Mons Argaeus

Post and download user-created scenarios and campaigns here!
Hieronymus

Mons Argaeus

Postby Hieronymus » Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:33 pm

Can you complete three tasks set by Caesar, and achieve perfect prosperity and culture, before the volcano erupts?

Another timed mission, but one that gives you a second chance - the volcano is more forgiving than Caesar ;) It is (in theory at least) possible to win after the eruption, if you can bear to rebuild the city. Unfortunately there are no accurate forecasts of when the eruption will happen - only hints and warnings along the way.

The three tasks to complete (one of which is a military request) are intended to be challenging, but are not quite as difficult as they first seem.

The map is new, though in essence the same as for Mazaca.

BTW - if your PC can stand it, the eruption is best experienced with weather effects ON. :p

Enjoy!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Hieronymus on Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alexasrosa

Postby alexasrosa » Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:32 am

ok Hieronymus

I know by now your "sadistic" side :rolleyes:

But, why...oh why am I getting these security results and these fires??? The food is perfect, employment also... but I'm not abble to get out because of security!

Is there a trick? A way out? Or am supposed to be doomed anyway???
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Hieronymus

Postby Hieronymus » Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:26 pm

Hi alexasrosa!

Sorry, there aren't any tricks with security in this scenario, and nothing specific to the scenario that would cause security to fall - believe it or not :) . So you're certainly not doomed! Your screenies show that there has been some crime, which explains the falling security rating - the question then is, what caused the crimes in the first place? Are there any clues from the plebs as to which ones are unhappy and why? Money and pay at least don't seem to be an issue.

Fortunately I do have a friendly tester who might have further helpful suggestions... however she's probably quite busy today ;)

EDIT: this thread might be helpful.
Last edited by Hieronymus on Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aramann

Postby aramann » Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:04 pm

Hi alexarosa!
Most of my suggestions here have been posted in other places on this thread... as in the lovely thread link in the post above me.
If you are absolutely positive your city is walled in (I put the game on pause and go over every inch of wall and sometimes add a bit more where the wall meets water) then I would suggest placing a jupiter temple and trying to force a benevolence, then playing on pause or slow and going over all the pleb housing. By mothballing and/or deleting each domus that has a red face you'll get rid of the crime problem. If you have the money I prefer to delete and replace immediately with a new domus as it makes the game run a bit quicker. Otherwise just mothball until the little face isn't red anymore then allow plebs to move back in. You can also up salaries and make sure everyone has food. Security climbs very slowly, about 1 point for I think every 25 game clicks... or is it 50? Heaven Games would have this info but you can watch by the percentage "done" on an industry to time this. Just be patient!
Good luck! Can't wait to see your win screen!
Last edited by aramann on Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cartpusher

Postby Cartpusher » Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:45 pm

Hi Alexarosa,

If the "friendly tester" is busy, I will volunteer to look at your map. I just finished it last night and wouldn't mind seeing how someone else approached it.

I'm pretty sure that I know where all the problems are. I needed many restarts on this one.

Hieronymus

Postby Hieronymus » Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:46 pm

Thanks for the offer Cartpusher :) In case you hadn't gathered, aramann is my tester (though she didn't test this one). If you can look at any save alexasrosa wants to post, that would be great! :D

alexasrosa

Postby alexasrosa » Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:32 pm

Thanks so much all you you!
I guess there is no problem with food or employment and, as culture is 100 with temples also.
I had managed to climb from 0 to 40 and then...0 again!

I'm posting the saved game, if anyone is willing to give a look.Hope this is the right file :o

Cartpusher

Postby Cartpusher » Fri Nov 23, 2007 5:37 pm

Alexarosa,

I like the look of your city. It's a little spread out for my taste and uses a lot more equites than I like to use, but we have seen that there are many ways to play this game.

If a building is allowed to catch fire because of inadequate prefect coverage, it is considered to be a 'crime' even if a prefect arrrives and extinguishes the fire before the building is completely burned. One of your buildings caught fire in May and started the security decline. You will lose two points per week if a crime has occurred in the last six months. If no crime has occurred in the last six months, security increases one point per week. So, if no more buildings catch fire, security will start to climb in November at the rate of 1 point per week and will reach 50 late next year.

Click on the Law,Security overlay and you can see where you have prefects and where there are gaps in coverage. I think you need to add three to five prefect buildings inside the walls and maybe two or three outside the walls to complete your fire protection coverage.

alexasrosa

Postby alexasrosa » Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:24 pm

Thanks so very much !!!

I'm going to follow your advise - I always forget the security overlay.
And yes, it's spread out. I always begin with a lot of good intensions, but then the 100 culture grabs me and I keep having to add more and more buildings, and that means more and more equities.

I still don't control that "city building" trick very well, specially when we're talking about very high scores.

But thanks again for your tips. Wish me luck: am going in - again ;)

Hieronymus

Postby Hieronymus » Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:43 pm

Good luck, alexasrosa! Thanks for sticking with it! :D

And thanks too to you cartpusher for your help!

