Impossible to please equities...

Stuck and need help, or want to discuss strategy? This is the place!
SalmonCylinder

Impossible to please equities...

Postby SalmonCylinder » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:09 pm

I was playing this scenario and i noticed a lot of equities leaving cuz the 'pay was drastically low'. It was set to it's standard amount acc the labour advisor, so i raised it to max but still no improvement. They were getting everything else except the money somehow. Even though i had around 1300dn in my treasury (so i wasn't in any debt).
Just to be clear, i was providing 2 types of food, fountain water and 2 types of l & b goods, unemployment or taxes were not a problem either. Am i missing something?

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:37 pm

Howdy, SalmonCylinder!

My best guess is low treasury was the cause from either low income or too much building. Perhaps you had 1300 dn when the Equites were gone, but not when they got angry & started to leave.

To keep Equites happy, you need a treasury above zero (more for more total city population) at all times.

Raising their salaries just makes this minimum extra treasury required, to go up. Think of it as Equites begin to get worried about being paid in future months. Plebs have no such worries.

The "Low wages" message you get is mainly due to "no wages". Plebes get paid first & paid even if unemployed. Equites, however, must have jobs to get paid & even tiny Equite unemployment can make the entire class unhappy. It is best to run Equites not more than one domus unemployed & mothball extra domus to keep it there.

A game save would definitely help to see if there is anything else going on.

Good Luck! :)
Last edited by Tinkerbell on Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pratsman

Postby Pratsman » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:54 am

I also had a similar problem and the only solution is to increase the money in the Treasury (in your case, i m guessing anything in excess of 1500dn shud do it.) Dont increase the wages coz it will lead you to debt sooner. Increase exports for the same. Hope this wil help :)

Flammehav

Postby Flammehav » Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:47 pm

1000d in your treasury is enough to keep the equites happy. If you want some buffer try and give them 3 sorts of food and/or 3 different sets of common gods. That will increase their happiness and it will make them less likely to leave.

Also if you have the goods it cost nothing extra to give them more variety. They won't eat more if you give them all 3 food, only less of each, same with the common gods. If you give them only one, each house consume 2 loads a year, if you give them 2 goods, they consume one of each sort each year.

But most importantly try and stay over 1000d all the time. Use your saveings if they start to get really grumpy. If you have patricians in your city you can raise propertytaxes to raise funds, just make sure to put them back down afterwards, so the patriciants don't start to leave instead. Stopping importing and building for a while is also a good way increase your money. Also make sure less than 10% of your equites are unemployed. If 9,5% is unemployed they're happy, if 10% or more is unemployed everyone complains, even those with jobs.

Make sure all sales taxes are collected. I find those often pay for the wages alone, even if I don't have patricians in my city.

Return to “Game Help & Strategy”