Equite Upgrade and City Walls

Stuck and need help, or want to discuss strategy? This is the place!
TombRaiderBC

Equite Upgrade and City Walls

Postby TombRaiderBC » Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:42 pm

I'm still in Narbo and my equite housing now requires city walls to evolve. I don't have much money so built one wall along the side of my housing area... but they're still asking for walls.

Do the walls need to be manned? Do the homes need to be completely walled off with a gate?

What's the MIMINUM requirement to satisfy the equites here?

Thanks.

Kiya

Postby Kiya » Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:46 pm

I have no answers to your questions but I did Narbo successfully without walls and soldiers. Some raiders or natives came, they burned down a building or two, nothing much happened. Didn't pay them off, actually would have been waste of money, considering the fun I had seeing them in my city. ;) :D

edit/ spelling
Last edited by Kiya on Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TombRaiderBC

Postby TombRaiderBC » Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:04 pm

Kiya wrote:I have no answers to your questions but I did Narbo successfully without walls and soldiers. Some raiders or natives came, they burned down a building or two, nothing much happened. Didn't pay them off, actually would have been waist of money, considering the fun I had seeing them in my city. ;) :D

You mean I built soldiers for NOTHING??!! :eek:

Well... I figured I could probably finish the scenario without upgrading the equite housing but I'd still appreciate feedback on this since I'm sure I'll eventually want or need to upgrade in some scenario.

Thanks.

Kiya

Postby Kiya » Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:06 pm

No, LOL, you didn't build soldiers for nothing, let's say you were practising for further campaigns. ;) :D

edit/ Well, I believe they are whining for more in any case, but you're the boss and it is you who decides what they are going to have. Anyway for wining you don't need any walls in Narbo.
Last edited by Kiya on Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flammehav

Postby Flammehav » Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:12 pm

You need to wall to entierly surround your housing. Don't miss a single little tile or it won't work. Also make sure you have atleast 1 gatehous in the wall. If you have a river/sea spending over the entire playing area it's enugh to build your wall next to the water and the water will act as part of the wall. Make sure you build your wall as far out in the water as possible or it won't work.

On the latest senarios you might need to enclose also your non housing areas with walls to be able to get a high secureity rating.

vic_4

Postby vic_4 » Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:33 pm

Flammehav wrote:You need to wall to entierly surround your housing. Don't miss a single little tile or it won't work. Also make sure you have atleast 1 gatehous in the wall. If you have a river/sea spending over the entire playing area it's enugh to build your wall next to the water and the water will act as part of the wall. Make sure you build your wall as far out in the water as possible or it won't work.

On the latest senarios you might need to enclose also your non housing areas with walls to be able to get a high secureity rating.

And also every road going through walls has to have a gate. When you are finished, check one domus to see if it is evolving. If not it means there is a hole in the wall (which is what you get most of the times), you need then to check all your wall to see if there is any tree enclosed or small gaps, specially near gates and if your wall goes completely to the edge of the water.

MarkDuffy

Postby MarkDuffy » Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:43 pm

TombRaiderBC wrote:You mean I built soldiers for NOTHING??!! :eek:

No, you should have built soldiers, TombRaider. Every torched building by invaders is called a crime & your Security Rating will begin to drop to zero.

Prefects are excellent soldiers if you have enough & invasions are weak, but you will have torched buildings.

Plan on one or two Cohorts at least even in economic scenarios.

As far as walling your Equites for evolution to Large Domus, it is not necessary & can be countered by more & higher evolved Patrician residences. However, most of us wall in every scenario. You also need Walls to evolve Patricians from Large Estate to Small Mansion (Steps 6 to 7 of 9). Money for walls comes from exports & taxing ALL your Markets. Much harder to do this if you Bribe invaders. Always fight them!
Last edited by MarkDuffy on Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kiya

Postby Kiya » Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:03 pm

MarkDuffy wrote: Every torched building by invaders is called a crime & your Security Rating will begin to drop to zero.

Prefects are excellent soldiers if you have enough & invasions are weak, but you will have torched buildings.

Well, not quite agree here. Invaders torching buildings in Narbo WAS the fun part of that scenario. Seeing all the "havoc"... a few prefects chasing after these natives... :p (Narbo is the only city where I have had invaders of any sort so far). :D

MarkDuffy wrote:Plan on one or two Cohorts at least even in economic scenarios.

Excellent but didn't do myself so far. :o :p Got my win on the early scenarios before needed any soldiers. :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MarkDuffy

Postby MarkDuffy » Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:29 pm

Excellent images, Kiya! C4 looks great! Your Laptop? :)

Kiya

Postby Kiya » Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:35 pm

Thanks, MarkDuffy. Yes my dear lill' lappy. :o :D

bexgames

Postby bexgames » Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:17 pm

looks good kiya! nice pics :cool:

Kiya

Postby Kiya » Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:30 pm

bexgames wrote:looks good kiya! nice pics :cool:

Looks good?! My farm building and its workers in fire? Bexgames LOL

Well, the pics are nice though. :cool: I loved to watch what was going on since I had no other defense than those few prefects who seemed to get themselves killed near the farms. :o :eek:

MarkDuffy

Postby MarkDuffy » Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:34 pm

Kiya wrote:I loved to watch what was going on since I had no other defense than those few prefects who seemed to get themselves killed near the farms. :o :eek:

You get new Prefects for free & they rejoin the fight! Stubborn lil' devils too!