I was going to say that the next scenario (2-3 weeks away!) won't have any problems with fires... except for... well, you can probably guess what might happen (if aramann and I have anything to do with it) :rolleyes:

alexasrosa

When at first you don't succeed...

Postby alexasrosa » Sat Nov 24, 2007 3:20 pm

Ok, my golden age may have been way back with the IBM ball typewriter and of the telex machine. But I simply and flatly refuse to be defeated by a computer game.
So I started from scratch and…. Voilá!!!

Now Hieronymus : you don’t give any objectives for favour… so…shouldn’t I have the YOU WIN screen by now??? What the…??!!!

Just a note: is this a tree…or is this a half eaten broccoli?

As for your new, and eagerly anticipated scenario… am already preparing myself to suffer~ :rolleyes:

Hieronymus

Postby Hieronymus » Sat Nov 24, 2007 3:44 pm

There are two possibilities I can think of, alexasrosa. One is that the culture rating might not actually be 100 (does the forum agree that the rating is this or just 99).

The other is that to win you have to complete all three tasks set by Caesar - one military request, a request for marble and a request for silk. Though there isn't any favor rating target, a rating of 46 suggests you might not have completed them all?

No idea about the broccoli tree - that's what you get in the Asia region :)

Cartpusher

Postby Cartpusher » Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:21 pm

I thought it was giant celery. :rolleyes:

Rnett

Postby Rnett » Sat Nov 24, 2007 5:44 pm

I cant stand them, they kept reminding me of asparagus or a green pipe cleaner. Image

alexasrosa

Postby alexasrosa » Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:29 am

Hieronymus wrote:The other is that to win you have to complete all three tasks set by Caesar - one military request, a request for marble and a request for silk. Though there isn't any favor rating target, a rating of 46 suggests you might not have completed them all?

Uhm... if that's the case is back to square one, 'cause I'll never have the time to build an army or buy all that silk now.
I tried to skip the army,'cause they eat too much and there is not a lot of fertile land available. But I could have bought the silk...but I thought why bother if there's no favor rating? "Dhang"

Back to starting over than... I will not be defeated!!!!

And yeap...I think is a mixture of broccoli with celery that had a pipe cleaner as a father :p

note: hate you and your friendly tester at this moment... ;)

Hieronymus

Postby Hieronymus » Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:41 am

alexasrosa wrote:note: hate you and your friendly tester at this moment... ;)

In defence of aramann I should say that she had absolutely nothing to do with this particular scenario :) For which I have to take full responsibility :D

Mind you there may be a sort of remake in the pipeline... albeit in a different place. So far I think aramann and I are tying at one really evil idea each for this scenario :eek:

aramann

Postby aramann » Sun Nov 25, 2007 2:01 pm

alexasrosa wrote:note: hate you and your friendly tester at this moment... ;)

That's awesome! Means we're doing a great job!
Unfortunately I didn't have anything to do wtih this scenario - wait till you try some of the ones I DID have something to do with. I'll take it as a compliment is you call Hieronymus and myself dirty names! :D

alexasrosa

A sad, sad story

Postby alexasrosa » Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:34 pm

*Sigh*

Let me tell you a story: Once upon a time, there was a more or less pretty city. It was a VERY safe city, VERY Prosperous and Culturally developed. A true paradise.
The ruler of this city, having heard of a previous one that only had fulfilled one of Cesar’s task and was condemned by a volcano, decided to fulfil the second request also - although it was a very costly one, that required a number of sacrifices from the citizens.

Ah ! But alas ! It was not enough….and the pretty city had the same fate of its predecessors and now awaits, under the hashes, for the archaeologists of the future.

See the pics: The previous city, the waste of all that silk and a pic of Jupiter’s humour (or is it another God’s humour…a less well known one, whose name begins with an H ?) . And the new city, the day before catastrophe.

BTW, the universe in witch this story took place (i.e., the computer) was so frustrated that it rebooted itself.
:(

And… note…: How in the world can the new one be worse??? Are you trying to kill us???
As anyone done this yet? Or am I the only crazy one? :confused:

Kiya

Postby Kiya » Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:48 pm

Jupiter must be exceedingly pleased with your city! He left one fountain where burning people can take a swim. :p

PS great story and set of pics :D

Hieronymus

Postby Hieronymus » Sun Nov 25, 2007 5:30 pm

Wonderful story and pics, alexasrosa! Makes it all worth while :D ;)

So which of the three tasks had you left undone - presumably the military request? Of course I could have been really nasty and burned down the fountain too :eek: I think it's fair to say that the wholescale burning of the city can put a strain on the PC, though I admit I hadn't expected that with just 5000+ population.

I see, so you're assuming that the new scenario (which is currently 5th in the queue, you might be pleased to hear :rolleyes: ) will be worse because it will have evil tester as well as evil designer? You could be right... This afternoon, in one of the two we're currently working on, I saw something I've never seen before - a flying trader :eek: I'd love to post a screenie, but it would be giving away too much at this stage ;)

Return to “User-created Scenarios”