Trade problem

Stuck and need help, or want to discuss strategy? This is the place!
r2r2d2d2

Trade problem

Postby r2r2d2d2 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:17 am

Hi everyone! I'm new here and I have a problem.
I'm in Tessalica, the mission in Macedonia.
I alredy opened the trade with the city "Lacio", that is by land but I can't sell anything.

I use to play Caesar III, but this is realy different...

Can someone helpme? Thanks!

Keith

Postby Keith » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:07 am

In Caesar IV there are cities that won't import goods from you, but may export to you. There are some that won't export to you and may only import from you. I believe you are in the Republic mission of Thessalonica. Sicilia only wants to buy timber. Sardinia only sells spice. Latium only sells silk and wants utensils. Your best bet is maximize the sale of timber and the making of utensils from the native iron ore deposits on the map.

Also, each city will only buy or sell a set amount from you each year. Each trade center displays a number with a slash between them (example: 35/50). The first number is how much of that item you have bought or sold. The second number after the slash is the limit on how much that city will buy from you or sell to you each year. If you have reached your yearly limit, the city won't buy/sell anything from/to you until the new year starts in January.

Make sure that any trading center docks have the ends of their piers in water and there are no obstructions blocking the end of the pier such as rocks.

Also, if there are any bridges over river between the point where the ship enters the screen and where the trading dock is located, it must be a ship bridge (not the other type) or the ships won't go past the bridge.

Land trade posts must be next to a road, and the city gates must be open and your city must not be under attack at that time. Trading stops in times of war. When a invader shows up, the city gates will close and cut off trading until the battle is over.

If you have put an item on "stockpile" in the Resource Advisor's screen, it won't sell the item until that box is unchecked.

If the trade center is too full of goods, it won't be able to accept more until you make room in it. It is usually useful to have a warehouse near the trade center taking goods from the trade center to the warehouse.

Remember each trade center can be set to hold a specific amount of each type of goods it deals in. If you set it for a low number by moving the slider for a item to the first notch on the scale it will hold just 8 until it is sold/bought to/from the next trader. That way you can buy or sell small amounts each time and not go broke so fast. Exotic goods are very expensive and only the patricians in their mansions buy them so buying small amounts will last a considerable time, depending on the number of patrician mansions you have in your city.

The ratings for Thessalonica are fairly low so you should be able to complete it with the trade routes you have and the local resources on the map. Below is screen shot of my own city after the mission was completed successfully.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Keith on Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

r2r2d2d2

Postby r2r2d2d2 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:15 pm

Thanks! This game is harder than the olderone :P I'ts more realistic... 'cause I couldn't trade, Rome destroyed my city, but now I won it, thanks a lot!

Keith

Postby Keith » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:34 pm

You must be out of debt by the end of the year or your favor takes a hit. It sinks automatically a little at a time so you want to keep away from the big hits like being in debt. Once the favor level sinks below 30 you start getting messages and when it goes below 20 your in big trouble.

Control your spending and export as much as you can. This is your major source of income. Taxes only defray costs slightly, but don't forget to place a few tax collectors near your markets and your patrician mansions. Patricians will pay a lot in taxes if you have enough of them in your city.

Not ever city in the game needs Patricians housing. Many missions can be easily won with just evolved insulae and domus housing. Insulae house your peasants, while domus housing houses the equites class. Equites are needed to run many buildings in your city such as religion, education and entertainment, etc.

You will also benefit from making things that Caesar will "demand" and "request". Note the difference.

Demands must be met on time. Fail and your favor level drops. Meeting a demand will not raise your favor.

Requests can be ignored, but you pass up a chance to raise your favor.

You can also give gifts to Caesar to raise favor, but use them sparingly. You only get three of each type. After you use up the third one the next gift of that size won't have any effect and you'll just have wasted some denari.

If you have an early boxed version of the game you probably have a small manual that might help.

If you did not play the "Kingdom" series of missions you skipped the game's tutorial. It is a good idea to play through the Kingdom level and pay close attention to the narrator and the on screen instructions.

I have attached my "victory" save file of Thessalonica (the one from the picture above), if you want to download it and look over my city first-hand.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

r2r2d2d2

Postby r2r2d2d2 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:41 am

Thanks! I'm having problems with progress now in the next one jajajaa because of denaries... but I'm saving some money with exportations so may I can have money to close the wall and evolve the equites houses...
You helped me a lot, thanks.

Keith

Postby Keith » Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:52 pm

That should probably be Burdigala, it's in the military branch of the campaign. The other city you could have picked was Caralis, which is in the peaceful branch of the campaign.

Military cities can be a bit harder because you'll have to fend off enemy attacks, which means you have to get your legions up and running soon. Which also means you'll have to setup forts, a recruiter, mess hall and training ground. You will have to make or import weapons and armor for heavy infantry legions, but they are the strongest you have. Light infantry legions only require weapons. Archers are handy, and sometimes cavalry are too. I tend to prefer to rely solely on heavy and light infantry my self. Get your troops training as soon as their legion has a full complement. They gain experience and confidence with training and won't die as fast.

One thing that helps is having Mars bestowing blessings on your legions. They will become better fighters and last long without training when that happens.

Peaceful missions can be deceptive because you may still get a enemy raid or two while playing, so don't let your guard down in those.

Walls surrounding the city not only help with your housing evolution, but they are your secondary defense. Be sure to put towers with one side of the tower attached to the wall along the length of each side. Attach all these towers with a road that is attached back to your city. Place some engineers along this road so they can keep the walls and towers from crumbling. The road connecting the towers will let the towers recruirt 20 guards each and they will patrol the top of the wall. They'll attack any enemy that comes into range with their bows and arrows. If you can, lure the enemy to fight a battle right in front of the wall where your towers and guards are. Towers will also sprout a ballista that can shoot bolts at the enemy as well.

Don't make walls too thick, there is no advantage to it and it wastes money. Enemies that attack with catapults can break down the thickest walls and knock down towers and gatehouses. So when an attack comes I will send some of my legions out to attack those catapults before they get too close to my city.

Towers don't need a wall, they can be free standing. So in really hostile areas having some free standing towers inside your city can save the day.

Prefects not only catch criminals they can help fight against invaders in your city. One trick is to build a lot of prefects in the path of a frequently invading enemy so the prefects can slow them down and kill a few enemy off. Their buiding will be a primary point of attack and the enemy will attempt to burn it dolwn. Once destroyed, those prefects are no longer available.

Keep a warehouse with a stockpile of weapons and armor near your recruiter. If you import weapons or armor it will be very expensive so only do it in small amounts and export a ton of other things to defray the cost.

The good thing about military cities is that they usually have smaller ratings requirements. Less population is required, and lower culture, security and favor settings are needed.

When you start a city build a good number of insulae to start the immigrants coming and to fill all the jobs your are going to make for them. I usually try to build at least 9 insulae for starters. As they evolve they will hold more people, of course. You don't want to have to keep waiting for workers to come. Of course, you'll need to feed them and find jobs for them, and meet all their wants in fairly short order or they will start leaving your city. So get that well and fountain in, reservoir and pump house, clinic, school, bath, and a shrine or two, basic market, food market, etc.

Return to “Game Help & Strategy”