Equite Upgrade and City Walls

Stuck and need help, or want to discuss strategy? This is the place!
Redix

Postby Redix » Mon May 31, 2010 7:59 am

woow these are some nice tips here Keith.

- the water is a wall in itself
- I also never think ( or to late) to leave space for the wall. that means sometimes trouble sometimes i can do that later.

didn't want to give away the "script" in Narbo, but attacks from barbarians do arrive on that map in the un-walled area on the other side of the city away from the river. But having the legion forts right there let you defend the area quickly enough, provided you have enough forces on hand to do the job.

that sure helps and saves me a few thousands dn.

Sometimes when there are to many unemployed Plebs it can be handy to give them prefecture-posts and they seem very well able to battle with raiders if not to large.
Nice fighters this firebrigade. :cool:

I tryed the SHIFT+F9 but all that i see is a simple *click* en further nothing happens. :confused:

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Mon May 31, 2010 2:00 pm

"Redix" wrote:- the water is a wall in itself

but not rocks. Be careful about rocks on the water, you will have to go around them. Also make sure your wall goes out into the water as much as possible.

- I also never think ( or to late) to leave space for the wall. that means sometimes trouble sometimes i can do that later.

This is why most of us wall our entire city. You will need this for later high Security Rating anyway. Security > 50 = buildings enclosed by walls.

I tryed the SHIFT+F9 but all that i see is a simple *click* en further nothing happens. :confused:

The full city snapshot is a bit flaky. Try it several times & the sweet spot on how long to hold the combo keys down is tough to dial in. When you get it correct (or lucky), you will see the full city view for a microsecond on your screen. This is how you know it was successful.

Full City is CTRL-F9, not Shift-F9. Shift-F9 is normal city view w/o interface.
Last edited by Tinkerbell on Mon May 31, 2010 2:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Keith

Postby Keith » Mon May 31, 2010 2:55 pm

Right, I got my hotkey controls mixed up. It is Ctrl+F9, sorry. Below is a screenshot of the hotkeys list from the old Caesar IV website that is now defunct.

And...

When building walls make sure you don't drag over any trees or tree stumps. These leave small nearly invisible gaps in your wall that will let the barbarians through, and also you'll be scratching your head as to why your housing doesn't fully evolve and your security rating won't rise afterwards.

Walls that end near water must actually terminate in the water or your wall won't be complete.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Redix

Postby Redix » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:31 am

This is why most of us wall our entire city. You will need this for later high Security Rating anyway. Security > 50 = buildings enclosed by walls.

1 x Yes!

Full City is CTRL-F9 ..... Try it several times & the sweet spot on how long to hold the combo keys down is tough to dial in. When you get it correct (or lucky), you will see the full city view for a microsecond on your screen. This is how you know it was successful.

2x Yes!

When building walls make sure you don't drag over any trees or tree stumps. These leave small nearly invisible gaps in your wall that will let the barbarians through, and also you'll be scratching your head as to why your housing doesn't fully evolve and your security rating won't rise afterwards.

3x Yes!

Very happy indeed. :)

I wondered why but my security suddenly dropped to zero.
This is probably the reason.

And thank you for this list Keith.
Very helpfull.
Last edited by Redix on Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pharaoh Pepy

Postby Pharaoh Pepy » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:51 am

Don't hate on me for bumping an ancient thread, but for walls allowing houses like the Domus (like Caesar II that) impassible terrain does not count it appears. Presumably the walls have to be a complete circuit enclosing even areas bordered with lakes or mountains. Correct?

Keith

Postby Keith » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:46 am

Yes, impassable terrain does count as part of the wall. Your city needs to be completely ringed by walls, or with walls & impassable terrain.

So you don't have to build a wall parallel along a river, for example, you just have to make sure that the ends of your wall extend as far as possible into the water. The river or water will count as part of the wall on that side of the city in that case.

Towers for defense in hostile area. You do need gatehouses, of course. Any bridge across the river into your city constitutes a breach in the wall. The roads must pass through gatehouses that have connecting walls that extend down into the water or another wall. Small lakes can also be used this way.

Rocks formations are another form of impassable terrain. The end of the wall needs to fit as tightly against it as it can be. I usually prefer not to rely on rocks myelf.

Damage to the walls in combat causes the security rating to fall. Causing your people to emmigrate if the change is great enough. You should have a engineer's patrolling on roads behind the wall and towers to help repair damage after the attack.

Beware of tree stumps. If you drag your wall over one, it is nearly impossible to see and it leaves a hole in your wall which prevent your housing from evolving and which can be exploted by attacking barbarians. Remove all tree stumps in the immediate path you are using for constructing your city wall.

Pharaoh Pepy

Postby Pharaoh Pepy » Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:20 pm

I need 100% security in a mission. Basically I have between 98-99, but never 100. All my population are within walls with most extractive industries and workshops are outside. A bit of a puzzle.

Keith

Postby Keith » Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:40 am

The exposed industry, that might be your 1% right there.

Also, crime will lower security so having praefects and plenty of jobs is a good idea.

Make sure you didn't run your wall over a tree stump while you were constructing it and all walls that end at the rivers edge extend into the water and there is no space between the end of a wall and impassable terrain.

Gatehouses need a firm connection to walls. Sometimes a small gap is left unless you are careful. If a man gets
stuck be between the gatehouse and wall during their connection together this will leave a gap.

Fires will effect your security as will damage from barbarian invasions. Good praefect coverage in the city is a must.

Check your overlays for fire, damage, etc. and see what they reveal about your city.

Pharaoh Pepy

Postby Pharaoh Pepy » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:45 am

Now my security rating is 0. I have bought off all invasions so far, largely from saving, and will have to fight soon, but there has been no enemy damage done. There is a little crime. Probably a bug like the labour report that reports both mass unemployment and labour shortages.

Keith

Postby Keith » Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:28 pm

It is more likely there is something you are not doing. Do you have enough coverage from court buildings and do they have magistrates?

A look at a save game would make things easier to discern.

Return to “Game Help & Strategy”