The only down side is that they ignore their Fire & Crime Patrols & the rest of our cities can go downhill fast. ;)

Imaged is Rambo Prefect against Caesar's Legions of Elite Heavy Infrantry! :D The building to the left is the Governor's Mansion ~ Their destination to defeat me. And they did just this too! They didn't destroy it, just being there triggered the loss.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by MarkDuffy on Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Old Man

Postby Old Man » Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:01 pm

TombRaiderBC wrote:I'm still in Narbo and my equite housing now requires city walls to evolve. I don't have much money so built one wall along the side of my housing area... but they're still asking for walls.

Do the walls need to be manned? Do the homes need to be completely walled off with a gate?

What's the MIMINUM requirement to satisfy the equites here?

Thanks.

I did not build any walls in Narbo. I bought the raiders off (2x2 000dn).

Redix

Postby Redix » Sat May 29, 2010 4:35 am

I encounter more or less the same problem with equites.
Not exactly in Narbo but in general: Eguites do not evolve to maximum

Is it absolutely essential to build walls all the time to evolve eguites?
Or is this the only alternative ....

As far as walling your Equites for evolution to Large Domus, it is not necessary & can be countered by more & higher evolved Patrician residences.

if so then there will be no other options then to wait for our dear spoiled and expensive Patricians i guess . :p

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Sat May 29, 2010 6:01 am

Howdy, Redix!

That was a mis-statement. I was talking about Prosperity. Instead of Large Domus, use higher Patricians for prosperity goal. Sorry.

Yes, Large Domus require walls.

Redix

Postby Redix » Sat May 29, 2010 6:49 am

never mind the error TInkerbell thats ok ;)

the answer helps ... well "helps" ...( euw dear these rich folks *sigh* ) .. it clears things out any way.

thnx a lot :)

Keith

Postby Keith » Sat May 29, 2010 7:26 am

Note, that you don't have to wall the entire city off to get the Domus to evolve to their maximum level. If you leave room around them you can wall just the Domus housing and provide access via gatehouses. You can complete Narbo without constructing any Patrician housing.

Many of the earlier scenarios can be completed this way, but those with very high Prosperity ratings requirements will require walls and Patrician housing.

Normally, I tend to wall the entire city for defense and for higher evolution of my housing.

In Narbo, however, I just place a gatehouse and wall on the far end of the bridge that connects my city to the road to Rome. I build a number of legion forts on the opposite side of my city in the general area of the mines and hills close to the opposite side of the map where barbarians are likely to appear.

Redix

Postby Redix » Sun May 30, 2010 1:11 pm

I find this true Keith, it is not always necessary to wall in in order to upgrade Domus. Without is very well possible I have found out.
I was simply puzzled how everyone is dealing with this item.
Nice to learn the alternatives here. :)

I never thought of walling in only the Domus.
Don`t you walk into the problem that the distance between the markets en de Domus becomes to big?
like they stand on a island far away from every one ...

Interesting you say this about Narbo.... i remember one other city that only needs a small wall, gatehouse en 2 towers to keep away the traiders but I don`t remember wich one ... :o

Very nice pictures indeed!
Such fine shot from far above.
Very clear to see how it is build.

Keith

Postby Keith » Sun May 30, 2010 1:29 pm

Without having the maximum security of walls you won't get the Domus evolved to their maximum levels. The trick is that water can count as part of the wall as they provide a impassable barrier to the barbarians. Only the bridge over the river needs to be defended with walls towers and gatehouses. In many of the earlier cities of the game it is not always necessary to evolve Domus to their max levels because the prosperity ratings is lower.

For a walled housing area, as long as the gatehouse in the wall around the Domus area remains open (they close during an attack) and the market is not too far from that area I don't see any real problems. You can always include a market or two inside the walled area as well.

I don't use this method myself, because I'm typically too busy early on just getting my population levels up and trying to keep everything close enough so they have access to each other. So leaving space for a walled housing area is not on my mind. I find it easier for me to just wall the entire city.

I didn't want to give away the "script" in Narbo, but attacks from barbarians do arrive on that map in the un-walled area on the other side of the city away from the river. But having the legion forts right there let you defend the area quickly enough, provided you have enough forces on hand to do the job.

To get the super-long distance screenshot of any city just press SHIFT+F9.

Everyone has their own playing philosphy. Find one that works for you and stick with it. I included my (after) "victory" save of Narbonensis so you can load it up and look around a working live city if you want.

Return to “Game Help & Strategy”