Painting terrain textures in the editor - must be 2048x2048

Discussion and help with using the in-game editor
Tony Leier

Painting terrain textures in the editor - must be 2048x2048

Postby Tony Leier » Wed Oct 25, 2006 3:42 pm

To paint and modify textures, the editor needs to have textures that are 2048x2048, or the texture can get corrupted in unpredictable ways.

Note that the terrain COLOR textures for the scenarios that shipped with the game are 2048x2048, but the BLEND textures are 512x512. Both must be 2048x2048 when you load them in the editor. Covert .dds to .tga (or something), scale up the .tga using Photoshop or Gimp (or something), then save back as .dds. DDS Converter 2.1 (mentioned by couchpotato below) works for the conversion

Be sure to see this post for info on .dds formatting
Brian Ferullo wrote:See also this post

When playing the game, any .dds power of 2 texture should work, so you can scale terrain textures back down after editing if you want to reduce the size.
Last edited by Tony Leier on Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eperdos

Postby eperdos » Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:28 am

editing textures? is it posibl? .dds fils? how to open them in a paint program to edit them?

couchpotato

Postby couchpotato » Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:49 am

Search the Internet for DDS Converter 2.1. It will convert the files to png, jpg, etc. and then back into dds format.

Edit: Here's the link http://eliteforce2.filefront.com/file/DDS_Converter;29412
Last edited by couchpotato on Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Brian Ferullo

Postby Brian Ferullo » Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:28 pm

See also this post

Kuplo

Postby Kuplo » Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:33 am

So then when we edit some scenarios that shipped with the game, and paint the terrain than because the original texture files are only 1024 x 1024 is that why we're seeing sand blobs instead of the true textures that we paint?

If it is then that would explain a whole lot.

But perhaps if you have time you'd be willing to tell us how we can create one from scratch without using existing terrain textures that ship with the scenarios that are shipped with the game so in essence that we would be starting a terrain all from scratch.

Pi-Xerxes

Postby Pi-Xerxes » Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:09 am

Good question, Kuplo. I do not know much about photoshop, but I have used Gimp and other graphic editors.

What I was doing with the game's retail editor tool was 'modifying' the existing textures, not replacing them. I could create pure grass texture for example, but it was a modification of the existing 1024x squares. Thus all my copy and paste, rename, reload, etc.

It would be alot faster to know another way! let alone less 'blobs of pure sand' maps. That still happens to me once in a while. Even if you do it the way I did, it is not 100% accurate. I got that 'sand color' too, so it is not fool proof. heyaah. :rolleyes:

Most work, some do not as you can see.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Pi-Xerxes on Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kuplo

Postby Kuplo » Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:29 am

They're showing for most of the scenarios that ship with the game to be 2048 by 2048 at the blend files are 512 x 512 so I'm not sure which files you're referring to is the terrain textures that appears 1024 x 1024.

However I do know that there have been either blender texture files that are 1024 x 1024 I just don't remember which scenario it actually went to but, I just went into the scenarios directory and opened up a couple of the color files probably seven or eight of them and already they are 2048 by 2048 in size and their blend files are 512 x 512. Which would lead me to believe that we could edit them directly in the terrain texture editor without any problems but apparently that's not so since I still get Sandy blobs. Certainly there's an easier way than doing all of this renaming and removing and rolling around files and everything else that other members of done here just to get the terrain's actually work properly in the editor

JuliaSet

Postby JuliaSet » Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:01 am

Is some of this due to the size of the maps you source for your own maps?

Arretium, Capua, Genoa, Verona and Brundisium use a Very small (128x128) map.

Burdigala, Caralis, Narbo, Mediolanum, Syracusae and Thessalonica, use a Small (256x256) map.
Narona, Condate, Carthago, Tarraco, Emerita, Hippo, Londinium, Viminacium, Argos, use a Medium map (384x384)

Alexandria, Amida, Antiochia , Caesarea, Colonia, Corduba, Cyrene, Djedu, Ephesus, Lugdunum, Moguntiacum, Nicomedia, Tingis, Virunum, Ulpia, Tarsus, and Rome use the large map. (512x512)

I wonder if we have to match the source and the custom map we are making so that the textures might work? I don't know if this applies, but it might be party to the problem in some way. I can make dds files easily, so when we sort this out, I will be glad to tinker with them for us.

Maybe it doesnt matter about final map size, but I'd sure like to know how this works.
Last edited by JuliaSet on Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wodinoneeye

Postby wodinoneeye » Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:12 am

Easy editor patch -- to have the editor verify the associated texture file sizes and warn the player for any textures which dont meet that requirement........

Espartaco

how to convert xxx_Blend.dds to 2048x2048

Postby Espartaco » Sun May 27, 2007 9:42 pm

I got it yerterday to work and painted for hours on three copies of original scenarios.
Download from nVidia their DDS tools, open a command window, go to your directory where you have your Blend files and type these commands (I am using mylugdunum city as an example)
(1) Convert mylugdunum_Blend.DDS to tga:
readdxt mylugdunum_Blend.DDS
this will create a file mylugdunum_Blend00.tga
(2) Convert tga file to DDS 2048x2048:
nvdxt -file mylugdunum_Blend00.tga -prescale 2048 2048
this will create a file mylugdunum_Blend00.dds
that you would rename as mylugdunum_Blend.dds that would replace your original copy of the same name.

With this new 2048x2048 DDS file you can now paint to your heart content for hours, save once in a while just in case as I did yerterday -- got rid of stupid rocks in the middle of my block, shorten rivers do I can place bridges wherever I want, put more arable land, got rid of those building wrecks in Carthago, etc, etc, etc.....

Just for compleness, here is my Carthago city:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Editing”