is Key Code same as CD Key?

For all <a href="http://www.caesarivonline.com/">Caesar IV Online</a> related discussion
Luka

is Key Code same as CD Key?

Postby Luka » Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:45 pm

Trying to register to play online and no matter how I enter the key code from my Caesar IV disc sleeve I keep getting "error invalid CD key". Do I need to put in the - or spaces or is there some other code somewhere that I'm missing? Any info would be helpful, Thanks!

PhilL

Postby PhilL » Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:02 pm

Luka wrote:Trying to register to play online and no matter how I enter the key code from my Caesar IV disc sleeve I keep getting "error invalid CD key". Do I need to put in the - or spaces or is there some other code somewhere that I'm missing? Any info would be helpful, Thanks!

I have the same problem. I have tried it with the dashes without the dashes,upper and lower case numerous times.

PCDania

Postby PCDania » Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:10 pm

Have you installed the patch mentioned in the stickied thread at the top? The patch is only necessary if you have the boxed version mentioned in the thread.

What happens if you don't write anything?

Luka

Postby Luka » Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:44 pm

I did get the patch before I tried to register and everything, rebooted etc. I did call customer support and they are investigating. 1st they told me it may have been on the store end but since I watched the sales clerk open the box from the warehouse and then hand me my copy I don't see how that could be the case.

Sorry to hear others are having the same issue but I'm glad its not just me not being able to figure out how to input the code!

Kuplo

Postby Kuplo » Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:23 pm

I have the same issue.

I have an UNopened copy that I bought today at EBgames and the register for online play wont let me play either.

I've also tried it with UPPERCASE and lowercase and dashes and no dashes, and using spaces instead of dashes.

I've also got the patch installed but that shouldnt matter anyway since it's the server on TM's side that is not accepting the form submission with my VALID CD key.

I dont think I should need to mention it, but..... I've re entered the code correctly at least 8 times to insure that Im entering the right code, there are no Zeros and O's in the serial code so I've not confused any of them and the code is all uppercase so there is no mistake of 1's and l's

MarkDuffy

Postby MarkDuffy » Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:34 pm

I put in the keycode exactly as printed. Cap letters & dashes with no spaces. Worked fine. :)
Last edited by MarkDuffy on Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kuplo

Postby Kuplo » Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:47 pm

I have to wonder if they are working on the server that might have caused it for the people that aren't able to register.

I'll try it again and see if it's working now.

When did you register your CD key with the Online aspect Mark? I assume today, but do you recall at what time?

EDIT: Tried it again, still says
ImageError! Invalid CD Key.

I dont have a BONUS key, so I AM using the CD key that comes on the paper sleeve of one of the CD's that says CAESAR 4 KEY CODE
XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX
PART NUMBER S7255080

Last edited by Kuplo on Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JuliaSet

Postby JuliaSet » Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:47 pm

The game key is different than the BONUS key. Check the forums for the files. Someone was nice enough to upload the bonus file for us.

MarkDuffy

Postby MarkDuffy » Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:52 pm

I registered about two hours ago, Kuplo. :)

Kuplo

Postby Kuplo » Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:57 pm

Hmmm, if they are not working on the server than my next guess is that they dont have the algorythm correctly set on their authentication program for the CD keys that are distributed with the game or the machine that prints out the CD keys on the paper sleeves was taking a nap and just printed out random keys that work with the game installation but not with the online server..

Im sure they will fix it. And I am not worried about it because I've saved my receipt and can fax or email them a copy of my receipt, box cover, cd sleeve, cd etc. etc. etc. So I can certainly prove that I own the game if it ever came down to that, but I highly doubt it would come down to that.

Just have to wait till they get it worked out, no biggie theres much playing to be done "offline" before I really jump online to distribute any high scores that I've yet to obtain (hahahaha )
Last edited by Kuplo on Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Reed

Postby Reed » Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:58 pm

Looking into it...

For those getting this error, where did you buy the game? (city, state and store please - in case we need specific locations)
Last edited by Reed on Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Trebonius

Postby Trebonius » Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:15 am

The need to replace completely valid CD-Keys, will arise with online registration services. I will not speculate as to why or how this can be. But it will happen. In fact, it has already happened. I have been affected myself, in the past. Other titles, and other companies though. But the same problem.

