What kind of C4 governor are you?

Stuck and need help, or want to discuss strategy? This is the place!

Minimalist Spreadsheeter
12%
Overbuilder
47%
It depends
35%
I don't play C4. Why am I even here?
6%

Total votes: 17

Fistleaf

Postby Fistleaf » Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:34 am

I am, according to Tinkerbell, a "minimalist spreadsheeter". I build just enough to meet Caesar's requirements and I calculate the number of farms required to feed the population.

Reasons for playing minimalist style:
1. Anybody can spam buildings. However, building just enough requires more planning and is more challenging.
2. Overbuilding wastes taxpayers' money. The governor could get impeached by the Senate for that.

abana

Postby abana » Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:48 am

I have just started with c4, but I know that in c3 and Pharoah, I calculate and plan some of my city, and "wing it" for the rest. For insance, I am now working on a c3, where I am relying mostly on fishing, it is diffficult to plan just how many wharves you will need , when the proximity to the fishing grounds and to the granary play a part. I am not sure how many pats and plembs that I can support, I will have to adjust later in the game. I am not sure what aspects of c4 are like these, but I will be playing in much the same way.

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:55 am

Overbuilder

It's a city building game. Not a city not-building game.

The minimalist philosophy requires knowing what is coming & replaying the scenario over & over. That's not a challenge.

Playing a scenario once, from start to end w/o knowing what is coming nor going backwards is the real challenge. That requires more than minimalist, to be prepared for anything, like huge invasion with multiple entry points, or that huge demand from Caesar.

I also like green faces & no red on my Chief Advisor. Perfect nutrition on my Health Advisor. I also like a remote Patrician city.

and mah fav is services on the outside. :D
Last edited by Tinkerbell on Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

Fistleaf

Postby Fistleaf » Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:00 am

"Tinkerbell" wrote:Overbuilder

The minimalist philosophy requires knowing what is coming & replaying the scenario over & over. That's not a challenge.

I rarely replay the same scenario, usually it just takes me longer to win due to all the unforseen difficulties. Burdigala, however, is another story.

Kiya

Postby Kiya » Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:41 am

My play style varies according to a game, my mood and what I’d like to achieve in that particular game and scenario I’m playing.

"Tinkerbell" wrote:Overbuilder

It's a city building game. Not a city not-building game.

Playing a scenario once, from start to end w/o knowing what is coming nor going backwards is the real challenge. That requires more than minimalist, to be prepared for anything, like huge invasion with multiple entry points, or that huge demand from Caesar.

I also like green faces & no red on my Chief Advisor. Perfect nutrition on my Health Advisor. I also like a remote Patrician city.

and mah fav is services on the outside. :D

Challenge, what is it for you, for your neighbour, for every one of us players? Is there just One Truth, One Knowledge how to play in order to make it a challenge? Are we talking about religion and the Faith here? :rolleyes:

I think we all (most of us?) play video games for fun, to get away from our daily chores, thus to me any play style is a valid one and is the ‘right way to play’. Someone says my play style is not a challenge, so what. I like it and that is all I care. :p :D

vic_4

Postby vic_4 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:12 am

I am an overbuilder, I like to stockpile and having a city which can meet most of requests.

Rnett

Postby Rnett » Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:21 pm

Slave driving is fun, followed by crime cities.[img]http://bestsmileys.com/evil/10.gif[/img]

Picture 083.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:15 pm

"Kiya" wrote:Challenge, what is it for you, for your neighbour, for every one of us players? Is there just One Truth, One Knowledge how to play in order to make it a challenge? Are we talking about religion and the Faith here? :rolleyes:

I think we all (most of us?) play video games for fun, to get away from our daily chores, thus to me any play style is a valid one and is the ‘right way to play’. Someone says my play style is not a challenge, so what. I like it and that is all I care. :p :D

Fistleaf asked my opinion & I gave it, Kiya. It is a poll thread. Stop reading things into posts that are not there. I didn't say anything about there's only one way to play. That's your game & your ilk at CBC.

Did Fistleaf in OP tell everyone how to play? He/she claimed that only minimalist is challenging.

Apparently you think so, but only attacked me (it is what you do), cuz you also are a minimalist.

"Kiya" wrote:...I'm a minimalist by nature.

Question

Why didn't you answer the poll correctly?

~ ~ ~

"vic_4" wrote:I am an overbuilder, I like to stockpile and having a city which can meet most of requests.

Absolutely, Vic! To be able to click on the demand, request from Caesar the first time it pops up ROCKS! :D

Overkill is also a philosophy used mostly for the Continue Play option. To see all the invasions, to open everything on the World Map in COTN. I don't play & replay for some speed contest & stop at the Win Screen. That is not fun to me.

...it is not the destination...nor the score/rank...it is the journey...
Last edited by Tinkerbell on Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:44 pm, edited 9 times in total.

abana

Postby abana » Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:27 pm

Kiya isn'r a member of CBC

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:50 pm

"abana" wrote:Kiya isn'r a member of CBC

Wrong again, abana

Kiya is Lokki at CBC.

Kiya

Postby Kiya » Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:30 pm

"Tinkerbell" wrote:Fistleaf asked my opinion & I gave it, Kiya. It is a poll thread. Stop reading things into posts that are not there. I didn't say anything about there's only one way to play. That's your game & your ilk at CBC.

Did Fistleaf in OP tell everyone how to play? He/she claimed that only minimalist is challenging.

Pot and kettle here... now how was that saying in English? ;)

"Tinkerbell" wrote:The minimalist philosophy requires knowing what is coming & replaying the scenario over & over. That's not a challenge.

Are you saying or not that minimalist philosophy is not a challenge? I think anything is a challenge if you make it that way, it is just the way one sees things. You seem to see just one way. *shrug*

Anyone can play exactly as they like. What am I to say that their way is not a challenge.

