labors of herculaneum

For all <a href="http://www.caesarivonline.com/">Caesar IV Online</a> related discussion
grotewittebeer

labors of herculaneum

Postby grotewittebeer » Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:56 pm

Grotewittebeer recommands all CaesarIV-players who are eagerly waiting to be connected to the server again the splendid competition, created by Aramann and Hieronymus, Labors of Herculaneum, on http://www.citybuildingcontests.net. We can download a scenario on our own level and then play offline. It is quite different from what we're used to on the Caesaronline challenges, but it's great fun!

aramann

Postby aramann » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:13 pm

Thanks for the plug grotewittebeer! :D
It IS an amazing scenario. Definitely more hieronymus than me this time though! (probably why it's so darn good!)

Hieronymus

Postby Hieronymus » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:40 pm

Thanks grottewittebeer! :D Don't listen to aramann though - she's too darned modest sometimes! :p :D Without her this scenario would not even exist... ;)
Last edited by Hieronymus on Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aramann

Postby aramann » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:44 pm

:o :o :o You are SO baaaad H.
It's only true if one knows the whole inner story.
Although MOST scenarios with the Hieronymus/aramann stamp on them have one heck of a back story! ;)

Hieronymus

Postby Hieronymus » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:58 pm

"aramann" wrote: :o :o :o You are SO baaaad H.
It's only true if one knows the whole inner story.
Although MOST scenarios with the Hieronymus/aramann stamp on them have one heck of a back story! ;)

Oh I've NO idea what you mean A <innocent look> :p

I was just referring to the contest page which gives a fair description of the genesis of this thing:

Labors of Herculaneum is based on an original concept and storyline co-written by Aramann and Hieronymus, with most of the design "work" being done by Hieronymus, and most of the testing "fun" by Cathy and Aramann.

aramann

Postby aramann » Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:01 pm

<ogh>
Innocence my patootie. :p

ampora

Problem

Postby ampora » Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:51 pm

I have downloaded the map and given it a go, but have found that I cannot trade with anyone, as the open trade buttons are faded out, as are lots of other build buttons. I know you can´t build warehouses in the scenario but it didn´t say anything about anything else as far as I can remember. I thought everything might come on the further I progressed but that didn´t happen, any idea what might be causing this.

aramann

Postby aramann » Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:10 pm

That's exactly how it's meant to be played. Things open up as the game progresses. Trade is the second labor. :D

Jimaaten

Postby Jimaaten » Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:37 pm

ampora, concentrate on the labors and everything else will fall into place. ;)

Hieronymus

Postby Hieronymus » Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:13 pm

"Jimaaten" wrote:ampora, concentrate on the labors and everything else will fall into place. ;)

...especially on the second labor... if you're not careful, that is ;)

Jimaaten

Postby Jimaaten » Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:58 pm

"Hieronymus" wrote:...especially on the second labor... if you're not careful, that is ;)
Have I told you how evil you are lately? :p

Hieronymus

Postby Hieronymus » Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:13 pm

"Jimaaten" wrote:Have I told you how evil you are lately? :p

Not in the last few days Jimaaten! :p (What was your comment after your last submission? Ah, yes... "Damn you, Hiero" ;) )

You want evil? Try the Insane version! :rolleyes:

I used to be such a nice designer too, until one day just over a year ago, I encountered aramann and the Axis of Daggy Evil was formed.... :D

Remember Seutonius Paulinus Grinch? Want to find out about the final one in that line - Seutonius Paulinus Grinch XIII? Find out in two month's time :eek:
Last edited by Hieronymus on Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aramann

Postby aramann » Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:30 pm

"Hieronymus" wrote:
I used to be such a nice designer too, until one day just over a year ago, I encountered aramann and the Axis of Daggy Evil was formed.... :D

Yeah yeah yeah, blame it all on me... :rolleyes: S'OK, I'm used to it!

ampora

Still didn´t open

Postby ampora » Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:59 am

I tried to complete this game as advised from my previous post, and although the trade ports all opened up nothing else did. I managed to get to labour 5 but was being asked for marble, grapes, iron, and a cavalry fort, all of which I couldn´t supply because the buttons necessary remained faded out throughout until the end. I did manage to import the weapons and armour and had the quantity of wood stored, but I still couldn´t open up a recruitment post never mind a fort. Surely this is not how the game is meant to be played as it doesn´t make sense to me.

Hieronymus

Postby Hieronymus » Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:48 pm

Ignore the requests / demands for marble, iron and grapes. Marble unlocks for the 6th labor, grapes for the 11th and iron for the 12th. Once you have 20 weapons and armor (or more) in storage at a port, the recruitment post should unlock. When you have an active recruitment post the cavalry fort will unlock.

ampora

Game won´t progress

Postby ampora » Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:08 pm

After many attempts at this I have to give up as I am now convinced the map is flawed, the reason for saying that is because when I get up to the ninth level, the game never recognises that I have achieved the labour.
I have moved up to the tenth labour only twice and each time after four or five game months have gone by, even though I have had what was needed for all that time, 3 forts, 24 weapons, and small/med. villa, my last game I had more than what was asked for. I had more than a year to finish.
When I did jump to the 10 level the same again, I had more than was needed but it still wouldn´t move on. So what´s the point!
The fans keep rioting and burning down the arena even when I have 100% entertainment coverage and higher wages than needed, what more can you do
(I have attached my last map, to see if anyone can help me with the problem.)The game is a great concept but if you cannot progress to win there is no point in it, if there is something you have to do other than what is stated I would love to know :mad:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

goonsquad

Postby goonsquad » Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:46 am

I'd imagine the designers would have replied to this last post by PM, but for the record I have found the 9th one to be a bit dodgy too, also in the hard difficulty. The tutorial instructions and the repeating messages seem to be ambiguous. I'll work out the way through, I'm sure.

Ampora it does sound like your Arena is losing its gladiator access from time to time.
Last edited by goonsquad on Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:54 am, edited 3 times in total.

Hieronymus

Postby Hieronymus » Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:54 am

"goonsquad" wrote:I'd imagine the designers would have replied to this last post by PM

Actually I've only just seen this (RL and all that).

Ampora - I will look at your save when I can today, but as goonsquad is well aware, this is a CBC contest that still has a week to run and as such I have to be fair to the 21 contestants (so far) who have completed and submitted valid entries.

But there does appear to be a clue in your statement that citizens keep burning down your arena. This only happens if your arena has not had any gladiators for several weeks. You first get a message that Jasonus will not perform (hence whatever labor you are on will not complete), followed by a message that his fans are unhappy. It is only after these two warnings that you get the riot. Check your gladiator guild(s) - either they have run out of weapons or they are too far away from your arena.

Kiya

Postby Kiya » Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:14 am

"goonsquad" wrote: The tutorial instructions and the repeating messages seem to be ambiguous.

:cool:

Guess what people not having English as their first language might be thinking. :D

Hieronymus

Postby Hieronymus » Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:55 am

...although only 6 out of the 21 entrants so far speak English as their first language :)

Return to “Caesar IV Online”