though, you get 100% culture...

Bathing

Postby Bathing » Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:41 am

Pavel wrote:It's really flexible split into half, too. With some tweaking you can still get to 100 culture, and I also managed to get a fully evolved Patrician block from it with 21 Grand Mansions, with minimal effort, on difficult terrain.

Thanks for the inspiration, it worked for me.

Thanks Pavel! Yes that's what I love about it, it's flexibility. You can get any score you need if you just tweak it a little bit here and there.

I haven't done much with patrician blocks, just sort of added them in to the block in the same spot that would normally fit plebs. I'm sure there's a lot more tweaking to do for the next map after Tingis ... 100 of everything ouch.

Gaius Marius

Postby Gaius Marius » Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:50 am

morphix wrote:Another simple square-shaped patrician block - 24 villas, can be easily doubled with no new temples, coliseum, forum and library. I did not wait for full evolution but it has perfect coverage and enough space for shops or beautification around.

Nuts... your 24-villa block has incomplete hospital coverage. It doesnt cover te farthest corner and leaves 2 villas in the dark...

Mercury

Postby Mercury » Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:06 am

Plebus wrote:Impressive block!
But I'm afraid though they are all fully upgraded,but not fully covered by all services(for example,bath,colliseum),so not possible for 100 culture. :)

This block pictured had an 83 culture rating. With another colliseum, school, and barber, I would of been able to get 100... but why unless the scenerio called for it. It was more for getting as many GM's as I could and get perfect god coverage (for the bonuses and blessings). This block got me all three benefits from all 5 gods somewhere between 4 - 5k pop (not sure when, I had 2 benefits at 4050 and 3 at 5100).

Return to “Game Help & Strategy”