"Tinkerbell" wrote:Apparently you think so, but only attacked me (it is what you do), cuz you also are a minimalist.

Question

Why didn't you answer the poll correctly?

I did answer correctly. You think you know me better than me? LOL

You dug up an old reply of mine. You think I haven't changed a bit in two years? Things vary, and what I think is a challenge today, might not be it tomorrow. :D I had to look up what was the context I said I'm a minimalist.

WOW In that particular CoTN user created scenario I acted nothing like a minimalist player but overdid the army part, unlike ever, also this time I used all of the villagers. This is a comment by the scenario designer:
"wgengland" wrote:Kiya,

I would not have thought it possible to generate enough resources to avoid being sacked. You must have been right on the ragged edge of food production.

Impressive skill. :cool:

It was fun to notice that you picked up that phrase (I'm a minimalist by nature) in this thread where I definitely overdid it in every way. :D :D :D

And why do you say I attacked you Tinkie? I didn't. Just like you I only said my opinion on this matter.

Yes Abana, I am a member on CBC as is Tinkerbell (who is also using another nick name there) but as everyone can see I haven't been very active there. Actually this year he has more posts there than I have. :)

abana

Postby abana » Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:37 pm

My mistake.

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:38 pm

"abana" wrote:My mistake.

Very pitiful, abana.

You are a moderator at CBC & you don't even know the contest winners?

Perhaps you should quit as unqualified?

Zeal

Postby Zeal » Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:36 pm

I do like the idea of minimalism in C4 and do try to measure all my building and spending carefully, but I have a habit of building large palatial gardens and pavilions....

Usually I "overbuild" my city until it's aesthetically pleasing in as many ways as possible
That's not to say I believe in "beauty over function" the real challenge is getting it all running beautifully together as a synergistic whole.
To contrast Fistleaf's point, I believe it's much easier to be a "minimalist" than to work carefully to develop a well balanced and beautiful city. :)

Edit: I voted "It Depends" because I find myself on neither side of this "spectrum" and I don't think you should measure the game in "this or that" anyways lol
just play the game and enjoy :D

Edit 2: Kiya! *turns into a cat and rubs against your leg*
I has been doing the missings of you!
Last edited by Zeal on Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.

goonsquad

Postby goonsquad » Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:49 pm

"Tinkerbell" wrote:Very pitiful, abana.

You are a moderator at CBC & you don't even know the contest winners?

Perhaps you should quit as unqualified?

Mark, it is not in fact a prerequisite at CBC that to be a moderator you have to know the winner of all 160 or so contests that have been held by the site. It's much more important that you are respected by your fellow players and can be depended upon to maintain the site's standards.

Maybe when you do all the hard work necessary (and bear the expense) to establish a comparable site, you can have a stupid rule like this. Until then, you might like to stick your foot back in your mouth.

Hope this helps.

Zeal

Postby Zeal » Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:10 am

Hey, you didn't vote! :(

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:18 am

"goonsquad" wrote:Mark, it is not in fact a prerequisite at CBC that to be a moderator you have to know the winner of all 160 or so contests that have been held by the site. It's much more important that you are respected by your fellow players and can be depended upon to maintain the site's standards.

Maybe when you do all the hard work necessary (and bear the expense) to establish a comparable site, you can have a stupid rule like this. Until then, you might like to stick your foot back in your mouth.

Hope this helps.

I made no stupid rule, goonsquad. What abana did is what she always does. Makes assumptions & conclusions w/o thinking. She gossips & is usually wrong. She lies. Something no moderator should do.

Come to think of it, she IS perfect for CBC!

:D

Fistleaf

Postby Fistleaf » Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:32 pm

"Tinkerbell" wrote:

I am a "he" by the way. At least the last time I checked. :p

Absolutely, Vic! To be able to click on the demand, request from Caesar the first time it pops up ROCKS! :D

It does get boring after a while if every single request can be gotten rid off so easily. It's almost the same as not having the request in the first place. Reminds me of Imperium Romanum, where once you get rid of all 20 tablets (each with a request/goal), you win the scenario, not much of a challenge.

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:25 pm

"Fistleaf" wrote:I am a "he" by the way. At least the last time I checked. :p

Thankx! I thought male, but don't like to guess at these things. ;)

It does get boring after a while if every single request can be gotten rid off so easily.

LOL. It is more of a challenge to be preemptively prepared. This was just one example. You gonna wait to be able to respond to an invasion until after it comes?

I can play minimalist also, I just don't like to. There is something about having my city on the edge of revolt & unhappy, that just doesn't cut it for me. I spoil my people in CB games, cuz they deserve it.

If you really want a challenge then never gift for favor nor bribe invaders. Always Continue Play after Win Screen until you see ALL the invasions, opened & maxed all trade routes & have the highest Ratings possible. All residences green & no red on your Chief Advisor.

It's almost the same as not having the request in the first place. Reminds me of Imperium Romanum, where once you get rid of all 20 tablets (each with a request/goal), you win the scenario, not much of a challenge.

Enjoy the game, my friend. Lots of different ways to play.
Last edited by Tinkerbell on Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:56 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Zeal

Postby Zeal » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:38 pm

How are we defining "minimalism" ?
I assumed it meant "efficient" but it's beginning to sound more utility and bare minimum than anything else o_0
if it means a "skeleton city" with only the absolute necessities ect then i disagree with the idea of minimalism.
I would love to make a neat organized and efficient city while still maintaining a standard for "beauty" that I set for myself. :)
(of course all needs and wants should be satisfied too)
so I guess that makes me an over City builder o_0
""over"" builder pfft

Return to “Game Help & Strategy”