So some kind of standard procedure would be helpful. Well, taking a picture of the CD/box/manual, scanning the picture, and then mailing/faxing it, can be a pain for some of us. ;-)

I am just going to pray that my completely valid CD-Key works. When the game arrives. If not, I hope there is a plan B. ;-)

---

PhilL

Postby PhilL » Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:25 am

Reed wrote:For those getting this error, where did you buy the game? (city, state and store please)

I bought mine at a ebgames in jensen beach florida. it worked fine to load the game.
Last edited by PhilL on Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kuplo

Postby Kuplo » Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:17 am

Reed wrote:For those getting this error, where did you buy the game? (city, state and store please)

Palm Springs, California, EBgames on Sunrise and Ramon.

Mine also worked fine to load the game. Also mine from EBgames was a fresh unopened box, I say this because EB stores usually remove contents from the boxes and give it to you when you make the purchase, but in this case, my box was still sealed.

allhailcaesar

thru mail

Postby allhailcaesar » Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:14 am

Received my box from vu games overnight shipping, will not take my cd key. worked fine for installing game but not for on line registering, keep getting message everyone else has.

MarkDuffy

Postby MarkDuffy » Thu Sep 28, 2006 5:18 am

If it helps, Reed, I got mine from GameStop In Mission Valley Center, San Diego. No problem registering. Works fine. :)

Kuplo

Postby Kuplo » Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:50 pm

I sent off an official support request to VU but have yet to hear back from them, hopefully today, although I suspect it will have to involve TM to actually get anyone that has this issue real help in the matter.

// Was looking forward to getting up at 4:30am this morning and giving it a go while it's quiet, but still doesnt work for me.

PhilL

Postby PhilL » Thu Sep 28, 2006 6:14 pm

Any news on this issue yet??

Kuplo

Postby Kuplo » Thu Sep 28, 2006 6:32 pm

I'd like to know as well.

I got back a response from VU/Sierra as follows:
"Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting Vivendi Games Technical Support.

My name is Ethan. I will assist you with game Caesar IV today. I understand that you get an error message Invalid CD-Key while online registration.

In this case I would suggest you to download and install the latest patch for the game that is Patch 1.1 and doing this will resolve the issue which you are facing right now. The link for the Patch is mentioned below.

http://www.sierra.com/en/home/downloads.html

Best regards,
Ethan
Vivendi Games Technical Support"

Ummm, I already have the patch installed and what does the patch have to do with the server authenticating the CD key?, it's not like the game is transmitting the CD key that I used to install the game automatically for me to the server. All that the game does is bring up my web browser and point me to the registration page where I have to manually enter my data. Had the game taken the information from me "in game" and submitted it on my behalf, then I would understand the patch being the problem.

Aaaaahhhhhhhhh! Theres got to be better support than this from Vivendi.

So apparently it looks more than likely that I or we are going to have to rely on TM to solve this issue.

Reed, please keep us aprised of the situation, as the tech support at Vivendi seems to not really know whats going on at least thats the way it appears to me at the moment, and of course I could be wrong, and it wouldnt be the first time.

//Kuplo goes running from the room pulling his hair out.
Last edited by Kuplo on Thu Sep 28, 2006 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ZiRo

Postby ZiRo » Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:05 pm

Kuplo wrote:I'd like to know as well.

I got back a response from VU/Sierra as follows:

Ummm, I already have the patch installed and what does the patch have to do with the server authenticating the CD key?, it's not like the game is transmitting the CD key that I used to install the game automatically for me to the server. All that the game does is bring up my web browser and point me to the registration page where I have to manually enter my data. Had the game taken the information from me "in game" and submitted it on my behalf, then I would understand the patch being the problem.

Aaaaahhhhhhhhh! Theres got to be better support than this from Vivendi.

So apparently it looks more than likely that I or we are going to have to rely on TM to solve this issue.

Reed, please keep us aprised of the situation, as the tech support at Vivendi seems to not really know whats going on at least thats the way it appears to me at the moment, and of course I could be wrong, and it wouldnt be the first time.

//Kuplo goes running from the room pulling his hair out.

The key wont be transmitted - but i'm sure a hash will be transmitted to ensure an authentic key. The patch may have some hashing algorithm fix that they have identified and would therefore result in the error being corrected - however it appears that the problem may not have been correctly addressed.

Return to “Caesar IV Online”