what am I doing wrong?

Stuck and need help, or want to discuss strategy? This is the place!
pawz

what am I doing wrong?

Postby pawz » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:53 pm

Hello folks, I am returning to Caesar IV after several years and have forgotten some details. I would like to know why buildings so readily catch fire - and can I do anything about it? This is at the very start of a new game, so I only have a couple of farms and houses, market etc, and about 200 workers, and then buildings collapse or catch fire ( people too), and I lose half me work force and have to shell out for another dwelling or farm, or temple, whatever. What do I need to do to stop this happening please?

Keith

Postby Keith » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:23 am

what city is it?

You need prefects to patrol your city. You may have to set them on a high labor priority. Place the prefect buildings in strategic areas in your city.

Use your RISKS > FIRE overlay map to see which areas are prone to break out in fire.

Cities in arid areas of the empire are more prone to erupt into fire so you may need more prefects in those cities.

If you are playing a scenario where the wages changed up and down make sure you keep your labor force properly paid. You don't want to pay them less than the going rate or they may leave the city.

You also want to provide enough of the basic goods, food, and services that they need to keep them happy enough to stick around so more people can move into your city as conditions improve.

Prefects also handle criminals and keep the crime rate low otherwise people will leave. If crime gets out of hand or the people become unhappy enough they will riot and burn down the city.

Basic services would include a well for starters and later a reservoir, aqueduct and pump house for fountains for water. Use the WATER overlay to make sure that your housing is within the coverage area of a well or fountain.

pawz

Postby pawz » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:26 am

Keith, thank you - I have forgotten about overlays so will look into that. Prefects do not seem to be an option this early in the game. I am playing one of the regions I think - I came out of Kingdom before it got to the end of the tutorial - that was probably my first mistake! Thank you for your help though. :D

Return to “Game Help & Strategy”