A Couple Questions- Help Please!

Stuck and need help, or want to discuss strategy? This is the place!
SCSocietiesRulz

A Couple Questions- Help Please!

Postby SCSocietiesRulz » Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:04 am

Hi!!

I've been playing SCS for a while so i've been over on that board but I Just got C4 and I'm in need of help! lol :confused:

- my advisers say that I have low food stocks. But have i have like 5 graineies (sp?) and 4 warehouses.
- I Have at least 6 clinics but im still getting epidemics?
- And some of my buildings are collapsing but i have engineering an prefects on every corner?
- I raise taxes and lower wages but I still am not getting enough income (don't worry I stopped spending!)
So if any one can help me please do so! :D

Keith

Postby Keith » Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:11 am

As for your epidemics and collapsing buildings, your clinics and engineers aren't covering the area around them efficiently and some buildings must be getting missed.

You should make a habit of checking how your city is doing by referring to the in-game overlay maps. They provide color coded info on how various services are distributed throughout your city streets.

You may need to build another clinic or engineer in a problem area.

Also, if you have very complicated street systems with long winding roads your coverage may not be as complete as necessary for certain areas. Sometimes providing a link between two parallel roads by means of a crossroad will allow a clinic or engineer access to a troubled area that was previously uncovered.

Using the overlay maps is critical to being successful in the later missions of the game where goals require 100 ratings in most or all of the required areas.

Some buildings require equites to make them work. Make sure you have equites in your city to operate the clinics.

To make money you need to establish trade with other cities. Taxes only supplement that trade income. Taxes are only collected from the markets and and patrician class housing. Plebs and Equites don't pay taxes from their homes.

You may have granaries and warehouses with food and goods in them but your markets must be constantly running low or are out of food most of the time. This may be because of the travelling distances of between the market and the granary for the carts that keep them supplied or the travelling distances between the farms and the granaries may be taking a long time if the granaries themselves are always running low or are empty most of the time.

You can always try increasing the number of farms you have. Each farm will make use of at least two farmland plots. So if you are only placing one grain plot for each grain farm you can add one more per farm. This also applies for vegatables, cattle, and sheep (used for producing wool and clothing.)

I usually make my farmers walk the greater distance when they are delivering the harvest to the granary. I try to keep my granaries closer to my food markets, where I can, so they can replenish their stocks more quickly from the granaries.

Check your plebian and equite labor status. If you have a lot of labor shortage in your city it won't make any difference how many farms, clinics, and engineers you build when there is no one to work in them.

Work on getting the housing you have to evolve to higher levels so they can attract more new people to fill your city and lower your labor shortage. Things like wells help for a start, but a working fountain near housing (check the coverage on the overlay) is even better than a well. Making sure they have food, access to clinics, barber, hospital, and bath will also help greatly.

Again, use that overlay map function. Having a shrine or temple to one or more gods in their area manned by equites will also greatly help as will having some entertainment items like odeum, theater, arena, etc.

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:22 pm

Howdy, SCSocietiesRulz!

"SCSocietiesRulz" wrote:- my advisers say that I have low food stocks. But have i have like 5 graineies (sp?) and 4 warehouses.

Your Chief Advisor does not count food in residences, forts & markets, so your city can be doing well, but you still get that Red Alert. Generally ignore that one. You might need more farms & fields/pastures, but I cannot tell from your post. That indicator just is a guide to how much extra food you have & a poor one at that. It basically only counts food in farm buildings (not fields/pastures), granaries & trade buildings, ignoring even food in cartpushers.

A better way to check if your people have food, is to use your Health Advisor under nutrition. Each step means that a residence has more food types. However, a mothballed residence will still count as Poor (no food types) & should be ignored.

- I Have at least 6 clinics but im still getting epidemics?

Six sounds like a lot ~ too many. Do they have enough Equite labor from Domus residences? Use your clinic overlay to check their coverage. Do not double up on Services ~ only one for each general area.

- And some of my buildings are collapsing but i have engineering an prefects on every corner?

Do they have enough Pleb labor from insulae residences? Labor Advisor ~ Always set them to highest labor allocation from the very first second of the game. Also, do you have crimes? Population Advisor & Chief Advisor will tell you. Your people can set your city on fire if they are not happy.

- I raise taxes and lower wages but I still am not getting enough income (don't worry I stopped spending!)

That will make your people unhappy, so don't do that. Run at normal rates.

You need to spend a lot of your initial denarii to open at least one trade route & max it before you ever come off pause. Tax your markets also with a Tax Office, cuz they will bring in a lot of denarii.

Good Luck! :)
Last edited by Tinkerbell on Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:12 pm, edited 11 times in total.

PantherX

Postby PantherX » Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:20 pm

As another note: Sometimes fires can happen if your running in faster speeds.

The pathing breaks for prefects and engineers if you play in fast speeds, you may even just see them standing in place sometimes right near a fire. so either do not play in faster speeds or when you do go to fast speeds, cycle between the fire and collapse overlays to watch for any problem areas.

As the others have said, check your population to make sure you have enough laborers. If your a little low make sure to put prefects and engineers on high priority so that they stay manned and doing their rounds. More is not necessarily better if your labor is low.

Use those overlays, especially the fire overlay to make sure your prefects are hitting every building. They actually need to pass within just a few spaces to bring down the fire risk.

Use the overlays for health to see where the clinics and hospitals are covering. The coverage flows down the streets rather than just a specific distance.

Feel free to keep asking questions, that's how we all learn.
I Love this game!
Have fun!
:cool:

SCSocietiesRulz

Postby SCSocietiesRulz » Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:28 pm

thanks for all the great answers!!

Trust me, I will probably will have more questions soon
:D
Thanks again! :)

Return to “Game Help & Strategy”